IGNORED

Looking for a voice activated recorder!

ZeroZeroZero

I like to keep a recording box hanging off my mixing desk.  only problem is I keep missing the record button when I come back from a break or what have you and lose that un repeatable take.  Or I forget to turn off record and I have these huge files to deal with.

I emailed the makers of mine but we will see how far that gets me.   

Anyone know of something with good audio quality AND sound activated recording?

Edited by Golden Rolli
  • Like 1

I don't know a device that does what you want, but I am thinking maybe there is a thing that keeps only the last 1h or something, so that you can keep it running all the time, and only save the take if it came out good?

That said, if your box takes SD cards, then sky's the limit as you can really leave it running for the whole day to record a lot of material and later just cut out the silent parts.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, thawkins said:

That said, if your box takes SD cards, then sky's the limit as you can really leave it running for the whole day to record a lot of material and later just cut out the silent parts.

There's an idea!  

I'm just so sporadic sometimes.   Like I leave my gear all set up and it's hardware only.  I'll be on my way to bed.  stop off and hit play, jam through some mutes and like THERE IT WAS.  

I'll get a process dialed in at some point.

53 minutes ago, Golden Rolli said:

@J3FF3R00

Have you used that zoom unit?  I am currently using a Sound Devices Mix-pre 10m and it's got a great sound.  

I haven’t used the H6 yet. I have a zoom H4N and I love it. It’s definitely more limited than the 6 but apparently it also has an auto-record function, though I haven’t used it. 

16 hours ago, Golden Rolli said:

@J3FF3R00

Have you used that zoom unit?  I am currently using a Sound Devices Mix-pre 10m and it's got a great sound.  

Yeah from what I have heard, Sound Devices are a complete other league compared to Zoom consumer handhelds.

I suggest getting the biggest SD card in this approved list https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/

And then just remembering to hit record before you start playing.

Here's a technical solution I found in the Mix-pre manual though:

REC TRIGGER The MixPre may be configured to begin recording
when it is triggered. Setting the Record Trigger to HDMI flag will ini-
tiate record when a compatible device issues the record flag via the
HDMI input. The MixPre has two HDMI rec trigger options. HDMI flag
for Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon and Blackmagic cameras and
HDMI FUJIFILM for FUJIFILM cameras. Setting the Record Trigger to
Timecode will initiate record when the MixPre detects running LTC
timecode via the Aux or BNC inputs (MixPre-10T only). Set record
triggers in the Record Menu. When record triggers are used, Pre-
roll is disabled. Setting the Record Trigger to Timecode will initiate
record when the MixPre detects running LTC timecode via the Aux
or BNC inputs (MixPre-10T only). Set record triggers in the Record
Menu. When record triggers are used, Pre-roll is disable

This part seems to suggest that if you can send timecode to the Sound Devices thing, you can set it to trigger recording from that. The catch is that you probably need some other device to convert MIDI to timecode (if you are using any MIDI sequencer in your setup). Also this part says 10-T only, so not sure if it applies to your model.

• Like 1

wow, thanks for deep diving!

Yeah the sound of it is absolutely great.  Why it's hard to imagine going backwards in terms of quality for this one feature.  

Sometimes diligence is the only way forward!

There's also stuff like this

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/7331/auto-record

Which if I wanted to keep the laptop open and running... I don't.  But it's an option also

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:09 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

I haven’t used the H6 yet. I have a zoom H4N and I love it. It’s definitely more limited than the 6 but apparently it also has an auto-record function, though I haven’t used it. 

i've been using tthe Zoom L-12 LiveTrak for a few years now and it's a great value for the price, i assume most or all of the Zoom recorders have something like this. the L-12 has a slightly more powerful set of options for auto-record, but based on the same idea as that video shows.

i don't use the autorecord tho, as i will jam and play for hours or days just writing and listening, and then jam specifically in preparation of a 'recording take' before i actually record. but i can also just activate recording within a few seconds, so i can capture anything almost realtime if things are getting interesting (have definitely done this a few times) ....and also i just use the L-12 as an audio interface w/ my computer for audio playback which i assume would trigger the autorecord. but if you had one of these Zooms as a dedicated mixer/recording device, autorecord might be perfect. playback and deletion of takes/jams to trash them is easy enough on the device and of course the SD cards can hold hours upon hours of recordings so not a problem other than eventually you'll have to sift through all the offcuts. editing and deleting is much easier on a computer tho, in my experience.

Edited by auxien
clarifications
  • Like 2

I think I've resolved for me to just be more intentional whenever I get into my studio.   

The Problem of missing all these little goodies like potential samples, takes, instrumental playings and the like would probably be resolved easiest by just remembering to always hit record.  Probably quicker than editing out all the fluff.

Edited by Golden Rolli