IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

51 minutes ago, Turbo Zwanengestuif said:

I am already happy with this recording. 

This is actually eerily close to how I heard it (was wearing 'concert' ear plugs to not exacerbate my tinnitus, as was a little worried quite how loud Ae would play!)

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 1:49 PM, cern said:

It's becoming pretty boring with the Max/Msp drones and just random weird noises. 
We want them crazy gritty Autechre glitchy beat violence oooooooiii !!! 

Out of curiosity, what is your favourite album of theirs?

Out of curiosity, what is your favourite album of theirs?

Chiastic Slide and Confield is tight after that. 
Least favorite is Oversteps and Onesix, there are some gems but overall it's little bit slow and repeating. 

and yours? 

Helsinki soundboard absolutely flawless as ever

Some absolute slander in this thread

yeah. it's wicked. it's autechre doing autechre. it sounds new to me. lot's of new designs. lot's of subtle stuff and spacial stuff. listened in the studio a bunch. sounds killer in there. 

• Like 5

Do we count elseq 1-5 and NTS Sessions as albums? Some would say no. If they don't, I'd say my favourites offhand would be Exai, Untilted, and Quaristice. I certainly would place Confield and Chiastic Slide not far behind, good choices. I think my least favourite would be Amber.

Edited by splesh

I consider them albums. Ae albums are collections of tracks which belong together and are longer in duration than singles/eps.

Although I must add that I consider EP7 to be an album as well. Rather than an EP. Too much music for an ep, imo. And stands on its own legs as an album in their entire discography, imo. 

The live sets however are just that.

• Like 2

I really like the last 20 minutes of the 2nd Barbican set. While it has a recognisable hip-hop vibe, harmonically it is some of their most dark and sinister work IMO. Can’t wait to hear it when they release the full quality recordings.

Edited by webby
Spelling
  • Like 4

Yes everything flows together very well however sometimes a Osla for N-track is showing up. 
It's like pineapple on the pizza. You could like it alot or not so.. you can even think it is totally alien.. 

What Im very curios about is that Draft 7.30 kinda sound going on with their 2022 live sets. 

yeah. it's wicked. it's autechre doing autechre. it sounds new to me. lot's of new designs. lot's of subtle stuff and spacial stuff. listened in the studio a bunch. sounds killer in there. 

out of curiosity, what is your input on this?

I consider them albums. Ae albums are collections of tracks which belong together and are longer in duration than singles/eps.

Although I must add that I consider EP7 to be an album as well. Rather than an EP. Too much music for an ep, imo. And stands on its own legs as an album in their entire discography, imo. 

The live sets however are just that.

stands on its own legs is an understatement. easily top-3 in their discography personally

• Like 2

To each hir own, but I'll never understand the urge to twiddle knobs after the 'chre have put their stamp on it.  Into the fan fiction bin it goes with stereo differences, 45>33 versions and lush nulls :sorcerer:

Wonder if this clown even stopped to consider for a second that whatever "sounds much better" (to him) might not apply to others, might just have something to do with the playback system/environment, or that his mastering abilities might not be superior to whoever did it for Shah/Raj-approved release.

• Like 4

To each hir own, but I'll never understand the urge to twiddle knobs after the 'chre have put their stamp on it.  Into the fan fiction bin it goes with stereo differences, 45>33 versions and lush nulls :sorcerer:

Wonder if this clown even stopped to consider for a second that whatever "sounds much better" (to him) might not apply to others, might just have something to do with the playback system/environment, or that his mastering abilities might not be superior to whoever did it for Shah/Raj-approved release.

William is far from a clown, and his arguments sound very reasonable to me… not one of those  “I know better” arguments you refer to. 

• Like 3

William is far from a clown, and his arguments sound very reasonable to me… not one of those  “I know better” arguments you refer to. 

and there is a follow up to the tweet. I just asked if the setting makes sense in a sophisticated studio environment maybe...

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 8.04.34 PM.png

Sorry but I already have a low tolerance for audiophiles, and even smaller one for those who zealously enjoy fixing the unbroken burger, so feel free to draw the Venn diagram however you want.  I prefer just to cane Autechre, and this set slaps.

• Like 6

I have a reasonable system for playback consisting of mainly a Cambridge Audio amp, Acoustic Energy floor standing speakers and a Sony subwoofer. The room isn’t treated (it’s in my lounge) but you can crank it up and it gives a ‘Club vibe’ if you want but the normal volumes I listen at it’s got decent clarity and depth. I often tweak the sub level a db or so depending on what I’m listening to to balance the spectrum a little but nothing drastic.

I have only listened to the Helsinki soundboard a couple of times when it got released and pretty much did the opposite to Mr Fields suggestion and cut nearly all the volume from the low end as it was completely unlistenable at my ‘standard’ settings. The second half improved but I honestly came here to read up in case there was a rogue file going about that was all messed up I thought it was so out of balance (imo of course) - the other soundboards translate really well on my speakers (from the older tours) so I really don’t know what to think. People said the gig was a pummelling bass fest so maybe drowning everything out with sub bass was the intention….

Out of interest, people who are really enjoying it, what you playing it on?

Out of interest, people who are really enjoying it, what you playing it on?

I did nothing to the flac. It sounds awful in my car but that’s not surprising. Even when new that system wasn’t great and at 18 yrs old it’s kinda blown. 

in my studio it sounds fantastic. Dynaudio BM6mk1 + BM9s sub. It sounds great. Volume is low but otherwise it’s pretty balanced. Lots of subtle stuff happening with the synths and reverb. I suspect that if they master this they’ll bring the synths forward more ?? 
on my stereo in living room it sounds fine. Tannoy reveals which roll off at 65hz or something dumb. But it translates fine. 

also, just judging by William fields releases he does a very different thing to his music when it comes to sound design/mixing/mastering and has a very different sound compared to autechre. Not criticizing him in any way. He just likes a different sound and it is really nothing like autechre’s “texture” and space. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have listened on several different systems of mine, headphones speakers car, and never thought the tape was lacking in highs or too bassy. On every listen I appreciated an unusual silken delicacy to the tonal balance. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just applied some limiting to their raw capture, it has that sort of quality and it will be interesting to compare this version to the “proper” release later on.  It sounds plain ol *weird* and i loved that it didnt activate my tinnitus. I did not interpret that quality as a lack of high end, I just enjoyed it. I think some folks hear strident sharp highs as extra detail while I tend to just hear extra pain. 

William Fields does have a point, sort of. Having tried his recommend setting on my last listening I can understand how the Helsinki soundboard could seem a bit rolled off on the high end to someone. 9db is entirely too much though. Insanely too much IMO. Crazy territory. But he has a point...sort of

The music itself is wonderful. I've had frustrating sessions where it didnt make sense and just sounded like a dude scraping a piano string accompanied by a bed spring and a tamagotchi 303 alligator. I've had listens where it all congealed for me and the world was beautiful. I see lots of mention of 48 min onward. I nominate the middle 20 or so minutes...somewhere between 22:00-48:00 (who knows where bits enter and exit with this set) as some of the most humorous and ridiculous jams I have ever heard. The balls on these guys! "this is our live set"

It's great.

Edited by monoppus
forgot to add some dumb points
  • Like 1

the first Barbican is the secret ingredient of the initiation into the Eleusinian mysteries, Roberto and Sisifo are a facade, the copyrights go to Demeter on person. The second is certainly an experience (and I have yet to assimilate a lot), but I don't think it can be compared to everything that happens in the first, especially from here on out 

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

18 hours ago, ignatius said:

I did nothing to the flac. It sounds awful in my car but that’s not surprising. Even when new that system wasn’t great and at 18 yrs old it’s kinda blown. 

in my studio it sounds fantastic. Dynaudio BM6mk1 + BM9s sub. It sounds great. Volume is low but otherwise it’s pretty balanced. Lots of subtle stuff happening with the synths and reverb. I suspect that if they master this they’ll bring the synths forward more ?? 
on my stereo in living room it sounds fine. Tannoy reveals which roll off at 65hz or something dumb. But it translates fine. 

also, just judging by William fields releases he does a very different thing to his music when it comes to sound design/mixing/mastering and has a very different sound compared to autechre. Not criticizing him in any way. He just likes a different sound and it is really nothing like autechre’s “texture” and space. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

I had another listen today and unfortunately I stand by my initial findings and can’t say it’s a good mix in my opinion. 

for example around 45 minutes the sub drowns every thing that much that the other percussion sounds like someone feebly knocking a door - in fact hardly anything can punch thru the low end. To compare I put on the New York set from 2015 and also the quaristice soundboard and they both sounded immense - huge bass but the snares etc crack thru (chenc9 section is fabulous) and the synths are all clearly heard with plenty of depth. The difference between those two and the Helsinki set is night and day to my ears.

Whatever though, I didn’t pay for it etc so I’m not complaining. I just found it strange that there seems to be a difference of opinion about it.