IGNORED

Twitch AMA

NewSchoolScience

On 6/11/2022 at 2:52 PM, cern said:

Sean always shits on traditional music composing, he even said Trackers are fascist bullshit lol

You are cool and all that Sean but everyone doesn't have your brain

In my opinion it’s more related to them being “drum machine kids” (his words) and starting doing music that way and thinking on loops more than being smart (although he clearly is). 

Edited by asmartkidbcn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ignatius said:

i guess it wasn't henry cowell but was henry cow. this british band?

definitely henry cow, he also mentions fred frith at one point who was part of the group according to wiki

8 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

it has to be 13x0 step surely

yeah those hi hats throughout the track might be 808, not sure though

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Next time, someone please ask him to release piob mix 2

Just stumbled upon it. But this ones probably in the basket "download at sight, because will not get rerelease"

this is so beautiful! ... 

• Like 4

On 6/10/2022 at 1:53 AM, Satans Little Helper said:

everyone needs it.

There’s a lot of variation in how people learn this stuff. But the constant is that people learn. Or rather, they need to learn. Social behavior is to a large extent an acquired skill. Think of how people learn a language and read and write. I’m oversimplifying, but odds are that if you can read/write/speak on a normal level, you are a normal human being. You’ve got the skills needed to become a normal socially adapted human being. With the ability of being (acting) social. (Note: being social is an act)

Also, I’m sure you’ve heard sayings like ‘never to old to learn’ or ‘you always keep on learning’. This stuff is literally everywhere.

To illustrate, a link to a page with quotes on learning: https://www.dashe.com/blog/motivation/inspiring-learning-quotes/

In short: it is normal that people need to learn this stuff. But theres a lot of variation in how they do it. 

I find this stuff happens at an earlier age. Maybe teens, 20's. The social behavior thing. Of course that is constantly changing now with political correctness. But I digress.

Then it switches into learning yourself and what you are willing to give and take from the world. What your limits are and how much you want to extend yourself to the world. How much stock you take in your reflection in others. 

Edited by marf
  • Like 1

btw Rob was totally right about what he said about nature being technological. We think the internet and cameras and hard drives and diskettes are so artificial and all of this but but thing is there is no difference RLY between the robot dog in black mirror and the dog running loose down the street. Nature and the universe is extremely technical, mechanical, process / function driven across the board. Organisms have cameras, microphones, hard drives, AI and all of this nonsense, and cells have them too. When a dog perceives somethging it goes through the retina, up thru a fucking cable into the brain and is then processed like a fucking AI bullshit computer (not that it's like AI but at least computer). Also the virtual world is totally a part of the physical world, it's just another layer. Our brains are virtual and organisms are even virtual to an extent, so all of this internet and virtual shit is just yet another expression of the machine that is the physical world.

Also I liked what he said about being fresh. U know, replicating someones work is a cool thing. It shows that there is value to that idea/expression whatever it is, and is valuable to spread good ideas. But having new ideas and new things is essentially the same as physical reality expressing a new thing. It's like, it's a greater thing to actually express something that hasn't existed before, rather than replicating / spreading an existing idea - so i agree with him there.

Also finally the bullshit he said about daws/sequencing producing dead/stilted work, and that his comp style is more like a web of interactions than a top down thing - it's a cool idea i like it. I have for the longest time always thought of art as meaning "artificial" as in created with intention. And so the perfect piece of music has intention for every second of the song, and this sort of goes a little against what he said about happy accidents and web of interactions leading to new things. I mean where does intention stop and if intention stops, what does that mean? fuck all i'd say. I always strived to control as much as possible but the times i didn't control were also the times greta things could happen. Although I did control some great shit too I mean that's nature. 

• Like 3
  • Burger 2

On 6/21/2022 at 1:34 PM, coax said:

I always strived to control as much as possible but the times i didn't control were also the times greta things could happen.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Burger 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, coax said:

btw Rob was totally right about what he said about nature being technological. We think the internet and cameras and hard drives and diskettes are so artificial and all of this but but thing is there is no difference RLY between the robot dog in black mirror and the dog running loose down the street. Nature and the universe is extremely technical, mechanical, process / function driven across the board. Organisms have cameras, microphones, hard drives, AI and all of this nonsense, and cells have them too. When a dog perceives somethging it goes through the retina, up thru a fucking cable into the brain and is then processed like a fucking AI bullshit computer (not that it's like AI but at least computer). Also the virtual world is totally a part of the physical world, it's just another layer. Our brains are virtual and organisms are even virtual to an extent, so all of this internet and virtual shit is just yet another expression of the machine that is the physical world.

by extension: yes, we have this prerogative of the natural / artificial distinction, as if we were not included in the universe, as it manifests itself, but a contingent and external fact. Mostly we do not realize that what we define "artificial" is not the opposite of "natural", but only a specificity of nature, the activity of sentient mammals (no matter whether for good or for bad, which they are, once again , our specific categories)

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Draft78 said:

by extension: yes, we have this prerogative of the natural / artificial distinction, as if we were not included in the universe, as it manifests itself, but a contingent and external fact. Mostly we do not realize that what we define "artificial" is not the opposite of "natural", but only a specificity of nature, the activity of sentient mammals (no matter whether for good or for bad, which they are, once again , our specific categories)

well, man made versus occurring without the interference of man, something that can exist without our partaking, it has a special feel attached to it. There's lots of similarities though, the base level functioning of machinery mimics the functioning of organic systems, maybe because we consciously or unconsciously build them in our own image, wires/roads resemble veins or rivers, a motor is like a heart etc. but still, who the fuck would want some man made robot dog over the real thing? even in Philip K. Dick's novel the real thing is much sought after rather than ersatz pets. 

• Like 1

when he talks about how he prefers to sit quietly studying the minutiae of his surroundings rather than distract himself from it by partaking in all kinds of pre organized activities. I really liked that bit cause it reminded me it's been forever since I've done exactly that. So while Rob's off caning the trails on his MTB, Sean sits a happy little buddha, alright with the world and chilling with the bugs.

Edited by ooqpoo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Parhelic Triangle:

percussion sampled from rubbers bands in a shoebox into an EMU, with crappy timing due to shit playing of gamelan gongs.

5 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Same quality of question.

F7583F78-8901-4405-97AB-5CCF1F71F875.jpeg

To be fair, he did answer my Q, and he thinks round rooms are shit acoustically.

• Like 1