IGNORED

Mangle 11 (Circuit Bent V.I.P. Mix) VS boxenergy4remix1 [2000-2001]

cern

Mangle 11 (Circuit Bent V.I.P. Mix) VS boxenergy4remix1 [2000-2001]  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite one of these tracks?

• Mangle 11 (Circuit Bent V.I.P. Mix)
    • boxenergy4remix1 [2000-2001]

These aren't new uploads? What's the deal?

In case anyone is wondering, the boxenergyremix is still the same 192kbps mp3 as first uploaded ages ago (before soundcloud existed). and not a better version/rip

edit: didn't see it was a poll!! sorry!!!! my bad. too much coffee with my own piss i guess

boxenergy mix is winrar ofcourse

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Haha 1

The two Shaffer / Henry samples in Mangle always warm my heart:

There's something about the breaks in the Box Energy remix that always felt to me much, much more impressive at 33rpm (which is the speed I played it at before encountering a cd version) at 45rpm, everything flies off too fast to land and make an effect. But at 33, man, what buttery funk.

(I know alternate speeds feel like fanfiction of sorts, but on an unmarked vinyl, that felt fair game — perhaps intentional. There a couple of tracker tracks done around the same time on druQks that are also suspiciously placed in a different order than the cd.)

This post would be a good place to plug the original DJ Pierre track, which is a monster. So is, of course, 808 State's Flow Coma : despite Richard once pretending he always remixed lesser songs, the two originals off 2 remixes are... the best acid house ever?

• Like 6
  • Big Brain 1

Sophie’s choice!

For me, boxenergy4 by a nose.
It’s really hard to pick between these two, tho. I associate both with a creative peak of Richard’s (one of many creative peaks) and both are perfect examples of his technical mastery. 
That drop after 4:09 in boxenergy4 tho. So fucking massive. Hardly anything in the world compares… until 5:17 :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 6:12 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Sophie’s choice!

For me, boxenergy4 by a nose.

Aye, and for me it's Mangle11 by a nosehair.

The massive reverb in the background creates such a striking feel of almost cathedral-like space that has stuck with me. The track really builds it in slowly, and you start to feel it around 1:20, while it really has its moment between 2:45-3:55. It slows down and puts you in a huge resonant space for a sec, then speeds back up, bringing the sounds in tighter as it gathers speed. Tracker trickery ala-drukqs in abundance, but really beautiful sound design to go with it too is what puts it over the edge.

Admittedly Boxenergy has more tricks up its sleeve and is wildly entertaining in its own right, I often listen to these 2 back to back, but that deep sense of space in the middle of Mangle has stood out to me for years.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, cern said:

Listened to this on my way home from grocery shopping the other day and it's fucking badass! It's been many years since I've listened to anything breakcore-ish that has impressed me this much.

• Like 2

The Box Energy remix has been a favorite of mine forever, though I hadn't heard Mangle 11. It's a shame Rich doesn't have more tracks where he goes absolutely nuts like these. Mt St Michaels and the Bug/Daddy Freddy remix come to mind, but there isn't much else nearly as intense. Maybe a few tracks in the soundcloud dump that approach it. Anyone think of any tracks that are similarly insanely awesome?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Nice! Though I was thinking something more overdriven. I wonder if Rich sets out to make a fast track or keeps on boosting the speed until it's insane after the fact? Kinda like the versions of MARCHROMT.

7 minutes ago, Dave3 said:

Nice! Though I was thinking something more overdriven. I wonder if Rich sets out to make a fast track or keeps on boosting the speed until it's insane after the fact? Kinda like the versions of MARCHROMT.

One big role in the earlier jungle/breakbeat mangle tracks is that he uses less quality 12-bit samples , the breaks becoming more crispy and characteristic. In the early days they did lots of jungle tracks just with the Amiga and ProTracker. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cern said:

One big role in the earlier jungle/breakbeat mangle tracks is that he uses less quality 12-bit samples , the breaks becoming more crispy and characteristic. In the early days they did lots of jungle tracks just with the Amiga and ProTracker. 

I really want to teach myself eventually how to make music on a tracker, if only to understand so I can make subpar breakcore tracks that anyone who listened to them would immediately compare to old Squarepusher, but in a negative light. I don't need to be a star, I just want to understand how they shine so bright.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prdctvsm said:

Ooh, that's the stuff! Wish I knew who HG was, that record is quite good. Same with SV, but I think we're all pulling a Schrödinger's Cat there, as in we know and don't know who it really is at the same time.

We need to make a list of batshit break tracks in this family. I love a lot of breakcore stuff, but there isn't enough of that energy that makes you want to become an out-of-control super-being. Batshit breaks forever!

To throw something similar in the mix:

and

Hrvatski's Oiseaux is a really underappreciated album of weird idm, a lot like drill'n'bass or breakcore in places, but way more entrenched in classical music and experimental noise. These two tracks don't really represent his work, but Vatstep is close enough to the stuff on Oiseaux that if you like this, you'll probably like that. The other track here was made with the same sample bank before he erased it, essentially making it it's sister track or b-side.

Edited by Dave3
added some tracks related to the subject matter
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave3 said:

I really want to teach myself eventually how to make music on a tracker, if only to understand so I can make subpar breakcore tracks that anyone who listened to them would immediately compare to old Squarepusher, but in a negative light. I don't need to be a star, I just want to understand how they shine so bright.

Yeah, it is so nice!  it is a pretty simple process also 
You can download famous breaks like Amen Brother, Funky drummer (There is many good James Brown beats) and then you speed them up and slicing the beats and you play short parts of the drums in different order.  Kick kick, snare, snare, kick, snare etc.. 
Then have a ride or shakes going,  nice pads and 808-drumbass as the bassline. 

What makes it unique with Squarepusher and Aphex is that they also put in 303-Basslines and other drum-sounds 
to make the Jungle more electro-kinda sound. 

They also processing the drums alot more than just speed them up and slicing ?

Edited by cern

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, Dave3 said:

Same with SV, but I think we're all pulling a Schrödinger's Cat there, as in we know and don't know who it really is at the same time.

Are most people around here confident in who they think it is? Lyff acid is clearly Aphex to me but the rest of the tracks feel more like Squarepusher. If they are truly all made by the same person I am confused.

Oh and boxenergy > mangle. Only just though, box is more fun and mangle has a more interesting atmosphere.

Edited by vkxwz
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, cern said:

Heorge Garrison is confirmed on a Facebook page to be Nicolas Lepage aka Guavid, RTR and other "Unknown Artist" alias 

link this confirmation

4 hours ago, vkxwz said:

Are most people around here confident in who they think it is?

I want to believe: Meet the hair guy from “Ancient Aliens”