IGNORED

11 is 42 minutes of analysis

Draft78

i’ve had a similar reaction to plunderphonics type music like vhs head, jackson and his computer band and starskey. that music gives me a physical sensation of nausea. nothing to do with the quality of the music, but i can’t listen to it

listened to the whole thing. the guy unwittingly described the gantz graf video, honed in on the out of phase mod techniques, karplus tones and how ae likes to play hide the salami with their melodies. seemed like a good all first try at analyzing a track. there is part of me that wishes he’d been given a differently track but it would be hard to say which

Edited by exitonly
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:41 AM, exitonly said:

listened to the whole thing. the guy unwittingly described the gantz graf video, honed in on the out of phase mod techniques, karplus tones and how ae likes to play hide the salami with their melodies. seemed like a good all first try at analyzing a track. there is part of me that wishes he’d been given a differently track but it would be hard to say which

Parhelic Triangle or GG would be my "deep end" choices. Imo some of the most initially opaque ae, but most rewarding and compositionally interesting too.

Or Elyc6 0nset just for laughs.

Interesting first AE track to listen to. And enjoyable to see him struggle to explain. In the meantime I could only think "you need to listen to it three times before you can try to understand". That one time was just a bit too much for him to wrap his head around. Although he did have some interesting observations.

• Like 2

Interesting video listening to someone react to Autechre, I’ve tried it on my mates and so far not one of them dig it but like someone mentioned you need to listen to it a few good times.  What track would you suggest to anyone new to Autechre? 

12 minutes ago, cobra said:

Interesting video listening to someone react to Autechre, I’ve tried it on my mates and so far not one of them dig it but like someone mentioned you need to listen to it a few good times.  What track would you suggest to anyone new to Autechre? 

in an interview, Sean, said that if he were to play someone, for the first time, a track, he would probably choose from confield, because in its being "weird" it is very direct. It seems like a good point: even if you need more listening to get into it, the rhythmic fuckery is prominent, not to say cheeky, and since first listen you are immediately catapulted into another dimension. To give an opposite example: the current set seems very complex to me, perhaps one of the most ambitious things they have ever composed, but some friends - not too involved in the matter - have found it more immediate: I think it depends on the fact that the driving lines are more regular, while the luscious fuckery moves to a deeper level.

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, cobra said:

The brown-note drop in AE_LIVE_Nagano for a mate last night while giving him a lift

11 hours ago, Draft78 said:

in an interview, Sean, said that if he were to play someone, for the first time, a track, he would probably choose from confield, because in its being "weird" it is very direct.

iirc he said it'd highly depend on the kinda person (as in musical background) he'd introduce the music to and your example was his "metalhead" solution.

_if_ we're talking about the same ama.

38 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

iirc he said it'd highly depend on the kinda person (as in musical background) he'd introduce the music to and your example was his "metalhead" solution.

_if_ we're talking about the same ama.

I'm referring to a recent interview, the question was "if you were to give an ae release to a young dude, what would you choose?". Sean said something like "confield: there would be the "what the hell is going on here factor". For Roberto It was fine, as long as he didn't have to talk too much 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

I'm referring to a recent interview, the question was "if you were to give an ae release to a young dude, what would you choose?". Sean said something like "confield: there would be the "what the hell is going on here factor". For Roberto It was fine, as long as he didn't have to talk too much 

i see, interesting!

on topic: amazing track, deffo top 5/ exai.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:41 AM, exitonly said:

There's probably a lot of stuff going on in "1 1 is" to modulate and phase the components in and out but one method you can clearly see if you just look at the spectrogram. There is a band-stop filter or EQ or something similar that cuts off frequencies and it's being modulated with an LFO. Also there's a 180 degree phase difference in the LFO between the left and the right channel.

2lce312vtg721.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Farnsworth 2
  • Big Brain 1

4 hours ago, zkom said:

There's probably a lot of stuff going on in "1 1 is" to modulate and phase the components in and out but one method you can clearly see if you just look at the spectrogram. There is a band-stop filter or EQ or something similar that cuts off frequencies and it's being modulated with an LFO. Also there's a 180 degree phase difference in the LFO between the left and the right channel.

2lce312vtg721.jpg

parts of it sound to me like a spectral morph/convolution crossfade between some elements. maybe that is driven by an lfo. cool stuff with the spectrograms!

• Like 1

I think the man's review (or analysis as it's called) is quite on point for a first listen (if he's not faking about it being his first listen before commenting)

I mean he spots out some typical ae synesthesia . wich shows that ae is def a singular experience.

or I could say "he's been autechreised" :lol:

,also he feels seasick with dynamics (unterstand : movements) where I  feels appeased with it... typical reaction for a first listen  this needs accoutumance to enjoy maybe

(...all what I said pretty obvisous to us ae addicts I guess)

theres a lot of ae tracks that feel uniquely unique in a way other tracks arent and this is one of them.  its the lushness, suspense, modulation of attack on the weird bells, every detail makes it feel like youre not just listening to a track but listening in on a material environment that's actively manifesting itself into reality

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...