IGNORED

Did Life Turn Out Like You Thought?

PigeonSt

Popping in, was around in the joyrex days etc etc no one cares.

But the forum's been around for a long time...did life turn out like you thought?

For me yeah pretty boring, wife two kids suburban life decent job. Still like the same music I did 20 years ago, plus a few things here or there. Back to making music in the last couple years. Still game. Have kept a lot of the same friends from growing up plus new neighbors. Life's been good so far.

• Like 4

i feel like if i could time travel back to teenage me, touch his head and transmit a condensed image of the past few years, he would just crumple and give up. life is much more difficult than ever imagined, but that makes you appreciate the good moments more. 

music is one of the greatest distractions from such moments of realisation. a bit of a miracle, in a way.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

i feel like if i could time travel back to teenage me, touch his head and transmit a condensed image of the past few years, he would just crumple and give up. life is much more difficult than ever imagined, but that makes you appreciate the good moments more. 

music is one of the greatest distractions from such moments of realisation. a bit of a miracle, in a way.

Yeah that's true. I think I couldn't comprehend the challenges and responsibilities. But you find a way to figure it out or you don't and that's alright too.

7 minutes ago, perunamuusi said:

Sleepwalking ever closer to a fascist dystopia as I predicted 30yrs ago so yeah, pretty much how I expected it to go. Bit slower than I predicted but probably much worse also.

Credit for calling it

Pretty good but it took a while to get there! Many dreams died along the way but so did many insecurities, fair trade I guess. Some situations were very difficult, some choices were stupid. Happy about my life and relationships today. World situation has turned out a lot worse than I expected. Trying to be level-headed about expectations, priorities and life in general. One day it's all gone so I don't bother thinking too much about it. My main hope is to remain reasonably healthy, everything else is just a bonus. It was a bumpy ride with hard lessons to get here, so having some nuclear zombie bullshit happen now would be a kick in the nuts. 

Edited by chim
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, chim said:

Pretty good but it took a while to get there! Many dreams died along the way but so did many insecurities, fair trade I guess. Some situations were very difficult, some choices were stupid. Happy about my life and relationships today. World situation has turned out a lot worse than I expected. Trying to be level-headed about expectations, priorities and life in general. One day it's all gone so I don't bother thinking too much about it. My main hope is to remain reasonably healthy, everything else is just a bonus. It was a bumpy ride with hard lessons to get here, so having some nuclear zombie bullshit happen now would be a kick in the nuts. 

Good outlook ?

• Like 1

The world shattered to me once I realized at 25 (now at 28) how the world really functions (capitalism). That's why I stopped having some dreams which now I find kind on unethical and started a more pantheistic life while trying to be as far as I can of the things I believe poison the world and focus on what I believe could benefit t (creating art, teaching people stuff, etc). So for me life stopped being something to plan, but to live each day.

• Like 1

As a teenager I thought that 99% of humanity would be destroyed in a global nuclear war or we would be living in a Robocop/Neuromancer/Bladerunner type of cyberpunk hellscape by 2020 so I guess things are pretty ok in comparison.

Otherwise life has had it's ups and downs. I don't know. I didn't really have any master plan personally. I've at least tried most of things I wanted to try. Except for going to space, I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zkom said:

Otherwise life has had it's ups and downs. I don't know. I didn't really have any master plan personally. I've at least tried most of things I wanted to try. Except for going to space, I guess.

What's so great about going to space, anyway? As a kid I wanted to be on the Enterprise but what it is for our lifetimes is just being shot really high in a tin can ?. But I know the sentiment

I found myself looking up geothermal heating costs the other day (big factor in a potential house move) and realized no, I didn't expect this kind of stuff would one day be a bigger concern than my Soundcloud followers.

Edited by chim

15 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

how old are you guys ?

14 minutes ago, chim said:

I found myself looking up geothermal heating costs the other day (big factor in a potential house move) and realized no, I didn't expect this kind of stuff would one day be a bigger concern than my Soundcloud followers.

Geothermal heating is awesome though

• Like 1