IGNORED

so who have you seen?

dr lopez

I live in Ohio, and very little cool happens or comes through here, so prepare for some disappointment...

Billy Joel x6 (maybe 7?)

Elton John

Beck

Ben Folds Five

DJ Spooky

Mike Doughty (Soul Coughing)

No Age

Autolux

of Montreal

Andrew W.K. x2 (might be a third show, can't remember)

Prince (at Paisley Park!)

Queens of the Stone Age

Fleetwood Mac x3

Stevie Nicks x2

Don Henley

Rod Stewart

The Monkees

"Weird Al" Yankovic

Mr. Bungle

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Jude

Aimee Mann

Estradasphere

Secret Chiefs Trio

Clutch

black midi

The Smashing Pumpkins

Tricky (had a fun conversation with him before the show)

Beastie Boys

Michael Bolton (I was a kid and my parents took me. He actually really works the stage, but he's still Michael Bolton, so whatever)

To give a little background, Ohio is a very classic rock state, at least around where I live. My parents and my wife's parents raised us on a lot of that stuff, and so while I have legitimate love for Billy Joel (he's why I learned to play the piano and keyboards) and a number of other classic rock-ish bands, it's not my go-to choice of music, though it probably is for my wife. Anyway, over the years I've tried to get tickets for Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Failure, J. Mascis/Dinosaur Jr., They Might Be Giants, R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails and many more bands I love, but they often haven't played near NE Ohio (think Cleveland area), had exceedingly expensive tickets (I saw How Did This Get Made about a week ago and their venue charged about 4 or 5 times more than any other venues on this or most of their other tours), or didn't bother coming here at all. So yeah, I'd love to see AFX, Squarepusher, Vibert, BoC, Ae, µ-Ziq, Underworld, Skee Mask, Cassetteboy, The Avalanches (I'd consider selling a kidney) and so many other artists/groups/etc., but the fates of geography have conspired against me so I try to fulfill my extreme musical needs with records, live boots and decent videos. Ohio sucks.

P.S. - If I were able to travel through time and choose a show to see, I'd probably go see the Revolting Cocks at their prime. A rotating who's-who of late eighties/early nineties industrial and electronic musicians from around the world flanked by a gang of full-on strippers doing the nastiest shit on stage, usually wearing as close to nothing as possible and sometimes less. Forget Woodstock! I'm sure it'd be fine, but apart from seeing Jimi and a few other artists at their prime, I'd much rather watch something that would make a Republican's heart explode!

Edited by Dave3
added black midi to the list
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave3 said:

I live in Ohio, and very little cool happens or comes through here, so prepare for some disappointment...

Billy Joel x6 (maybe 7?)

Elton John

Beck

Ben Folds Five

DJ Spooky

Mike Doughty (Soul Coughing)

No Age

Autolux

of Montreal

Andrew W.K. x2 (might be a third show, can't remember)

Prince (at Paisley Park!)

Queens of the Stone Age

Fleetwood Mac x3

Stevie Nicks x2

Don Henley

Rod Stewart

The Monkees

"Weird Al" Yankovic

Mr. Bungle

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Jude

Aimee Mann

Estradasphere

Secret Chiefs Trio

Clutch

black midi

The Smashing Pumpkins

Tricky (had a fun conversation with him before the show)

Beastie Boys

Michael Bolton (I was a kid and my parents took me. He actually really works the stage, but he's still Michael Bolton, so whatever)

To give a little background, Ohio is a very classic rock state, at least around where I live. My parents and my wife's parents raised us on a lot of that stuff, and so while I have legitimate love for Billy Joel (he's why I learned to play the piano and keyboards) and a number of other classic rock-ish bands, it's not my go-to choice of music, though it probably is for my wife. Anyway, over the years I've tried to get tickets for Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Failure, J. Mascis/Dinosaur Jr., They Might Be Giants, R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails and many more bands I love, but they often haven't played near NE Ohio (think Cleveland area), had exceedingly expensive tickets (I saw How Did This Get Made about a week ago and their venue charged about 4 or 5 times more than any other venues on this or most of their other tours), or didn't bother coming here at all. So yeah, I'd love to see AFX, Squarepusher, Vibert, BoC, Ae, µ-Ziq, Underworld, Skee Mask, Cassetteboy, The Avalanches (I'd consider selling a kidney) and so many other artists/groups/etc., but the fates of geography have conspired against me so I try to fulfill my extreme musical needs with records, live boots and decent videos. Ohio sucks.

P.S. - If I were able to travel through time and choose a show to see, I'd probably go see the Revolting Cocks at their prime. A rotating who's-who of late eighties/early nineties industrial and electronic musicians from around the world flanked by a gang of full-on strippers doing the nastiest shit on stage, usually wearing as close to nothing as possible and sometimes less. Forget Woodstock! I'm sure it'd be fine, but apart from seeing Jimi and a few other artists at their prime, I'd much rather watch something that would make a Republican's heart explode!

Good call on RevCo, the Beers, Steers & Queers tour was just as nuts as it looked, legendary debauchery.

4BBBF66F-64EE-4E53-843B-1CDC8C7B0146.jpeg

• Like 1