IGNORED

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

1 hour ago, WurstPLUS said:

1.6.11, latest ColumnsUI and see screenshot, this is what you are looking for.

Screenshot 2022-07-08 100640.png

seems to be a added on component download no ? since i dont have that section. But im on a earlier version aswell. Do you know if you update foobar you lose your music setup?

Thanks for showing.

Edited by Wunderbar

I’d be more than happy if they (The Smile) make another album. Not really fussed about Radiohead anymore, the run from The Bends to In Rainbows and all the B Sides and EPs is impeccable. Hail To The Thief gets a bit of flak but even that is a strong 8/10 album. After that, apart from a few tunes, it seems like diminishing returns.

Seems everyone on this album is on top form, don’t see any reason why it should be a one off. 

Edited by beerwolf

• 5 months later...

Live album just released. Comments on YouTube say this video is only up for a few days and then will be taken down. Dive in!

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

skinner's drumming compliments them so well. saw them in brooklyn in november and they sounded enourmous with just the 3 of them. thom and jonny switched instruments on almost every song.  fantastic stuff really.

• 5 months later...

Bending Hectic is really good, came here to post it too lol. As usual though on first listen I can't help but compare it to its live versions. I remember Thin Thing album version having to grow on me after having the original live version from 2021. I do like the changeup before the Johnny Power Chord toward the end. 

Edited by Brisbot

On 7/8/2022 at 5:36 AM, beerwolf said:

I’d be more than happy if they (The Smile) make another album. Not really fussed about Radiohead anymore, the run from The Bends to In Rainbows and all the B Sides and EPs is impeccable. Hail To The Thief gets a bit of flak but even that is a strong 8/10 album. After that, apart from a few tunes, it seems like diminishing returns.

Seems everyone on this album is on top form, don’t see any reason why it should be a one off. 

I think it's good they have stripped the band down for now. Phil, Ed, and Colin are off on their own doing new things so hopefully when they get back together in 5 years they will put out a worthy album.

• Like 1

Happy to hear the new track.  I wish they would say on Bandcamp if this would be on a subsequent album (so we don't have to buy it separately).

Interesting, I believe this is the first thing Nigel Goodrich has not produced? As good as he is, I think its about time they shake things up in that department... Same goes for Radiohead imo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, atypic said:

Happy to hear the new track.  I wish they would say on Bandcamp if this would be on a subsequent album (so we don't have to buy it separately).

They did say this is a one off single - this won’t be on the next album

• Like 1

Solid track

EDIT: Awesome track. Oh the string section. Aww the ending. Exit Music vibes. 

Personally I do not care if an album will be coming from Radiohead or Smile.

Edited by WurstPLUS

8 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

Interesting, I believe this is the first thing Nigel Goodrich has not produced? As good as he is, I think its about time they shake things up in that department... Same goes for Radiohead imo.

Would love a Brian Eno produced Radiohead record

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jules said:

They did say this is a one off single - this won’t be on the next album

That's really strange. Seems like a no brainer to go on LP2 which Thom has already said they are working on. It's like releasing Paranoid Android as a single, then not including it on Ok Computer. Does not compute. Of all their new tracks only debuted live, it's probably second best behind Just Eyes and Mouth

Edited by Brisbot

The first 6 minutes really reminds me of the best bits of Meddle/Obscured By Clouds era Pink Floyd. Then explodes into almost the heavy parts of OK Computer era Radiohead.

And that my friend is a recipe for brilliance. 

Blows those Squid blokes right out the water.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 2:12 AM, Brisbot said:

That's really strange. Seems like a no brainer to go on LP2 which Thom has already said they are working on. It's like releasing Paranoid Android as a single, then not including it on Ok Computer. Does not compute. Of all their new tracks only debuted live, it's probably second best behind Just Eyes and Mouth

Just Eyes and Mouth was the only one left off of the first album though. And Bending Hectic was played quite a bit during their last tour. I think they’re just super fertile at this point and moving very quickly compared to how they generally work. The new stuff is very jammy and I am assuming there will be a few longer running tracks like this one. Skinner suits them so well. And the way Thom and Jonny trade instruments during their set is a testament to how much they are pushing this work. It’s extremely enjoyable to watch unfold.

On 6/28/2023 at 6:59 PM, jules said:

Just Eyes and Mouth was the only one left off of the first album though. And Bending Hectic was played quite a bit during their last tour. I think they’re just super fertile at this point and moving very quickly compared to how they generally work. The new stuff is very jammy and I am assuming there will be a few longer running tracks like this one. Skinner suits them so well. And the way Thom and Jonny trade instruments during their set is a testament to how much they are pushing this work. It’s extremely enjoyable to watch unfold.

I should say they have released songs as singles in the past and included it on the album half a year later, a few times in the 90s. Bending Hectic seems like a no brainer for the album. Then again so did Staircase which was better than King of Limbs for the most part.

Even in this day and age of streaming I’ve never heard Pablo Honey ? 

Maybe something to do with never liking Creep, and I presume that’s by miles the best track.

Edited by beerwolf

Havent heard it myself for about 25 years but from what I remember yeah its pretty awful, kind of milquetoast Pixies/Throwing Muses knockoffs but trying to be more pop and mainstream. Creep or that song above are probably the best ones. There a few songs where Thom is trying to be all snotty like Johnny Rotten that are pretty cringey.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:02 PM, beerwolf said:

Even in this day and age of streaming I’ve never heard Pablo Honey ? 

Maybe something to do with never liking Creep, and I presume that’s by miles the best track.

This is actually the best track on Pablo Honey:

• Thanks 1