IGNORED

Interesting places to record sound

logakght

Hello. I wish to record sound for my music production, tho I'm looking for more weird, interesting sounds, not just birds and such (which I love). Any places you have in mind with interesting sonics?

go to hardware store, get some metal ducking.. just like a 4ft section. put mic at one end and record or playback things through and record the output. 

under rail road tracks can be interesting if there's a rail road overpass near you anywhere. 

any construction site in a downtown area. a few years back they were pounding these columns into the ground for weeks and the sound of the huge jackhammer on the crane or whatever echoing around downtown tall buildings was intense. 

when it rains find a place w/a metal roof.  heavy rain sounds massive and violent. 

long hallways, stairwells etc.. can be interesting if there's big metal doors... the sounds of the doors closing.. any door that has a big spring on it can be pretty interesting. like this. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfzOFLNp96i/

barn doors, big metal fans can be cool if you turn them off then drag something across the protective fan cage thing. 

machine shop, wood working place

a lot of people have done the block of dry ice thing.. where you take dry ice and press metal into it while recording. makes lot's of bendy type weird sounds. it's a popular thing to do but always sounds interesting imo. 

there's several playgrounds in portland w/permanent installed marimba type instruments for kids to beat on. some of them sound really cool. 

if you get a couple cheap mallets at a percussion store (they're pretty affordable) any kind of thing that's metal outside you can play it and get a tone our of it.. 

big garbage bins behind malls, home depot, lowe's etc.. any big box store.. if the bin is unlocked you can open the door at top and let it slam. 

best thing to do is just carry your field recorder w/you all the time and you'll notice all kinds of sounds.. elevator doors etc and can make a library of your own captured sounds. 

i'm way up on my caffeine level so yeah.. ? 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

long hallways, stairwells etc.. can be interesting if there's big metal doors...

I’ve always wanted to record drums in a stairwell, especially in a building over 10 stories. 
I would also love to record drums in a parking garage. 

On 10/16/2022 at 1:58 AM, ignatius said:

best thing to do is just carry your field recorder w/you all the time and you'll notice all kinds of sounds.. elevator doors etc and can make a library of your own captured sounds. 

Excellent post, was nice to read and think about for myself, but the above is the best advice.

Think about your ears too. Spend some time in places you might pass through with headphones in, or are just a part of your journey for you, sit/walk and listen to those soudscapes. 

I have a soft spot for ventilation/heating systems. Wondering around London's financial area in the late evening, it's easier to find these little walkways or areas as the passage of bodies and vehicles from the day has decreased, and you'll pick up other sounds from the buildings, or something from a few streets over. 

if your device is compact, stick it in something and close the door. The fridge, freezer, cupboards, rooms, toy boxes.. try it with degrees of being full, with different things, any enclosed space. 

If you have access to any cheap contact mics, or get hold of some hydrophones, or something that will pick up electromagnetic, you'll have a blast combining and experimenting recording the same environments. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

if your device is compact, stick it in something and close the door. The fridge, freezer, cupboards, rooms, toy boxes.. try it with degrees of being full, with different things, any enclosed space. 

Spoiler

However, before sticking it up your ass or other cavity, please remember the flared base rule.

Anyhow, I am very sorry for making this post.

Edited by thawkins
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thawkins said:
  Reveal hidden contents

However, before sticking it up your ass or other cavity, please remember the flared base rule.

Anyhow, I am very sorry for making this post.

Butt plug contact mics...

• Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 1