IGNORED

Burial - Streetlands

Rubin Farr

3 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Theres a lot going on in this Streetlands EP I never picked up on first few plays.

Absolutely. I'm finding that with a lot of his work.

was, and "genius" is a strong term. his main strength was in capturing a certain vibe with an apparent minimum of technical ability. people who vibed with that vibe liked him (including me), people who didn't didn't. I'm sure I've said this in practically every Burial thread in the last 10 years but anyway, I think the two albums and most of his stuff up to and including Truant/Rough Sleeper was good. beyond that, he descended into a complete mockery of himself.

this was his best moment in my book:

no post-2012 self parodies will diminish the love I have for this track and this specific snapshot-in-time sound. this track demonstrated that the beats weren't even necessarily the best part of his sound. he just had so much more of a focus for any given track, compared to the jokes he writes now.

I think this ruination all started with the Massive Attack remix, he went buckwild self-indulgent with that and it was accepted at the time because he was riding on a high and remixing such a high profile artist. that whole thing was the first incoherent mess he made, of many to follow.

I can't comment much on his later work yet. I've been listening to his early releases a lot, but I'll get through all of it eventually.

I will check out Fostercare....

^ lol, will never forget. I wonder if Will's heard it.

also +1 to the Jamie Woon remix, that's the best remix he's done imo.

• Like 1

You’re welcome

Actually been listening to Burial the last few evenings. Still not a huge fan of the fairly dull albums (even if some folk think they’re the bees knees) but grew much fonder of Truant. Nova/Moth is another killer release. For a dude who keeps fairly quiet he’s actually got lots and lots of music to discover. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, milkface said:

There isn't a thread about the 'Tunes 2011-2019' compilation so I'll post this here but I just cannot get enough of it. Each listen is better than the last.

I'm sure it was discussed in the Burial Where Art Thou thread. But yes it's a fantastic compilation 🙌

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

I'm sure it was discussed in the Burial Where Art Thou thread. But yes it's a fantastic compilation 🙌

Oh damn thanks for telling me I looked up "Burial" in the search and didn't find that thread - I'll look out for it now.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, milkface said:

There isn't a thread about the 'Tunes 2011-2019' compilation so I'll post this here but I just cannot get enough of it. Each listen is better than the last.

Absolutely! I actually bought the cd a couple of weeks ago to collect.

• Like 1