IGNORED

What makes a plaid melody sound plaid?

thehauntingsoul

I'm pretty ignorant of music theory in general, but I'm often struck by how distinct plaid's melodies sound.

I figure that a lot of it has to do with the unconventional chord progression which does all sorts of cliffhanger and sour resolution work, but I feel like just their choice of notes in general is very indicative of their style.

A couple tracks that particularly embody this sound:

• Zeal
  • Thank
  • At last
  • Unbank
  • Hawkmoth
  • Los
  • Dancers
  • Modenet

Is there a more specific way to describe their melodic tendencies in terms of music theory? 

27 minutes ago, azatoth said:

Plaid has a certain je ne sais quoi with their sound

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

Plaidness that makes it sound Plaid

1 hour ago, thehauntingsoul said:

which does all sorts of cliffhanger and sour resolution work

I agree with all of that

I've had a quick look at some of them. Zeal is pretty much chromatic.

In At Last, they are in the key of Eb minor { Eb, F, Gb, Ab, Bb, Cb, Db } for the first 3 chords, but on the 4th chord Cb becomes C (so apparently we're in the key of Bb minor).

Unbank is in E minor i.e. { E, F#, G, A, B, C, D }, so that one is more straightforward.

Meandering, labyrinthine, only partially resolved, sometimes implied. Something exotic and alien in the scales.

Then sometimes theyll do a massive obvious cheesefest like Dang Spot or Nightcrawler and it sounds just as good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 8:31 PM, Key said:

Meandering, labyrinthine, only partially resolved, sometimes implied. Something exotic and alien in the scales.

Then sometimes theyll do a massive obvious cheesefest like Dang Spot or Nightcrawler and it sounds just as good.

I'm glad you get along with the cheesefests (I mean that genuinely!) but I just can't get along with most of those tracks. I don't understand their point in the albums, although I'm sure that's my issue. And this has nothing to do with elitism or anything, it's just that the actual magic of Plaid for this brain *is* those more fantastical, unpredictable (but still beautiful) harmonies and melodies. When they go straight it's just not that interesting sounding. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even need a melody at all! (if the rest of the tune has got enough cool noises / nice beats.)

On 11/28/2022 at 3:37 AM, phudoshin said:

My least fave of the features artists - just generally a bit "plinky plonky" for me if that makes sense. If anyone has a megamix of them I'd be happy to dive in to be be converted

Roel Funcken did a pretty damn good Plaid mix, it’s 3 hours long and runs through a wide spectrum of their sounds. Hope you become a bigger fan!

https://on.soundcloud.com/NXkFDuvRbdkWFXZy6

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought there were more examples of them “borrowing” melodies from classical composers. I’m afraid I can’t name any at the moment. But it’s not the first time I was surprised how blatantly they lifted melodies from classical pieces. 

other than that, it’s also the types of sounds they’re using which make it typically plaid.

Edited by Satans Little Helper

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Walter Ostanek said:

Don't they have an omnichord? To me it always sounded like they were button-bashing chord progressions without really knowing what they were doing. You'd get the same effect from letting a five year old poke at the bass side of an accordion

Is "knowing what you're doing" in this case using chord progressions that are more commonly used, or that more people agree is the "right" progression? It's weird to me when anything outside their approach is seen as "random" by classically trained friends. I like Plaid's unpredictable chord progressions, and they hardly sound random. (I have also seen kids piss around on instruments, never sounds like Plaid. I understand you meant the omnichord specifically and were sort of using metaphor, but still very much doubt there'd be an even passing resemblance.)