IGNORED

Mystery VHS with some Boards of Canada tunes/elements

omnii

22 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

I use to snigger at twoism but now I genuinely feel a bit sorry for them, not in a patronising way either. BOC definitely not the band to be obsessed about when nothing is happening. Which is nine times out of 10, all of the time.

This place used to be as obsessed.

The little beat track at 9 minutes is awesome.

• Farnsworth 1

Relistened to this and enjoyed the tunes even more the second time. I usually don't enjoy music that is overtly derivative of BOC.

I originally wasn't sure if this was an intentional hoax or someones mix taken out of context because I had only skimmed the description. Reading the overly elaborate lore included kinda spoiled the overall fun for me but I'll probably revisit the music again.

Hey fellow cynical watmm BOC fans ? 

Just took my usual brief morning stroll over to twoism and the vhs/thrift store thread has absolutely erupted (not a phrase you hear that often associated with twoism) I wonder what’s going on? 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:15 PM, omnii said:

There was a follow up video. I didn't watch it but I did glance at the caption. A friend of mine did see it though. In the upload he visits the thrift store and shows his VCR/usb converter but doesn't actually show any footage of the tape playing on it. I believe the caption said that he would leave the video up so people could rip the audio and he definitely said the video is not for sale. Shortly after this upload appeared the entire channel was deleted. Kinda weird to go to the effort just to ditch the whole thing but maybe that's part of the lore this person is trying to create.

image.png.d133162267af25f201a1996f13933bd7.png

The Shining cover printed out and glued to a blang VHS tape sleeve. Commercial tapes didn't come in sleeves like that ever as far as I know (I worked in two different large, independent video stores for something like 5 years combined in high school and college).  Plus he didn't even cut the notch out evenly.  

Unless it was a deliberate attempt to make it look like some kind of shady flea market bootleg, but those usually came in clamshell cases.

Also, like other people mentioned, the audio doesn't sound even vaguely like audio that has hit VHS.

Music is pretty decent but they didn't do a very good job with the framing concept.

EDIT: of course, this is aimed mostly at zoomers who've probably never even used a VCR so it doesn't really matter, I jsut always appreciate it when that stuff is actually done well and it's not like it's very hard to get a chepa VCR and $10 USB capture dong'e and make it convincing, even now that cheap, working VCRs are drying up a bit.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Just took my usual brief morning stroll over to twoism and the vhs/thrift store thread has absolutely erupted (not a phrase you hear that often associated with twoism) I wonder what’s going on? 

Love Fredd-e posting in there every so often like a parent telling a bunch of kids high on sugar to calm the hell down. He's doing God's work there !

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:16 PM, beerwolf said:

Hey fellow cynical watmm BOC fans ? 

Dammit.  You got me curious, so I took a look at twoism; first time I've visited that site in years.  Now I feel like the short bus kid who ate his crayons and has a tummy ache but doesn't understand why.

Here's my theory...........

A bit of rivalry is fine. It makes me chuckle. Nothing more, nothing less. They get pretty tetchy about Joyrex, which he also finds amusing. In the great scheme of things, it’s just dust blowing in the breeze.

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 5:16 PM, mcbpete said:

Love Fredd-e posting in there every so often like a parent telling a bunch of kids high on sugar to calm the hell down. He's doing God's work there !

Fred’s someone who rues the whirl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1