IGNORED

Bibio - BIB10

lyst

https://bleep.com/release/326497-bibio-bib10

"Bibio is an artist who never likes to stay in one sound for too long. His humble beginnings producing lo-fi folk-tronica transformed dramatically into the hip hop inspired kaleidoscopes of his Warp debut Ambivalence Avenue, launching a series of constant shifts from intricate house beats to dazzling funk through to haunting ambient soundscapes, often all within the space of one album. While the quintessential Bibio sound may be hard to define, the guitar has stuck with him throughout all of his sonic experiments, and it’s what he pays homage to on his milestone tenth album.

“I like contrast between my albums,” says Stephen Wilkinson aka Bibio “When I finish an album, I crave doing something different for the next one.” BIB10 is perhaps the most outwardly pop Bibio has ever leaned into, delving deeper into the funk and disco direction previously hinted at with releases like 2016’s The Serious EP while his natural pastoral folk inflections still shine through. Though the slick riffs of tracks like ‘Off Goes The Light’ are dressed in fuzzy CRT television colours, they never fall into the trap of sounding nostalgic, featuring refreshing songwriting that can only be placed in modern day.

A metropolitan energy flows through many tracks, such as ‘S.O.L.’ with Olivier St. Louis’s silky, infectious vocals, or the sweet rotations of saxophone and guitar on ‘Cinnamon Cinematic’, trading jubilantly extended solos with each other. Elsewhere, Bibio’s hearty folk origins appear on the intimately drifting ‘A Sanctimonious Song’ and the acoustic ode to analogue on ‘Phonograph’. Both of these worlds are glued together in ‘Rain And Shane’, where lilting violin lends simultaneously wistful and soaring melodic refrains to twirling electric guitars."

Edited by lyst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Right on! Always up for more Bibio. I'm more into the folksy accoustic driven stuff than his pop sounds, personally, but I'm sure I'll pick this one up. Still waiting on that Vignetting the Compost repress to see the light of day ?

Same.  I'm not really in love with his Pop / Rock stuff.  If I can get 2 or 3 folky acoustic type tracks on this album then i'm a happy man.  So i'll hold judgement on this one.

Are you sure that Vignetting the Compost didn't see a 2021 Vinyl Repress?  Discogs.com and Online Stores are saying it's out there.  Man I love that album too.

For instance FYE says they have it and it's in stock.... Odd.

https://www.fye.com/bibio---vignetting-the-compost-aec.wrp330.1.html

Edited by lyst

6 hours ago, lyst said:

Are you sure that Vignetting the Compost didn't see a 2021 Vinyl Repress?  Discogs.com and Online Stores are saying it's out there.  Man I love that album too.

Vignetting the Compost and Ovals and Emeralds both received their vinyl pressings last year in October. There was an issue with the roll out date being premature so some copies made it out into the wild. Warp, Bleep, and Rough Trade pulled their copies after being updated by the label. I have posted photos of my received copies in another thread here. 

Edited by saul_japancakes
formatting

10 hours ago, lyst said:

Same.  I'm not really in love with his Pop / Rock stuff.  If I can get 2 or 3 folky acoustic type tracks on this album then i'm a happy man.  So i'll hold judgement on this one.

Well that’s interesting! Hope this is official. I’ll give ‘er a shot…

edit: yea they cancelled my order 15 min. After I placed it. 

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, saul_japancakes said:

Vignetting the Compost and Ovals and Emeralds both received their vinyl pressings last year in October. There was an issue with the roll out date being premature so some copies made it out into the wild. Warp, Bleep, and Rough Trade pulled their copies after being updated by the label. I have posted photos of my received copies in another thread here. 

Well that explains that! Wonder why it’s taken so long after that to officially release them

I'll dissent from popular opinion here; that teaser track is the best thing he's done in ages (and I love all his releases). 

As his 10th album which is a milestone, and his promises that it will have danceable moments etc, I'm properly hyped.

• 3 weeks later...

I really love this new track; have been listening to it multiple times per day. The vocal manupulation and interwoven harmonies around 1:50 are so smooth *chefs kiss 

I get how someone would pass on it, or be turned off by the forwardly pop aspects. But bibio's stuff just works for me. Maybe ive just listened to his music so much, that even the pop / borderline cheese stuff feels very natural and a permutation of musical threads he's always been exploring. Either way I can't get enough. Most anticipated album right now

Edited by markedone

I'm not on the pop bibio train (though loved ambivalence avenue all those years ago) BUT this thread got me to check out his recent releases and I immediately fell in love with Sleep on the Wing. brought me right back to 2006 when I first encountered fi. magical. so thanks! 

edit: well, about half of SOTW anyway

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 2