IGNORED

Personal interpretations of music

vkxwz

Some short thoughts that I wanted to talk about with some people that are actually deeply interested in music, since I know very few of those in my own life.

1. Do you believe that there is one most "correct" interpretation of a peice of music, that is closest to the artists intentions and own view of that music? I see a fair amount of people that seem to think that this sort of perspective is wrong, but I think that their view is missing the point of music in a way, like receiving an email and deciding that you can interpret it however you want and all the interpretations are the best. I still think there is a lot of room for differences in interpretations that are all still "getting it" but they are more akin to how 2 people may feel differently about a colour scheme.

2. I've been curious about consistency between different peoples feeling about what music in conveying, I've found some very strange youtube comments but the most interesting things I've seen are from personally surveying people I know, playing them something and asking them what emotion is being conveyed. One thing I found was a lot of what I would call projection, where they just gave an emotion that consistent with how they already felt / how i would expect them to feel regardless of the track, this surprised me a lot, and made me wonder if they paid attention at all. Another thing that was common was that they would hear anything electronic and call it "video game music" or "background music", or even referenced something specific that had some common sound, but didnt match the vibe at all. this type of things seems like "missing the point" or failing to connect emotionally to the music at all.

3. I had some luck with doing the same as point 2, with some tracks from early aphex or some skee mask, where their interpretation was so similar to mine it was uncanny. This happened enough timeand with specific enough descriptions (that always surprised me a LOT) that it cant just be luck. This feels to me like times where me and the other person listening were much more connnected to the music and were feeling something much closer to what the artist intended.

Anyone have any thoughts on this type of thing?

And I did a survey of 12 people for In the maze park by AFX if anyone is interested in reading the responses, I was weirded out by some of them honestly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, _vow_of_silence_ said:

When people ask me what kind of music I'm into, I just say, every style as long as it's shitty music... Yeah I'm that edgy... 

Whenever people say "I listen to everything" I imagine playing them some noise or pretty much any ae from the last 20 years, because inevitably "everything" is a pretty small subset of music available today.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

10 hours ago, vkxwz said:

Whenever people say "I listen to everything" I imagine playing them some noise or pretty much any ae from the last 20 years, because inevitably "everything" is a pretty small subset of music available today.

Yes and the difference is bigger than 60s or 70s let's say, when all modern music was made. Today there are so many styles an subgenres that even for the most versated melomaniac it could be problematic to say that phrase, at least on a literal way. I guess that most of us use it on a vague context about styles we listen to, but then is a relative issue.

maybe you could use eclectic as a definition.

2 minutes ago, Diurn said:

Yes and the difference is bigger than 60s or 70s let's say, when all modern music was made. Today there are so many styles an subgenres that even for the most versated melomaniac it could be problematic to say that phrase, at least on a literal way. I guess that most of us use it on a vague context about styles we listen to, but then is a relative issue.

maybe you could use eclectic as a definition.

Yeah I'm just nitpicking about the word choice, It is an extremely common response nowadays it seems. Going around calling your own music taste eclectic when people ask what you listen to is not it though, conjures images of neckbeards and trenchcoats etc, for me at least