IGNORED

so who have you seen?

dr lopez

member measuring contest. who have you seen live? anyone you're still desperate to catch before they retire/pass on? I'm sure collectively it's an impressive list. I'll start:

Aphex x3

Autechre x3

Kraftwerk x3

Squarepusher x2

Aleksi Perala x2

Vibert 

Meat Beat Manifesto

Atom TM

Andy Stott

Venetian Snares

JLin

Actress (lame DJ set)

Bjork (lame DJ set)

Plaid

A Guy Called Gerald

Amon Tobin

Juan Atkins / Model 500 x2

Fred P x2

Ron Trent

Hieroglyphic Being

Moodymann (did vodka shots with him)

DJ Stingray (did vodka shots with him)

Oneohtrix Point Never

DJ Rashad (at possibly his last show ever RIP)

Pierre Bastien

Seefeel

Soichi Terada

Mouse on Mars

Surgeon

NHK Koyxen

DJ Diamond

Jan Jelinek (worst show i've ever seen, so sad)

LCD Soundsystem

The Books

The Knife

Karin Dreijer

And I just saw Tenacious D a few weeks ago LMAO. There's other "rock" oriented acts i've seen that I'm leaving out, tried to just keep it to watmm-adjacent stuff. Still desperate to see Underworld and The Orb live but they might be past their prime these days. 

Anyone else? 

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 2

Aphex x1

Autechre x2

Massive Attack x1

Clark x3

Stars of the Lid x2

Radiohead x1

Squarepusher x1

Mogwai x1

Com Truise x2

Machinedrum x1

Plaid x1

Had tickets to see Kraftwerk, Stereolab, and Squarepusher but all were cancelled during the pandemic, womp womp. Would really love to see MBV if they ever tour again

Edited by YELLOW
Edit
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seen autechre three times, the best of which hands down was Grafenhainichen in '15 where they played at a beach party area where Modeselektor also played. Seen Radiohead a few times over the years, first time was late nineties on their Big tent top tour together with Sigur Ros which was so good. None of us knew Sigur Ros and arriving to that sweeping sound, four young bucks lathered up on cheap vodka, was fucking amazing, you could hear that angel sound reverberating miles off. 

Arcade Fire twice. Good times. Red Hot Chili Peppers also late 90s were a blast, extra bonus getting to see Iggy Pop warm up for the Chilis. 

Got to see Godspeed you black emperor in 2001, very special night. Most others had really dressed up for the occasion in archaic black attire and I felt kinda underdressed in comparison, nursing a pint in my battered Reeboks. 

The Beta Band around the same time, one of the most fun stage shows I've seen at a show for sure! 

Portishead, not till '08 or so, but was amazing to finally see them. This was the first concert I'd been to where the general consensus seemed to be that smoking doobies and Cigs at shows was now uncool, times were changing and we had become the old fools. 

One guy I would give my left nut to see though is Tom Waits. In Tom Waits land, smoking will always be cool. 

• Like 2

Electronic(ish):AFXx2, AEx2, Squapreusher, Air, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Bjørn Svin, Massive Attack, Björk, Robyn, AsianDubFoundation, Mouse on Marsx2, Kim Hiorthøy, Kraftwerk, Satanstornade, Kaada, John Maus, Antipop consortium, Bjørn Torske, Jaga Jazzist, Spiritualized, Pantha Du Prince.  

Rock(+more): Trail of Dead, Band of Horsesx2, Dinosaur Jrx2, My Bloody Valentine, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Beach House, Belle and Sebastian, Swans, Black Rebel Motorsycle Club, Primal Screamx3, Bob Hundx3, Built to spill, Calexicox2, Cat Power, War on Drugs, Nick Cave, Manu Chau, Iggyx2 (one with The Stooges), Springsteenx2, The Roots, Dandy Warholes, Lemonheads/Dando x2, Sun Kil Moon, Danko Jones, Daughters, Feist, Jose Gonzalezx2, The Hivesx2, Iceage, Interpol, Jayhawksx2, Kent, LOW, Jason Molina, John Moreland, The Nationalx4, Future Islands, Patti Smith, St Vincentx3, Warpaint, Courtney Barnett, Broken Social Scenex2, Rammstein, Erykah Badu, MUM, New Order, Notwist, Pet Shop Boys, Travis, The White Stripes, Frank Ocean, The Black Keys, Afghan Wigs, Cloud Nothings, Mogwai, Sigur Rosx3, Okkervil River, Sonic Youth, Fleet Foxesx2, Cut Copy, Yeasayer, TSOOLx2, Mark Lanegan, Conor Oberst, Perfome Genious, Bon Iver, Grant Lee Phillips, Posiesx2, Public Enemy, Jery De Damaja, Josh Rouse, Royksopp, Teenage Fanclub, Tinariwen, TV on the radio, Velvet Revolver, Violent Femmes, Wilco, Wovenhandx2.  

...and a lot of local/lesser known artists.

Still annoyed that I missed Suede in 97, Mercury Rev in 99, and Plaid in 2000(?), all playing in the town I live in. 

Artists/bands I'd really like to see live: BOC, Plaid(!) and REM. I Guess Plaid is the only realistic happening. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 7:09 PM, dr lopez said:

member measuring contest. who have you seen live? anyone you're still desperate to catch before they retire/pass on? I'm sure collectively it's an impressive list. I'll start:

Aphex x3

Autechre x3

Kraftwerk x3

Squarepusher x2

Aleksi Perala x2

Vibert 

Meat Beat Manifesto

Atom TM

Andy Stott

Venetian Snares

JLin

Actress (lame DJ set)

Bjork (lame DJ set)

Plaid

A Guy Called Gerald

Amon Tobin

Juan Atkins / Model 500 x2

Fred P x2

Ron Trent

Hieroglyphic Being

Moodymann (did vodka shots with him)

DJ Stingray (did vodka shots with him)

Oneohtrix Point Never

DJ Rashad (at possibly his last show ever RIP)

Pierre Bastien

Seefeel

Soichi Terada

Mouse on Mars

Surgeon

NHK Koyxen

DJ Diamond

Jan Jelinek (worst show i've ever seen, so sad)

LCD Soundsystem

The Books

The Knife

Karin Dreijer

And I just saw Tenacious D a few weeks ago LMAO. There's other "rock" oriented acts i've seen that I'm leaving out, tried to just keep it to watmm-adjacent stuff. Still desperate to see Underworld and The Orb live but they might be past their prime these days. 

Anyone else? 

1 week ban for no ceephax or  bogdan

• Haha 1

Aphex x4

Autechre x4

Kraftwerk x1 (very boring setlist and I do love them...)

Squarepusher x2

Aleksi Perala x1

CLARK 2x

EOD 1x

Vibert 

Venetian Snares

Plaid 2x

DJ Stingray 1x (2 weeks ago)

Seefeel

DJ Nobu 3x -> this number will grow a lot more 

NIN 2x 

sunn o))) 

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Deadbeat

SWANS (had tickets but show was canceled due to covid)

Russel Haswell 

Radiohead

on my must go one day list: 

Andy Stott 

Karsten Pflum

SWANS

the best events recently where some small technofestivals where the lineup was filled with unknown names I only liked from bandcamp and some small raves we did with friends. I still like to go to the names listed above but if you dont really know what you are getting into and its great in the end its much more fun and you go home with a lot of new names you can lookup on bandcamp. there are also some local raves in the forest and I do enjoy these alot 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 2

Man I just can't list everything, but I've seen something like more than 1800 live shows in the past 20 years.

85% of it is because I work in live venues as a job so it doesn't count :happy:. ...still, I went to loads of concerts and raves, asides from my job.

Never saw Underworld, Kraftwerk or Aphex, main missing ones.

Edited by neurone
  • Like 2

I don't really go to shows much if I'm not playing them, but not counting them I've seen

Spinal Tap ('93 tour, first show I ever went to)

Link Wray

Scratch Acid

Roky Erickson

Sun City Girls

Richard Bishop solo

Alan Bishop solo

Neil Young

Bert Jansch

Crispin Glover

Dick Dale

Philip Glass (he wasn't playing, but I got some great 7th or 8th row center tickets to a production of Akhenaten for free in college and he was sitting a few rows behind me)

Terry Riley

Nik Turner

Omar Souleyman

Sonic Youth (kind of boring)

Wolf Eyes (very boring)

Ghost (the Japanese one, amazing)

Acid Mothers Tempel

Ricky Powell (DJ set, completely by accident, didn't even know he'd be there - he played deep jazz cuts and kept everything up while he was cuing, it was ridiculous in a good way)

Bevis Frond

A few dozen smaller bands over the years.

Most of that stuff was in the 2000s when I was living in a slightly bigger city. There isn't much going on in terms of electronic music in my part of the world, especially back then, so that has been mostly local acts and shows I've played.  I guess Legowelt played a few blocks from my apartment back in 2013 or 14 but I didn't hear about it until a couple months later because it was at a venue that doesn't usually have stuff I'm interested in.

Live music got kind of depressing over the last few years, and I'm not the only person I know who felt that way.  It feels more like people are going for a social media photo op than to actually see the artists now.  At the last show I went to before Covid the owner of the venue literally had to come out on stage after every act and tellpeople to applaud because everyone was paying more attention to their devices.  That sounds ridiculous and I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there, but it happened.  The really sad thing was it was a weekend long festival with a bunch of interesting leftfield electronic and drone artists who don't play out often, and some of them had come from overseas for it.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

I’ll do my best to remember. Gonna try to list them chronologically from when I was a kid. Gonna have to keep coming back to edit this one….

Kris Kross at the 92? Black Expo Chicago (I think there were a couple other big acts on the bill but I can only remember KK). 

Areosmith w/ Megadeth opening 

Primus w/ the Melvins opening (I saw the Melvins a couple other times later, can’t remember with who tho)

Pink Floyd

Danzig w/ Type O Negative & GODFLESH

Pantera w/ Sepultura

Pantera w/ Biohazard 

Pantera w/ Type O Negative

Type O again w/ somebody, maybe White Zombie?

Primus w/ someone else 

corrosion of conformity 

Metallica w/ Danzig & Suicidal Tendencies 

David Bowie w/ NIN & Prick

Frank Black w/ Johnny Polonski

KMFDM w/ Korn opening!

Pigface with some freak sideshow opening 

Meat Beat Manifesto (opening for someone, can’t remember)

Aphex Twin w/ Sneaker Pimps

Dr Alex Patterson w/ Freaky Chakra & Single Cell Orchestra 

At Raves in the late 90s - early 00s:  Technical Itch, Green Velvet, Daft Punk, Paul Johnson, Marvelous Cain, Mystical Influence, Phantom 45, Jeff Mills, Danny The Wildchild, DJ Funk, Rob Gee, Lenny Dee, DJ Skull, DJ 3D, Plastikman, DJ Scud, Ken Ishii … the list goes on and on…  if you name em I probably saw em 5 or 6 times each, especially if they were from Chicago …

Fugazi w/ The Ex

Bogdan

Venetian Snares 

Janes Addiction w/ Smashing Pumpkins opening 

Chris Connelly solo

Red Hot Chili Peppers w/ Stone Temple Pilots and fishbone opening (I got free tickets for this, wouldn’t have gone otherwise)

Slick Rick 

Willie Nelson w/ Winton Marsalis

Mr Bungle (hung out with the band backstage afterwards)

The Sunshine Fix

Lou Reed 2x (once at a free outdoor show on Canal street in NYC with Laurie Anderson and a Native American drum circle… best version of Heroin ever)

My Morning Jacket 3 or 4 times. First time was when I was working at Bonnaroo 2003 or 2004 with Bob Dylan, Primus, and a bunch other people 

High on Fire 4x

of Montreal 13 or 14 times. Not kidding. I was obsessed with them for years, before they started doing angsty electro-pop. Too many openers to remember but I did see them with MGMT (who I’ve since seen a couple other times) opening in a tiny club before they had their big moment and nobody knew who they were. 

Os Mutantes

Throbbing Gristle w/

butthole surfers

The pixies 2x

My Bloody Valentine 3 or 4x

Dungen 7 or 8 times, at least 

The Thermals 

Morrissey 2 or 3x (once with Billy Idol)

Arlo Guthrie outdoors at battery park nyc

Donovan (got don’s autograph backstage after)

some warp records show with a bunch of acts at the old NorthSix in Brooklyn. Can’t remember who was there  

Faith No More

Sonic Youth opening for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs :wtf:

Neil Young 2x

Lightning Bolt 4 or 5 times 

acid mothers temple 

The Pogues (w/ Shane)

Femi Kuti

antibalas

the bug

Brazilian girls 

bruce Springsteen 

die antwoord

cattle decapitation (my band actually opened up for them in Birmingham AL on our tour)

robert plant (backstage too!)

devo

Iggy & stooges

NIN w/ Jesus and Mary Chain opening 

danzig w/ COC

wolves in the throne room 2x

black sabbath 

kraftwerk

depeche mode 2x

breeders with neutral milk hotel & Daniel johnston

Aphex Twin at Avant Gardener NYC w/ soundmurderer (I saw SM once before in NYC a long time ago too)

Squarepusher 

Ceephax … hung out with Andy for a while too. We hit it off actually. What a rad dude.

Lee Scratch Perry 2x

Weird Al

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum 

death grips 3x

Refused

off

Ty Segall 

beach house 

power trip

the makeup 

escapism

mesthetics

guns n roses 

original misfits reunion 

ringo

michael McDonald / Kenny logins / Christopher cross (yes, I’ve seen Kris Kross and Christopher Cross ?)

brian ferry 

rivers cuomo

jeff goldblum 

sparks

Paul Simon 

Belle & Sebastian

paul McCartney 

….

I’m leaving out the dozens-to-hundreds of local shows

….

I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch… I’ll be back to editeditedit….

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, scumtron said:

Oh. Forgot EOD, Sunn O))) and three fucking Russell Haswell gigs. All of them warming up to AE and AFX and all terrible.

lol 

Sunn warming up to AE? really? lol 

Nono. Russell Haswell. Sunn was at a festival.

One of the Haswell concerts I was buying a beer at the moment he started. The girl at the bar (employed because of her looks, not the interest for the concerts at the venue), stopped pouring and looked at the stage in pure terror. After ten seconds of "well, this is not going to stop" she shook her head, got her earplugs, and continued to work.

• Haha 4
  • Burger 1

Heilung

Jane's Addiction (3x)

MBM (7x)

NIN (5x)

GWAR (2x)

Ministry (2x)

Revolting Cocks (2x)

Schnitt Acht

Genitorturers

Mentors

Skatenigs

Orbital

Consolidated

Ultramarine

Spacetime Continuum

Living Colour

Nitzer Ebb

Public Enemy

Sisters of Mercy

Young Black Teenagers

Freaky Chakra

Rabbit in the Moon

Dynamix II

Jackal & Hyde

The Crystal Method

Lollapalooza I (1991)

Lollapalooza II (1992)

Concrete Blonde

Sting

Flight of the Conchords

Arrested Development

The Dead Milkmen

Pigface (3x)

FM Einheit

Genesis P-Orridge

Scorn

Not Breathing

G'n'R

Motley Crue

Sepultura

Josh Wink

Q-Burns Abstract Message

Cassette Boy

Squarepusher

DJ 3rd Jenkinson brother (sorry, forgot name)

The Prodigy

Perfume Tree

Loop Guru

Broadcast

N*E*R*D

Gorillaz

Duran Duran (2x)

Common

Gnarls Barkley

Daft Punk

Luke Vibert

μ-Ziq

7 Seconds

Primus

Faith No More

Billy Idol

Dread Zeppelin

The Cult

The Reverend Horton Heat (2x)

Skinny Puppy (2x)

Front Line Assembly

My Bloody Valentine (3x)

Dinosaur Jr.

The Flaming Lips (2x)

Pretty Lights

Willie Nelson

Jeff Bridges

Morris Day and The Time

Prince

The Chicks

Die Warzau

VHS or Beta

Left Foot Down

Justice

Three & Oona Dahl

Ice Cube

Aesop Rock

Tame Impala

Flying Lotus

Com Truise

Glitch Mob

Pixies

The Cure

Cranes

Melvins

L7

808 State

The Psychogeographic Commission

Folklore Tapes

English Heretic

Pye Corner Audio

Otto Von Schirach

Datarock

The Horrors

Dalek

The Orb (3x)

The Chemical Brothers

Girl Talk

Ice-T & Body Count

Jim Rose Circus

Jello Biafra

Killing Joke

Peter Murphy

Love & Rockets

The Replacements

The Jesus & Mary Chain

The Ramones

Prick

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult

Lords of Acid

Erykah Badu

Black Moth Super Rainbow

Cinderella

Bon Jovi!

• Like 3

Plaid x3
Prefuse 73 x3
Machinedrum x2
Kode9 x2
Mouse On Mars
Autechre
Squarepusher
Clark
Mira Calix (RIP)
Apparat
Xela
Royksopp
RJD2
Diplo
Esthero
Bonobo
patten
Darkstar

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, usagi said:

lol wtf

Haha! Seriously. It was at McCarren pool in Brooklyn and if I remember correctly they played 2 nights and the other night the YYYs opened for SY. I just happened to see the other night. It was definitely weird and made me feel uncomfortable to see SY kill it (Rather Ripped was new at the time but they played a bunch of old stuff too, I think Lee also did some stuff with an electric drill on the strings) and then YYYs come on stage after. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

Some old fart previous millennium highlights.

1988: Depeche Mode/Nitzer Ebb
1989: Anthrax/Suicidal Tendencies
1990: Iron Maiden/Anthrax, The Rolling Stones
1991: Morbid Angel/Entombed
1992: Scorn, Sepultura, Nirvana, Fugazi, Faith No More, Megadeth, Nuclear Assault, Turbonegro, Metallica, Primal Scream
1993: Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Sonic Youth, Voivod, Alice in Chains, Kreator, Neil Young, Sepultura
1994: Aphex Twin, Slayer, Carcass, Dissection, Soundgarden, Today is the Day, Helmet
1995: Mr. Bungle, Meshuggah, Fugazi, Faith No More, Primus
1996: Björk, Sepultura, Rage Against the Machine
1997: Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, Refused, Merzbow, The Prodigy, Radiohead, Björk, Napalm Death, Stereolab
1998: Meshuggah, Death, Kraftwerk, Black Sabbath, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Emperor, Primus, Morbid Angel, Vader
1999: Aphex Twin, Aleksi Parälä, DMX Krew, S.O.D., Meshuggah, Neurosis, Today is the Day, Voivod
  • Like 8

On 11/2/2022 at 1:58 AM, scumtron said:

Nono. Russell Haswell. Sunn was at a festival.

One of the Haswell concerts I was buying a beer at the moment he started. The girl at the bar (employed because of her looks, not the interest for the concerts at the venue), stopped pouring and looked at the stage in pure terror. After ten seconds of "well, this is not going to stop" she shook her head, got her earplugs, and continued to work.

12:54

• Haha 2