IGNORED

Mystery VHS with some Boards of Canada tunes/elements

omnii

I found this interesting. If it's a hoax old BOC album kudos to whoever made it. There is a version of Boqurant at 14:20. It could easily be a cover or maybe even just pitched down but this is a fun listen regardless. 

Edited by omnii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Big Brain 1

I refuse to believe that that the description is anything other than 100% undeniable FACT. All of this DEFINITELY was a thing that happened:

A few or more years ago I used to work at a local Red White & Blue Thrift center and the employees would always get first pick on any of the items that were dropped off. There was a box full of VHS tapes, some of which were horror movies. I grabbed four of the tapes. The tapes have remained on my shelf and never watched any of them until recently over the pandemic when the entire world was in lockdown. I went to go watch The Shining. I took the tape out of it's box and noticed there was no label on the VHS tape. I popped it in and to my surprise this is what was on that tape. I was a little irritated, as I am a big Stephen King fan and was looking to watch the movie. I fast forwarded the tape, but it goes all blank after the music and clouds stop. I figured, some jack-ass decided to over dub cheesy music over some boring video footage of clouds. After all these months, I decided to convert the VHS footage to digital and post it. 

• Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

52 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I refuse to believe that that the description is anything other than 100% undeniable FACT. All of this DEFINITELY was a thing that happened:

A few or more years ago I used to work at a local Red White & Blue Thrift center and the employees would always get first pick on any of the items that were dropped off. There was a box full of VHS tapes, some of which were horror movies. I grabbed four of the tapes. The tapes have remained on my shelf and never watched any of them until recently over the pandemic when the entire world was in lockdown. I went to go watch The Shining. I took the tape out of it's box and noticed there was no label on the VHS tape. I popped it in and to my surprise this is what was on that tape. I was a little irritated, as I am a big Stephen King fan and was looking to watch the movie. I fast forwarded the tape, but it goes all blank after the music and clouds stop. I figured, some jack-ass decided to over dub cheesy music over some boring video footage of clouds. After all these months, I decided to convert the VHS footage to digital and post it. 

Yeah the overexplained backstory is the least believable part of it. The less info the better for this kind of stuff.

entire yt channel for a single video

backstory says they were annoyed about it, yet they went to big efforts to produce this yt channel, make track timestamps by listening closely, and write a full backstory, then ask for help identifying every track

sounds like they tried to make boc clone music, mixed real boc in with it, added clouds, recorded it onto a vhs and recorded it back to digital

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 1

9 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

entire yt channel for a single video

backstory says they were annoyed about it, yet they went to big efforts to produce this yt channel, make track timestamps by listening closely, and write a full backstory, then ask for help identifying every track

sounds like they tried to make boc clone music, mixed real boc in with it, added clouds, recorded it onto a vhs and recorded it back to digital

I think this is the most likely scenario.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

so is the uploader trying to insinuate that this is BoC? i guess they're expecting people to recognize the BoC covers on their own and get on board the hype train, rather than actually mention it in the description. very tactical.

there are many, many awesome BoC covers on youtube from honest, talented people (Boqurant in particular is very popular). the covers on here sound just like that - they don't sound like real early/demo versions, they're clearly recreations.

i could go on about this, but i think it's plainly obvious. the whole thing has a garish, plasticy vaporwave feel to it, it doesn't even sound like it was made in the 1990s.

Got excited there for a minute. 12 posts on a new thread on watmm has more kudos and weight to it than those nice but headless chicken posts on twoism ? 

• Like 1

There was a follow up video. I didn't watch it but I did glance at the caption. A friend of mine did see it though. In the upload he visits the thrift store and shows his VCR/usb converter but doesn't actually show any footage of the tape playing on it. I believe the caption said that he would leave the video up so people could rip the audio and he definitely said the video is not for sale. Shortly after this upload appeared the entire channel was deleted. Kinda weird to go to the effort just to ditch the whole thing but maybe that's part of the lore this person is trying to create.

image.png.d133162267af25f201a1996f13933bd7.png

Edited by omnii

creators of musical fakes are the true fans and upholders of the spirit of the artist.  their dedication to the continuance of releases is so absolute, so pure, that they will put themselves in a position of receiving shame to keep the air of mystery and intrigue alive.  not only do they deserve the utmost respect, but we do not deserve any of theirs

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

5 hours ago, omnii said:

There was a follow up video. I didn't watch it but I did glance at the caption. A friend of mine did see it though. In the upload he visits the thrift store and shows his VCR/usb converter but doesn't actually show any footage of the tape playing on it. I believe the caption said that he would leave the video up so people could rip the audio and he definitely said the video is not for sale. Shortly after this upload appeared the entire channel was deleted. Kinda weird to go to the effort just to ditch the whole thing but maybe that's part of the lore this person is trying to create.

image.png.d133162267af25f201a1996f13933bd7.png

Anybody have the follow up video URL? I'm trying to resurrect the video

In Boards Of Canada-Facebook Groups people getting so excited and hyped about this and love it so much. 

Here on Watmm: What is this fucking bollocks fake ass shit 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I use to snigger at twoism but now I genuinely feel a bit sorry for them, not in a patronising way either. BOC definitely not the band to be obsessed about when nothing is happening. Which is nine times out of 10, all of the time.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2