IGNORED

Romance & Dean Hurley - In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Limited Cassette)

fumi

ELP072_Cover.jpg

https://boomkat.com/products/in-every-dream-home-a-heartache-6e3a15a9-6f8d-4792-b0e5-c319afe2bce4

Twin Peaks and Melrose Place fiends beware: Lynch protégé Dean Hurley meets the none-more-enigmatic Romance for a spellbinding, scanline-obscured examination of VHS-frazzled post-vapor euphoric melodrama on a feature-length episode resourced from YouTube’s shared memory banks. Limited edition tape housed in a semi-opaque red case, including a download of the release dropped to your account.

Since joining forces with David Lynch on 2007’s 'Inland Empire’ as a sound supervisor, Dean Hurley has worked with the cult US director on the majority of his projects, mostr famously as a sound designer on 2017's unforgettable ‘Twin Peaks: The Return'. On his own, Hurley has carved out a niche for a unique brand of burned melancholia that joins the dots between crumbled NYC illbient and stonewashed ambience - as heard on 2020's ace "Concrete Feather". Meanwhile Romance, whoever they, he or she might be, has spent the last few years proving to us that high and low art can exist simultaneously in perfect harmony, most recently sweeping Celine Dion samples into gut-wrenching Tarkovsky-esque mistral forms on the incredible 'Once Upon A Time'.

Together, the duo divine a masterstroke of concept and execution, ‘In Every Dream Home A Heartache’ celebrates the pulpy, melodramatic appeal of daytime soap opera, and its now nostalgic allure, thru a finely smudged lens of rearranged samples from YouTube. Embracing the genre’s curdled glamour and heart-rending tension from temporally displaced, hauntological perspectives, the duo draw on rich online archives as well as personal repositories for a contemporary classic that echoes the groggy air of The Caretaker and Pinkcourtesyphone’s valerian vapours via mistily soft-focussed nods to Angelo Badalamenti and Mark Snow.

Bathed in absorbing soft focus and the faint promise of menace in the air, the 13-part suite drifts scene to scene with a heart-in-mouth quality and flicker of intrigue that evokes the genre’s hyper-melodramatic examinations of moral conflicts, secret relationships, adultery, and familial turmoil amidst the mundane landscape of the domestic interior. Like the work of Hurley’s peer, David Lynch on the original Twin Peaks series, he and Romance wrest a poetry from banal conventions conceived to keep viewers hooked, dangling us by a silvery thread with their gripping yet ephemeral limning of life and death narratives and navigation of nostalgic chicanery.

A smudged masterpiece, no less.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
On 4/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

Peep the Eno 

I've been really wanting to pick up For Your Pleasure recently, specifically because this has been popping into my head a lot.  Somehow the only one I've ended up with is County Life, and even though original pressings of For Your Pleasure have come through work for under $5 a few times this year I never bothered to get one and now that I want it I haven't seen a copy in a couple months.

I guess I sort of undervalue Roxy because I've always been sort of underwhelmed by most of the solo Eno stuff (except Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy, which is a pretty good album) and the association is so strong I tend to think of them as an Eno band when they really, really aren't.

EDIT: Here Come the Warm Jets is pretty good, too.

Edited by TubularCorporation