IGNORED

Orbital - Optical Delusion. 17th February.

purlieu

First listen through...I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Really hearkens back to those old Green/Brown/Sniv era sounds but does it really well.  *Some* of the vocals are a bit cringeworthy (not the biggest fan of Are You Alive?), but most are done very well IMO. All in all a very solid follow-up to Monsters.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Extralife said:
1 hour ago, Extralife said:

*Some* of the vocals are a bit cringeworthy (not the biggest fan of Are You Alive?

You'll prefer the instrumental version

I think I posted this when Monsters came up but Orbital built up so much credibility with me by being a gateway group into electronica. The Brown Album and In Sides in particular. They are and will always be legends to me. 

The newer stuff is far better than it has any business being. Whether it’s corny, dad-tronica, bland, or whatever they really do stick to what they do well. I think in large part we’ve just grown out of it.

All that being said I really enjoy this record. I love the Sleaford Mods track I think in large part because the lyrics and energy resonate with me. The drum and bass track is surprisingly good! I do not care for the last two tracks at all. Better than Monsters, nowhere near their 90s output but it doesn’t have to be. Love Orbital with all my heart.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hayhook said:

Can someone explain to me (like I’m in kindergarten) what this “exclusive limited digital release” is all about? Is NFT? https://serenade.co/@orbital/optical-delusion

Yep, though instead of just getting a picture as your 'receipt' you also get a version of the album (and what seems like an interview video too?). But yeah its NFT stuff

This is probably their best since The Middle of Nowhere and certainly recalls their past glories (even if it doesn't measure up to them), whether or not you enjoy it. I could even see myself possibly relistening to a decent amount of it.

• Like 2
  • Big Brain 1

I found parts of it genuinely unlistenable, particularly Ringa Ringa. It might be my least favorite Orbital album yet, at least tied with Blue Album.

There are parts of it that thought were tolerable but those parts were just boring, to me anyway. So my emotions ranged from embarrassed to bored. I wouldn't have even given it more than 30 seconds if it wasn't by Orbital.

It still seems unreal how sharply they turned from Middle of Nowhere (dense, epic, beautifully produced big beat) to The Altogether (crazy frog) and have settled on the latter for decades.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, springymajig said:

The Middle of Nowhere (dense, epic, beautifully produced big beat)

That was a great album. I still remember the excitement of the old days where you went to the record shop on the day if release, taking it home and listening to it for the first time. Loved it instantly and always remember the first time I heard Know Where To Run! (Can't wait for the re-issue and to find out what bonus tracks will come with it!)  Good memories from that era and the best follow up to In Sides we could have hoped for!

• Like 4

Well, I'm quite enjoying the album when played like this:

Day One

Are You Alive?

The New Abnormal

Home

Dirty Rat (Instrumental)

Requiem for the Pre-Apocalypse

The Crain

Year of the Bat

Lost in Time

Nearly included the Hottest Day on Record Mix instead of the original.

All the Phil Hartnoll tracks are mastered louder than the others. The only one I've included of his is Lost in Time. To me, Paul Hartnoll is the heart of Orbital and should always be the main writer.

I hear what people are saying, but surely The New Abnormal must appeal to the coldest hearted cynic!

Just don't listen to Planet of the Shapes, then Ringa Ringa or Remind then Hoo Hoo Ha Ha and you should be ok! ?

• Like 2

Well, I'm quite enjoying the album when played like this:
Time Becomes
Planet of Shapes
Lush 3-1
Lush 3-2
Impact (The Earth is Burning)
Remind
Walk Now...
Monday
Halcyon +On +On
Input Out

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

I'm quite enjoying the album when played like this:
Time Becomes
Planet of Shapes
Lush 3-1
Lush 3-2
Impact (The Earth is Burning)
Remind
Walk Now...
Monday
Halcyon +On +On
Input Out

? Had no idea until just now that my CD of that album wasn't the normal UK release but the Australian version  - https://www.discogs.com/release/7229667-Orbital-Orbital-Peel-Sessions

I think this album is quite a lot worse than Monster Exist, so I don't really get the "return to form" reviews (but then I quite liked that album!) Orbital will often have hokey elements, some not so subtle political messaging and humour and I'm all for that, but a song like 'You Are the Frequency' is kind of weak and daft without much else to back it up. imho. And it is kind of a particularly bad example of issues running through much of the rest of the album.

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 1

"Requiem for the Pre-Apocalypse" is the only track I can listen to, it's pretty good.

Everything else?
sarah levy comedy GIF by CBC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARPA said:

"Requiem for the Pre-Apocalypse" is the only track I can listen to, it's pretty good.

Everything else?
sarah levy comedy GIF by CBC

And yet the track title is so cringeworthily super crappy I can't listen to it either.

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Haha 1