IGNORED

Aphex Twin article in the main Finnish Newspaper

dcom

7 hours ago, dcom said:

Saw no mention of said cat... and most of those things around James' mythos are exactly that - myths.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Saw no mention of said cat... and most of those things around James' mythos are exactly that - myths.

Of course they are. And "intellectual dance music"? I was going to comment publicly on a lot of things in the article, but... no.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

iirc he said when he composed 'i' at age 13, he was shy about how emotive it was so he told all his friends that his cat jumped on the desk and made the track by mistake.

the orange juice thing (related) was real, happened to the masters of tracks 3 and 4 on SOSW so the released ones were created again.

21 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

?

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 5.37.31 PM.png

Odd, I even searched for the word 'cat' on the page...

The cat's name was Joyrex by the way (who was a Cornish Rex)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Aphex Twin's butt image ended up on album covers and music videos directed by Chris Cunningham"

On 7/22/2022 at 2:52 AM, diatoms said:

"Aphex Twin's butt image ended up on album covers and music videos directed by Chris Cunningham"

Gives some disturbing context about the source material for the RDJ Album:
71VRac++ZTL._SL1272_.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2022 at 9:57 PM, Joyrex said:

afaik, iirc ... there's an MTV interview on YT in which RDJ states he always found talking about electronic music was pointless and it made it pointless to listen to. my opinion of this is that it's the origin of his approach to interviews. he's probably contractually obliged or expected to do them, doesn't mean he isn't going to make up nonsense to cause people trouble when they try to gather or use knowledge about him, or simply make it so fruitless people give up on requiring it or listening to it.

also ... didn't RDJ record onto DAT at double speed to make it more cost effective? this accounts for the loss in quality. one of the Ae guys noticed this and asked him about it. should effectively be quite easy to hear when you remember what recording to consumer tape formats can do ... same with cassettes and VHS also. i wouldn't be surprised though, if there's a better master and RDJ made a copy onto another at double speed to submit to R&S. holding a little bit back for more than one reason, i suspect.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:41 PM, rek said:

Here's one source that corroborates indeed the tape was mauled by a cat: (9m 45s)

going into even more detail with Xtal being "warped at six different points" but still paraphrasing, i'd still prefer to see an RDJ source on this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...