IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, unlimitn said:

Just got an email from ticketmaster regarding the Helsinki gig on Sunday. 

Doors are 6:40 pm

Ilpo Väisänen playing 7 to 7:30 pm

Ae start at 8 pm (no end point given) :emotawesomepm9:

Hello btw

Musiikkitalo web site says it ends at 21:15 and there's an intermission (I guess between Ilpo and Autechre?) https://musiikkitalo.fi/en/events/autechre-2/

Also "Pop and Rock", lol

So, any chance someone's going to record it tonight?

Is it actually allowed to do that? I've already recorded lives but I genuinely don't know. I'm going to Turin in November and I thought I could take my PCM-D100 with me.

Edited by siisx
  • Like 2

Nice gig in Helsinki, too bad about the technical issues. Sounded like the soundsystem couldn't deal with the bass. But the music was great, at somepoint sounded like somerhing from the Draft era.

Ilpo was cool also. Seen one half of Pan Sonic (rip Mika).

• Like 8

Never understood that with AMP's and speakers on gigs.. 

Is the artist just coming in and gets to play on what they have? Not knowing if they gonna hear the bass properly. 
Can they not have any requirements at all? 

I hadn't heard any of the recordings from the previous sets before I went to the Helsinki show so I have no idea what was part of the actual music :cisfor: But I guess the high snapping sound shouldn't have been there?

I also hadn't heard Ilpo's solo stuff before so that was interesting.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, siisx said:

Is it actually allowed to do that? I've already recorded lives but I genuinely don't know. I'm going to Turin in November and I thought I could take my PCM-D100 with me.

Some, I think maybe most groups/artists don't like it. Some are ambivalent. Autechre are "taper friendly" and may have even said as much. Certainly they appreciate their fans enough to know we'd appreciate official soundboards/know they can make an easy buck off us doing so.

That said, the musical venues in question may have a different opinion on the matter than Sean & Rob. Which, if negative, I hope isn't overriding. But even if it is, one can record sneakily. If even this is not possible, no worries -- Sean has said that official recordings of this tour/recreation(s) of the set will be available for sale in due course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, back to last Sunday; I went to Musiikkitalo early so I could catch Ilpo Väisänen, and wasn't disappointed. Väisänen's half-hour set was choc full of raw drones and pulsing rhythms, deceptively minimalistic but by no means simple. There was an intermission between Väisänen and Autechre, so I got to meet some people I hadn't seen in quite a while. When Autechre started, the concert hall lighting was dropped to only necessary, meaning emergency exit lights only. The live started off hard and continued for most of the set with the same energy, at least up until the venue's sound system glitched out and major sound malfunctions started, which were semi-promptly attempted to be addressed, but the venue's system wasn't having it and almost a third of the set was plagued with sound problems and hard glitchy snaps (like needle pops on a vinyl scratches, deep ones). A friend of mine knows the audio people from the venue, and the gist of it is that the sound system just couldn't handle Autechre's sound - a lot of the speakers that were used will need to have components changed, subwoofers had been limited extremely hard (17dB) and the venue's brand new Optocore system's clock had drifted - so it was a systemic meltdown. Nevertheless, I stayed for the full duration (some people promptly exited when the problems started, but not necessarily due to them); the set was interesting enough, Autechre's sound design is always impeccable, but at times I was... bored. There was no dramatic arc to speak of, but a continuous pummeling of rhythmic pulses and sparkling high-end twinkles, lacking well nigh all harmonic or melodic sounds and phrases. Autechre is still in a league of their own, no-one does what they do with the intensity and skill they have, but I actually liked Väisänen's set better - and not because of the PA trouble.

Looking forward to hearing the soundboard recordings from the tour, can't be arsed to listen to external ones. I would think the Helsinki recording is intact because the problems weren't with Autechre's equipment, so it can be heard in full glory when released.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, dcom said:

So, back to last Sunday; I went to Musiikkitalo early so I could catch Ilpo Väisänen, and wasn't disappointed. Väisänen's half-hour set was choc full of raw drones and pulsing rhythms, deceptively minimalistic but by no means simple. There was an intermission between Väisänen and Autechre, so I got to meet some people I hadn't seen in quite a while. When Autechre started, the concert hall lighting was dropped to only necessary, meaning emergency exit lights only. The live started off hard and continued for most of the set with the same energy, at least up until the venue's sound system glitched out and major sound malfunctions started, which were semi-promptly attempted to be addressed, but the venue's system wasn't having it and almost a third of the set was plagued with sound problems and hard glitchy snaps (like needle pops on a vinyl scratches, deep ones). A friend of mine knows the audio people from the venue, and the gist of it is that the sound system just couldn't handle Autechre's sound - a lot of the speakers that were used will need to have components changed, subwoofers had been limited extremely hard (17dB) and the venue's brand new Optocore system's clock had drifted - so it was a systemic meltdown. Nevertheless, I stayed for the full duration (some people promptly exited when the problems started, but not necessarily due to them); the set was interesting enough, Autechre's sound design is always impeccable, but at times I was... bored. There was no dramatic arc to speak of, but a continuous pummeling of rhythmic pulses and sparkling high-end twinkles, lacking well nigh all harmonic or melodic sounds and phrases. Autechre is still in a league of their own, no-one does what they do with the intensity and skill they have, but I actually liked Väisänen's set better - and not because of the PA trouble.

Looking forward to hearing the soundboard recordings from the tour, can't be arsed to listen to external ones. I would think the Helsinki recording is intact because the problems weren't with Autechre's equipment, so it can be heard in full glory when released.

In Athens show too, it was a continuous pummeling for 30+ minutes and the first kind of phrases that, at least, I could follow were introduced at the 40 minute mark approximately.
From then on it was a banger and, the conclusion was super satisfying and emotional. I think that, unfortunately, the technical problems at the Helsinki gig didn't let the boys round it up properly.
It was very Sun-Ra as an approach to a live gig, I think. But the problem in Athens was the generally low volume level.
I wish the next tour sees them back in proper club venues for standing people only.

Edited by misuta Go
  • Like 2

Sean!
Do you have anything to say about the technical issues in Musiikkitalo?

It sounds like a nightmare 

My experience at the gig this past Sunday was generally positive, although the clicks and pops at their most prominent did limit my enjoyment of the concert a little. I've been an avid listener for roughly eight years (since teens) and this was my first AE_LIVE, so I guess I had a bit of bad luck there...

The concert was loud and relentless in its pummelling as described above, but that definitely helped convey the immense power of it. It started out quieter with an ominous wind-ish pad thing over some lighter beats, then just got amped up to 11 and barely went below a 10 after that, until the end. I didn't wear plugs for the duration of the Ae set. The person I went with said it sounded like "a force of nature", which I think is quite apt. Ilpo's set was nice as well, although that one I couldn't do without plugs.

Even got to talk to Sean a little before the gig as he was chilling outside the venue with a couple of people. He complimented my shirt, a black t-shirt on with the word 'ELECTRO' printed inside a white square. Saw Rob walking through the foyer as well a bit after that but didn't want to interrupt his swift passage. From my perspective it looked almost as if he went by undetected. :biggrin:

Overand, it's one I'll remember and I can't wait for a quality soundboard capture assuming they got a good rec. 

Edited by unlimitn
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, unlimitn said:

He complimented my shirt, a black t-shirt on with the word 'ELECTRO' printed inside a white square.

I saw you too, I have that same shirt, almost said so. I had a holographic/reflective ink Gundam shirt, also pretty noticeable.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, MIXL2 said:

very curious how different the sound will be, if at all, together with :z*f:

Tbh as much as I enjoy their collaborations with Hafler Trio, I can scarcely imagine how much more I'd enjoy a possible collaboration with :zoviet*France:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Autechre will send a code for some exclusive release for the Musiikkitalo gig attendees ?

"Hi,

According to our data, you have purchased a ticket / tickets to Autechre’s concert, which was organized on Sunday 11st of September 2022 at Musiikkitalo, Helsinki. We apologize for the technical problems that occurred at the concert. As a compensation Autechre would like to send you a code that allows you to download an exclusive release for attendees. The codes are unique to each ticket holder, so if more than one ticket has been purchased with your email address, please forward this message to the other members of your group."

• Like 13
  • Farnsworth 1

32 minutes ago, lofin said:

Autechre will send a code for some exclusive release for the Musiikkitalo gig attendees ?

"Hi,

According to our data, you have purchased a ticket / tickets to Autechre’s concert, which was organized on Sunday 11st of September 2022 at Musiikkitalo, Helsinki. We apologize for the technical problems that occurred at the concert. As a compensation Autechre would like to send you a code that allows you to download an exclusive release for attendees. The codes are unique to each ticket holder, so if more than one ticket has been purchased with your email address, please forward this message to the other members of your group."

keep us updated. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 9:55 PM, ignatius said:

bkhw85woygo91.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&ao9ylrhipygo91.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

via reddit. 

While the big screen with the gig details on it next to a massive concrete pike sculpture is major idm, the venue itself, for a ‘rave’….. Really???

I disagree with the decision to play here. The lads have definitely earned the right to play wherever the fuck they want but it seems to go against what I thought their live shows ‘are about’.  

When I think of the venues I’ve heard them hammer to pieces, the Que Club, Rainbow & The Medicine Bar in Brum and the Wharehouse Project & Musicbox in Manchester, it just feels wrong seeing this place. It’s borderline Spinal Tap.

True to form though, they prove yet again that they are proper awesome people and make amends for the sound issues at the gig.

best band ever.