IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

Maybe they'll just release the liveset on the AE store with free download codes for the Helsinki gig attendees but everyone will be able to purchase it ? would be so fucking dope, Sam, Rodney, pls

sort of thought they might release a full batch of the recent ones on their AE store…if you’re gonna review/master the one set for home listening why not do 4-5 (or whatever it’s been that they have soundboards of…i think they confirmed the first set soundboard was lost)

• Like 2

Would never happen until next year,

They have not done all gigs for this year, 

I don't understand why they go on tour so late in the year like September - December 
Is it because the weather is more IDM or something? 

actually ... the press release spoke of the "what" (a code to download the Helsinki date for free), but not of the "when": this could also mean "when the soundboards will be published - 2023? -, that specific one will be downloadable with code".

...Here an opalescent mist of resignation envelops me, bringing me back to the familiarity of my sterile habits 

:cisfor:

25 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

actually ... the press release spoke of the "what" (a code to download the Helsinki date for free), but not of the "when": this could also mean "when the soundboards will be published - 2023? -, that specific one will be downloadable with code".

...Here an opalescent mist of resignation envelops me, bringing me back to the familiarity of my sterile habits 

fuck off. ;(

• Farnsworth 1

30 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

dcom's quote from his email on the last page stated 'weeks 40 & 41' which i believe is sometime in October?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

dcom's quote from his email on the last page stated 'weeks 40 & 41' which i believe is sometime in October?

And therefore just around the corner :emotawesomepm9:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cern said:

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo. = Flop? 

I don't think so, although I did find the set almost boring at times, because there's no discernible dramatic arc, no tension and release, just otherworldly sound design and rhythmic pummeling. It was... fine, but not comparable to the sublime and exquisite experiences I've had with a lot of their music. I would prefer to hear something that has evolved, changed, transformed even, with time, experience and skill, but perhaps it's just me who's lost the ability to do differential analysis of their progression, and truly appreciate how they do what they do. I have been following Ae intensely since Incunabula, and have spent countless hours listening to everything they've released, so perhaps I've just found my saturation point - although I found Sign and Plus to be a breath of fresh air.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, dcom said:

I don't think so, although I did find the set almost boring at times, because there's no discernible dramatic arc, no tension and release, just otherworldly sound design and rhythmic pummeling. It was... fine, but not comparable to the sublime and exquisite experiences I've had with a lot of their music. I would prefer to hear something that has evolved, changed, transformed even, with time, experience and skill, but perhaps it's just me who's lost the ability to do differential analysis of their progression, and truly appreciate how they do what they do. I have been following Ae intensely since Incunabula, and have spent countless hours listening to everything they've released, so perhaps I've just found my saturation point - although I found Sign and Plus to be a breath of fresh air.

I see it similarly except I take the opposite conclusion, to me 2022 sounds as much recent AE as it can in a good way. I agree its a bit too well blended together but sound design wise, and rhythmically etc. its the best shit there is. If we are talking about the good quality Terraforma recording, the spectral wobbles right at the beginning, the sped up ecol4, the acid bass around 11:40, weird riff at 18:40 with the wobbles underneath, 29:27 slow down with the high resonance filter sounds, 46 minutes almost a throwback to that bit in onesix... lots of standout moments for me and its extremely fresh

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dcom said:

New parameters may take some time to digest. 

• Like 6

First Is that they doing their live gigs so late in the year like September-December 
and the only thing that caught my attention was that huge Surripere bass/robotic voice that sounds awesome,
Did Ae recorded that set? Nope 

While Aphex, Squarepusher etc go on tour their sets getting recorded with HD cameras and sounds pretty fucking good too, nothing you play daily but the vibe is there and we enjoying the whole show from the computer.

With Autechre is just a black screen and recorded with a phone from 2007 sounding like a wet fart in a microphone and the video is 1 minute long. 
Now we also know the sound system cracked in Finland for them. 
Pretty disappointing to hear they are still doing the MAX/MSP drones like with OneSix after the pretty fresh air SIGN and PLUS.
I thought maybe its gonna sound little bit like that and maybe pumping some fat beats but it doesn't seem so. 

2 years after this "fabulous Ae year"  Warp is gonna release some fancy Autechre Live bundle with some black graphic and some cool name to it like "TwoSwo+" but sorry Ae and Warp, my interested in this shit is 0 this year. 

AUTECHRE 2022 = FAIL 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 2

41 minutes ago, cern said:

First Is that they doing their live gigs so late in the year like September-December 
and the only thing that caught my attention was that huge Surripere bass/robotic voice that sounds awesome,

While Aphex, Squarepusher etc go on tour their sets getting recorded with HD cameras and sounds pretty fucking good too, nothing you play daily but the vibe is there and we enjoying the whole show from the computer.

With Autechre is just a black screen and recorded with a phone from 2007 sounding like a wet fart in a microphone and the video is 1 minute long. 
Pretty disappointing to hear they are still doing the MAX/MSP drones like with OneSix after the pretty fresh air SIGN and PLUS.
I thought maybe its gonna sound little bit like that and maybe pumping some fat beats but it doesn't seem so. 

2 years after this "fabulous Ae year"  Warp is gonna release some fancy Autechre Live bundle with some black graphic and some cool name to it like "TwoSwo+" but sorry Ae and Warp, my interested in this shit is 0 this year. 

AUTECHRE 2022 = FAIL 

wow, i literally don't get any of this.

still: sorry for your loss oft interest?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Iwanttobefree said:

I see it similarly except I take the opposite conclusion, to me 2022 sounds as much recent AE as it can in a good way. I agree its a bit too well blended together but sound design wise, and rhythmically etc. its the best shit there is. If we are talking about the good quality Terraforma recording, the spectral wobbles right at the beginning, the sped up ecol4, the acid bass around 11:40, weird riff at 18:40 with the wobbles underneath, 29:27 slow down with the high resonance filter sounds, 46 minutes almost a throwback to that bit in onesix... lots of standout moments for me and its extremely fresh

TwentyTwentyTwo doesn't event compare to OneSix, which was nothing short of amazing.

18 hours ago, oscillik said:

New parameters may take some time to digest. 

Unless you get to hear the recording(s) of the live set, the only impression you'll have is the one tour event you went to. I haven't listened to the bootlegs of other tour sets for quality reasons, so my only reference is the Helsinki gig, which I found at times boring based on being there.

I'll just have to see if the upcoming recording will make me revise my view.

Imagine, if you will, a time when the only experience you got from a live gig was the gig itself. There were umpteen things that could go wrong with the experience, and you'd feel robbed of your expectations. Now people will record anything and everything, so the gig isn't really something special or unique anymore, you can rinse and repeat/rewind until the cows come home. I had very high expectations of the Helsinki gig, and I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't jaw-drop amazed like I was with OneSix, which left me walking on air for a couple of days. With TwentyTwentyTwo, I shrugged and came home, and not because of the sound system problems.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcom said:

TwentyTwentyTwo doesn't event compare to OneSix, which was nothing short of amazing.

Unless you get to hear the recording(s) of the live set, the only impression you'll have is the one tour event you went to. I haven't listened to the bootlegs of other tour sets for quality reasons, so my only reference is the Helsinki gig, which I found at times boring based on being there.

I'll just have to see if the upcoming recording will make me revise my view.

Imagine, if you will, a time when the only experience you got from a live gig was the gig itself. There were umpteen things that could go wrong with the experience, and you'd feel robbed of your expectations. Now people will record anything and everything, so the gig isn't really something special or unique anymore, you can rinse and repeat/rewind until the cows come home. I had very high expectations of the Helsinki gig, and I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't jaw-drop amazed like I was with OneSix, which left me walking on air for a couple of days. With TwentyTwentyTwo, I shrugged and came home, and not because of the sound system problems.

It's not excluded that the system problems play an important role in the experience you have had.
It happened to me with onesix: the Turin date was heavily haunted by an inadequate system and, above all, by people screaming for music to dance. So I lost concentration, and for much of the live I was focused on telling myself to regain concentration. At that point I was out of the flow .. in a thing like that, if you fall out, everything seems random and boring. On the contrary, with the date of July of 222, I was sucked in: I didn't have any thoughts, I didn't even listen, I was simply in the autechre phenomenon. The spell still worked, as in past years. As for the experience, I wrote my impressions a few pages above (also regarding the absence of explicit plots such as crescendo, which in my opinion there were but in a completely new, submerged and disorienting form).
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the Helsinki date was not particularly successful (regardless of the problems), or maybe the line of this new set does not meet your taste, but I don't exclude that, listening to the soundboards, 222 may seem completely different to you

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

listening to the soundboards, 222 may seem completely different to you

Yes, I'm looking forward to my own reactions when I can listen to the set at my leisure in the environment and mindset I choose.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cern said:

AUTECHRE 2022 = FAIL 

not to mention that one of the two autechre is starting to look like Moby

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 2

only knowing them 'legs i guess i can kinda get behind the notion of the set lacking dynamics, which to me is no prob at all as long as it's full-on-dialed-to-11-blasting. but then again i do play grindcore music n shit so yo... different strokes?

majorly hyped about imminent soundboard, personally.

Edited by jaderpansen
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

only knowing them 'legs i guess i can kinda get behind the notion of the set lacking dynamics, which to me is no prob at all as long as it's full-on-dialed-to-11-blasting. but then again i do play grindcore music n shit so yo... different strokes?

majorly hyped about imminent soundboard, personally.

Same thing, hyped to the max, new AE always feel like Christmas to me.

• Like 2