IGNORED

Mixcloud limiting basic users to 10 overall uploads

Rubin Farr

Fuck, end of an era. I have over 100 mixes over the past 20 years and time after time these platforms eventually go to shit.

First PercussionLab folded due to hosting costs, then Vimeo booted me for copyright infringement, same with Soundcloud. Youtube inserted unskippable ads even without monetization, and now this.

Does anyone know of any good alternatives that aren't a ghost town?

12 minutes ago, six said:

Does anyone know of any good alternatives that aren't a ghost town?

A self-hosted website is probably always gonna be safest. With e-mail or RSS or some hip fediverse thing to notify people of updates, maybe. As long as you want "organic" (algorithmic) discoverability you'l be dependent on some ad-ridden social platform it seems, so it's a bit of a deal with the devil.

Also I've seen netlabels host their stuff on archive.org...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, th555 said:

A self-hosted website is probably always gonna be safest. With e-mail or RSS or some hip fediverse thing to notify people of updates, maybe. As long as you want "organic" (algorithmic) discoverability you'l be dependent on some ad-ridden social platform it seems, so it's a bit of a deal with the devil.

Also I've seen netlabels host their stuff on archive.org...

Cheers, I think you're right about self hosting, it's just hard for people to randomly stumble upon your stuff like on a dedicated mix platform. Appreciate it though, that's the direction I've already been looking into.

I've already got everything on archive, it just doesn't get much traffic.

On December 1st if you are above the limit of 10 published shows all your content will remain published and available to listeners.

If you want to upload a new show or track, you’ll need to manually move existing shows into drafts until you are within the allowance or upgrade to Pro for unlimited public shows.

that's such bullshit. i guess im gonna have to download all my favorite shows before they disappear 

Edited by Ski Nell
  • Like 1