IGNORED

Underworld - Juanita 2022

14 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

Bought the vinyl.  Somewhat expensive and shipping was also a ripoff ($20 to US, some were saying $50+ to ship to AUS).

I usually love the Tomato design / art but I really haven't been feeling anything design-wise in the recent "drops".

But you still bought it, so that's all that counts for them! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, springymajig said:

Listening to the new one now and at least this one is significantly different to the original, I can barely tell the difference between the "new" Dark Train and the original.

Mind you I still wouldn't buy this but it's neat!

Springy! Hi mate!

Also, totally agree - at least this version of Juanita is substantially different. Still won't spend whatever ridiculous amount on the vinyl though.

• Like 2

£25 for two versions of the same track, one of which was released 20+ years ago. I mean, really.

I love Drift Series 1. It would be utterly impossible for it to be all bangers, although in my experience everyone seems to have a very different idea of which tracks are the keepers. The Sampler disc is pretty excellent as an album for standalone listening, the rest of it kind of invites playlists and skipping to your favourites, but if listened to in full it's a fascinating insight into their creative process too. Best thing they've done since Oblivion With Bells (which is my favourite UW record, possibly controversially), and second best this century. 

I love the first two tracks on Barbara for their 'throw everything at it and just do something totally weird and un-Underworldy' energy, the rest of it just feels like b-sides. Or not, given how good their b-sides used to be. But yeah, mostly just ok, little in the way of really exciting, gripping music. I pretty much stopped listened to it after a few months. Barking... well, they were creatively and personally in a really, really bad place at the time, and you can really tell. There's a better version of the album to be made from the second disc in the boxset and early versions posted on underworldlive.com, but even then the relentless verse/chorus structures and unimaginative compositions just lack their usual idiosyncratic weirdness. I suppose the poppy EDM co-production on the final album makes sense in that context, but it's just really, really not what I want from Underworld. They're the only two albums I don't love though (ignoring UW Mark 1), AHDO is totally underrated. Still hoping for that boxset later in the year, they definitely said they were working on it a while back. My guess would be that Drift Series 2 will commence once the promo campaign for that has finished. I get the feeling they're happiest when they've got a that restless creativity going, which is probably why they're doing these little drops in the meantime, something to keep them busy when they're not actively recording a new record.

• Like 1

It’s hard for me to criticise Underworld because they are high up in my echelons of favourite artists of all time and with Drift 1 proved they still have the chops but yeah I think the price for this record is a bit OTT. But it was quite clear what one would be getting so can’t really complain. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Found the Juanita tracks on YouTube last night, posted by Underworld, so that is super cool. You can listen to it for free, and if you really have to own the vinyl the option is there. That's quite good of them isn't it.

Then I decided to search for footage of gigs I've attended, and was surprised to find this:

My first visit to Ibiza and my first Underworld gig. Lots of mangled faces in that crowd! Weird lineup that night if I remember correctly. Craig David, Sonique, Paul Van Dyk.... And miles from nowhere. Had to walk home in the heat of the morning, have a shower and get on a coach to fly home. 

• Like 2

well, had a listen, I prefer the original a lot more than the 2022 version.

yeah the 12" is way too expensive for what you get.

but then yeah the youtube upload is nice.

new merch : you can buy underworld socks  lol . next : underworld underwear ? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Sizes available: Tiny (holes) or Jumbo

designer voodoo, phone sex, and 501s.

I'm sure you've probably read the lyrics to Banstyle.  That song is dirtayy.

• Like 1