IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

4 hours ago, YELLOW said:

@amni was the one who did a lot of “mastering” work on some of the live shows a few years ago 

Ah yes, they did a really nice job on my previous batch (London R.F.H., Brighton Concorde2, Manchester Granada Studios) - are you out there Amni?

Went to the first set at the Barbican last night. Completely incredible. Relentlessly brutal with moments of real beauty. Every "track" full of so much creativity and the transitions were done really well. Felt like a proper coherent hour of music despite the variety in each section. Also thought the soundsystem was really good, loads of clarity in the sound. Absolutely loved it, can't wait to listen to the soundboards.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, misc said:

Went to the first set at the Barbican last night. Completely incredible. Relentlessly brutal with moments of real beauty. Every "track" full of so much creativity and the transitions were done really well. Felt like a proper coherent hour of music despite the variety in each section. Also thought the soundsystem was really good, loads of clarity in the sound. Absolutely loved it, can't wait to listen to the soundboards.

Out of interest where were you sat? Cos I reckon that might be one of the biggest factors in enjoyment in there. Acoustics made a huge difference.

I know next time I see anything at the Barbican I'm going back centre, cheapest tickets and usually some of the last available.

3 minutes ago, zaizai said:

:wub:

i was about to freak out when i saw the backing visuals but then realized it was the ZF set. if i payed good money to see ae, i better not be able to see them.

• Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 3

I wonder if they'll ever want to come back to Vancouver, I think I read somewhere around here that they hate it tho lol? Sean pls? I'll go to Seattle if I have to. 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, subsub said:

nice! Thank you for sharing. One of the better sounding tapes of this tour so far and the material itself seems different than other shows to me.  

Curious what is the best quality tape that’s surfaced so far? Other than Helsinki official of course. I haven’t followed super closely so I might be missing a good capture but before the Helsinki soundboard i’d settled on a homemade “remaster” of this recording 

14 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I wonder if they'll ever want to come back to Vancouver, I read somewhere around here that they hate it tho lol. Sean pls? I'll go to Seattle if I have to. 

Same thing with Paris, Don't remember the interview but they were talking trash about the Parisian Public during the 2005 tour (if I remember correctly) Can't blame them TBH since I hate this hellhole, really hope they'll come back to Lyon...

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, oscillik said:

Hard disagree.
I've never heard them so loud and clean live. I thought it was great.

sound and clarity was great - I love the Barbican - being seated for Ae felt odd to me. I'd have save through a 3rd set. 

18 hours ago, commercial said:

Who's the best person on the forum currently for sorting out files?

I have recordings of both Barbican sets but they will need some subtle mastering attention and hosting somewhere, I don't have a mega account etc. I'd like W.A.T.M.M.ers to be able to hear them but don't want them splashing all over YouTube...

I'm willing to help on this task

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neurone said:

I'm willing to help on this task

Hi there,

They are 48KHz, 24Bit WAV recorded on a ZoomH4npro - both recorded from the stalls - 1st set from Row J, central left, 2nd set stalls Row G dead-centre - both need some handling of the bass end, a bit of balancing of the mids and top end to make it breathe a bit more as the low-end can be a little overwhelming, but still needs that punch. Send me a DM and I'll get the files to you if you want to give it a go.

Edited by commercial
spelling mistake

14 hours ago, Username said:

Did you record the ZF sets too?

Yes! I'm not sure if I can share them about as the guys didn't manage to record their sets, they had some pretty bad technical problems in soundcheck and it wasn't possible for them to sort it, so I've passed them on in case they want to do anything with them - send me a DM and I'll let you know

• Like 1

4 hours ago, subsub said:

woah, this like helsinki's lil b-boy brother. sharing quite a bit of pallet, but this one's seems more upfront n funky, also think i know what ppl meant with the "dial" part.

if this is similarly better in hi res like the other one compared to bootlegs, we're in for another god damn treat alright. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Won't get to see the wonderboys this time round but just browsing this thread is good vibe central. The excitement is contagious, Sean chiming in with good tidings of things, concert photos of togetherness (fu covid) and lush recordings trickling in from here and there. 

How have the zoviet france sets been? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ooqpoo said:

How have the zoviet france sets been? 

I only saw the first one (apparently the two differed on the night) - Very nice though very slight. Their backing visuals (a still image of what looked like vertical strips of a photo of the middle of the forest (edit: See @commercial's photo 6 posts up ? ) ) were actually a perfect representation of what it sounded like: Like the sound of wind blowing through trees ran through nicely tuned resonant filter playing soft ambient notes. They managed to fit in what sounded like two distinct pieces (the first with percussive water-dripping sounds leading the aforementioned tree-wind/resonant sounds and the second with faint tribal beats over tree-wind/resonant sounds)

Was definitely a stark contrast to the chaos the Ae boys brought but really nice all the same. Not sure if they were pushed for time but the finish seemed a little abrupt - like they were told to wrap the thing up in 30 seconds when they actually had a 10 minute wrap-up planned !

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I only saw the first one (apparently the two differed on the night) - Very nice though very slight. Their backing visuals (a still image of what looked like vertical strips of a photo of the middle of the forest (edit: See @commercial's photo 6 posts up ? ) ) were actually a perfect representation of what it sounded like:

It's a real-time video, not a still, if you stayed on one section of it you would have seen the wind move some of it and the light shifts, it's just *very* subtle!

As for the timing, yes, they were up against the schedule, usually they have an hour to develop the different shifts and themes, thirty minutes is a little short for them to fit the narrative arc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

Out of interest where were you sat? Cos I reckon that might be one of the biggest factors in enjoyment in there. Acoustics made a huge difference.

I know next time I see anything at the Barbican I'm going back centre, cheapest tickets and usually some of the last available.

Way up at the top level on the right. I was a little worried about it as they were some of the last seats available, but thought it sounded great.

Also with the set itself, I caught many glimpses of both ecol4 and glos ceramic in there. There was a lovely bit maybe around 15 mins in where those glassy descending synth stabs that dominate the second half of glos ceramic came drifting in but in a completely different context to the track. It was so nice. Then it felt like elements of ecol4 popped up all over the set. Two of my favourite tracks from the last few records so was really great catching hints of them here and there. 

• Like 4

A review is up on The Guardian

Like the pulsating dark matter we encounter when we close our eyelids, Autechre’s live environment is liable to switch at any moment from dreamscape to nightmare, all watched over by their intricate hardware manipulations. Tonight, the unassuming pair take to the Barbican’s grandiose concert hall, transforming it into a formless black for an hour of improvisations.

Edited by casual helipad
  • Like 6