IGNORED

BOC synth's and gear

Guest moket

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roygbiv.mp3

nota bad effort really considering he mainly used the default flstudio apps

oh my, that sound is nearly identical.. just needs some proper subtle fx on it and better eq and a better overall mix and mastering and it could pass for the original sound any time!

Guest february31st
too much glide and too much reverb i rekon

I didn't listen to the original while adjusting the synth sounds and fx, which I later regretted. Immediately after I posted it, I listened to the original and noticed that the original has:

1)almost no portamento in the bass (possibly the melodies too, didn't really pay attention to those)

2)more muffled synth sounds (the degree of muffling, i.e. the cutoff, seems to waver up and down)

3)shorter decays (in general)

4)a sweeping pan effect in the piano part

5)a richer-sounding piano (possibly a CP-80?)

6)quieter melodies

7)possibly a slightly simpler piano riff

8)bass sounds like it uses a slightly asymmetrical square wave shape

And of course the original was most likely created using 75%+ analogue sounds, which is impossible to do with FL and no equipment.

So yeah, far from perfect, but eh, good enough for jazz.

Guest BunnyRabbit

too much glide and too much reverb i rekon

I didn't listen to the original while adjusting the synth sounds and fx, which I later regretted. Immediately after I posted it, I listened to the original and noticed that the original has:

1)almost no portamento in the bass (possibly the melodies too, didn't really pay attention to those)

2)more muffled synth sounds (the degree of muffling, i.e. the cutoff, seems to waver up and down)

3)shorter decays (in general)

4)a sweeping pan effect in the piano part

5)a richer-sounding piano (possibly a CP-80?)

6)quieter melodies

7)possibly a slightly simpler piano riff

8)bass sounds like it uses a slightly asymmetrical square wave shape

And of course the original was most likely created using 75%+ analogue sounds, which is impossible to do with FL and no equipment.

So yeah, far from perfect, but eh, good enough for jazz.

9) More attack on the bass.

Nice.

This just shows that, err, I dunno, it's the ideas, not the gear wank that matters - or something.

Guest Raddcliff

oi...not to be harsh...but thats killing me.

sounds like you DL-ed the midi for that track and then just assigned it to your own sounds. whats killing me is the sounds are too sharp and that tinkly shit. and that sh101 sound is weak.

sorry for being so harsh, but that song is like pillows for my ears and to hear it shredded like that irks me.

Guest february31st
9) More attack on the bass.

Nice.

This just shows that, err, I dunno, it's the ideas, not the gear wank that matters - or something.

Interesting, because the attack on the bass is at maximum. I think the attack sounds weak because the decay wasn't fast enough.

Raddcliff:

I didn't download the MIDI file - I was actually the person who made that MIDI file that was going around.

You're welcome to make a better re-creation of "Roygbiv" or improve on my version any time.

Guest february31st

sounds like you DL-ed the midi for that track and then just assigned it to your own sounds. whats killing me is the sounds are too sharp and that tinkly shit. and that sh101 sound is weak.

sorry for being so harsh, but that song is like pillows for my ears and to hear it shredded like that irks me.

Either you either have some unbearably sensitive ears, or the knowledge that this was made with Fruity Loops biases your ears. Or maybe you've listened to the original too many times. If you compare the audio production aspects of the original to other professionally-produced electronic tracks by other artists, the original Roygbiv sounds murky, unclear, and lacking in "bite".

There's no need to use such caustic hyperbole ("killing me", "shit", "shredded"). I don't understand why people get angry with me just for covering a track and sharing it on line, as if I did something to offend them. Roygbiv is not sacred, nor is any other track; music is merely a contrivance to alter people's emotions (something of which BOC is VERY aware--BOC exploits this feature of music more than most if not virtually all musicians). And there are much better examples of "shredding" the track (i.e. remixes) available on the web.

It was interesting listening to Roygbiv like that. Thanks. I liked it. It's ironic that it sounds more child-like than the original due to the simplicity of it. Funny.

Guest Raddcliff

Either you either have some unbearably sensitive ears, or the knowledge that this was made with Fruity Loops biases your ears. Or maybe you've listened to the original too many times. If you compare the audio production aspects of the original to other professionally-produced electronic tracks by other artists, the original Roygbiv sounds murky, unclear, and lacking in "bite".

There's no need to use such caustic hyperbole ("killing me", "shit", "shredded"). I don't understand why people get angry with me just for covering a track and sharing it on line, as if I did something to offend them. Roygbiv is not sacred, nor is any other track; music is merely a contrivance to alter people's emotions (something of which BOC is VERY aware--BOC exploits this feature of music more than most if not virtually all musicians). And there are much better examples of "shredding" the track (i.e. remixes) available on the web.

sorry, im no musician and im NOT terribly articulate. but this is just how i feel about it. and this is NO remix. flat out a attempt at a dupe. i do like remixes of boc tracks. hungusamongus did some awesome accoustic covers of boc.

again...im just giving critism with a poor to very low level vocabulary. again...not very articulate on this end.

nice job putting that midi file together, its on my phone as a ring tone. but i still dont like the sounds you chose in your mix. thats just my opinion.

and sure, ill give it a go...try to do a roygiv lift so you can shred the shit out of it to get some kind of redemption. but keep in mind, along with a lack for werds i have even less skill putting music together.

to reiterate...nice job on the midi file. i still dont like the mp3.

Guest Raddcliff

february31st...

not sure why i got all asshole-ish on your version of roygbiv. i've thought about it and that was unnecessary. [possibly a shitty day] regardless...didnt need to use that choice of werds.

im still gonna post my attempt at this track...and you can still rip the shit out of it. i feel as though i kinda deserve it.

sorry bout' that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dogboy73

Roygbiv.mp3

nota bad effort really considering he mainly used the default flstudio apps

Very nice....

That's fantastic! Good effort :boc:

I want to have a go using nothing but Reason 3 ........ Wonder if anyone has already done this?

Archived