IGNORED

Koray Kantarcıoğlu - Loopworks 2

fumi

A sequel to 2018's ace "Loopworks", Istanbul-based artist Koray Kantarcioğlu expands his scope from 1960s and '70s Turkish records to include vintage TV samples, new age tapes and jazz recordings. Properly haunted soundscapes for anyone into The Caretaker, Philip Jeck, Ekin Fil.

Another killer from Discrepant, "Loopworks 2" advances Kantarcioğlu's method by allowing it to spread its wings somewhat. The producer still uses vintage loops to create queasy, quasi-nostalgic soundscapes, but his sounds have been pulled from a wider range of sources, entrenching the album in a hard-to-place out-zone rather than (specifically) 1970s Turkey. So lengthy opener '1982 / Nepa 01' uses filtered new age synths to echo the 1980s DIY cassette scene without sticking too closely to the established rulebook. Kantarcioğlu's process is unsettling: he's subtle but uses noisy, reverberating processes that echo The Caretaker. 

Additional elements are unclear, but Istanbul's Ekin Fil contributes vocals and "sound textures", while drummer Berke Can Ozcan adds percussion. These new elements are lost in Kantarcioğlu's dense atmosphere like tears in the rain, everything shaping itself into a continuous, slowly shifting soundscape. It's impressive to witness.

https://boomkat.com/products/loopworks-2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, X4creek said:

i will check this out mainly because i have not heard a single Turkish artist that impressed me

and i literally live here...

how is that possible? the foremost pedagogy of psychedelic bangers is held by turkish music

p.s. this loopworks record was pretty dope. might have to pull the trigger and make the purchase after hearing the samples