IGNORED

Your in 1994. Who do you prefer, Aphex Twin or AE?

watmmisdead

1 hour ago, droid said:

Its difficult to overstate how hard it was to find out about stuff back then. I used to collect label phone numbers and ring them to try and get records.

correct. no hopping online and finding out about everything you want to know about in under a few minutes.

I wasn't into electronic music back in 1994 because I was happy finding stuff with a lot of distorted guitars back then. I found out about Aphex in '94 through the On video. it was on a VHS tape of a bunch of alternative music music videos I ordered through one of these BMG music club type catalog services. think like Radiohead, Breeders, Afghan Whigs, Blind Melon, Nirvana, videos were on it...and Aphex!

so to answer this silly question, Aphex, because I had no idea abut Ae until sometimes toward the later '90s.

• Like 2

I was there, aphex

I loved autechre, but aphex would make me jump for joy almost. I was looking for that music all my short life and found it.

maybe if I knew about Detroit techno/miami bass, but I knew nothing other than radio

Edited by marf
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, watmmisdead said:

maybe the question wasnt clear enough.

I meant, in 1994, if you were to have followed both artists careers up to 1994, which would you have preffered.

Ok fair enough

In 1994 Aphex released SAW II and Analogue Bubblebath IV.

I mean SAW II, ffs.
But Analogue Bubblebath IV has two of my most favourite tracks of his of all time...
(and two other tracks that I didnt like at all and havent listened to in about 20 years lol)

So in 1994, definitely Aphex.

I was living on the outskirts of London and used to travel in to Berwick St to go to Selectadisk and Sister Ray. There was like a Warp/Rephex section in the racks of CDs (or something like that? can't remember how they labelled it) and I would go and thumb through it to see if there was any new stuff. Thats how I found the AB IV ep. Had no idea it was out. Took it home on the tube and listened to it; mind blown.

Incidentally the On Ep came out in 1993 and the On Ep Remixes were my first encounter with Mu-Ziq. That remix is still amazing now.

Edited by zazen
cylob mistake, that was ventolin
  • Like 3

I actually started getting into both in either late 94 or early 95 after hearing the On ep and Artificial Intelligence comp at a friend’s place who worked at tower records and stole a ton of stuff (including that first Korn album). 
After hearing that comp I was like “oh yeah, gonna check out this AE situation too” and picked up Amber shortly after picking up ventolin and saw2… possibly after icbyd too but can’t remember. I think in 95 tho I was still team AFX all the way. 
those were good days. Banging AFX, AE, Prodigy, Lords of Acid, Coil, Messiah, Orb in my minivan. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, zazen said:

Ok fair enough

In 1994 Aphex released SAW II and Analogue Bubblebath IV.

I mean SAW II, ffs.
But Analogue Bubblebath IV has two of my most favourite tracks of his of all time...
(and two other tracks that I didnt like at all and havent listened to in about 20 years lol)

So in 1994, definitely Aphex.

I was living on the outskirts of London and used to travel in to Berwick St to go to Selectadisk and Sister Ray. There was like a Warp/Rephex section in the racks of CDs (or something like that? can't remember how they labelled it) and I would go and thumb through it to see if there was any new stuff. Thats how I found the AB IV ep. Had no idea it was out. Took it home on the tube and listened to it; mind blown.

Incidentally the On Ep came out in 1993 and the On Ep Remixes were my first encounter with Mu-Ziq. That remix is still amazing now.

its important for me to say I was a kid back then, soyour input is so nice to have!

I agree, in 1994 it becomes clear Aphex is deeper as a artist vs Autechre. 

I should have asked for 1993.

AE just released in 1993 then in 1994, two full LPs that are still today just as important as SAW 2 or Surfing on sine waves

id love to see your answer about 1993, AFX vs AE. I had personally totally overlook the history progression from say 1991 to 1993 from both AFX and AE (lego feet), and i had totally overlook how amazing Lego feet album and Incunabula were.

BTW, who else were you guys absolutely franctic about in 1993-1994? 

1 hour ago, xox said:

lol back in the day four houses were sharing one dumpster, so one day when i took out the trash and opened the dumpster, there was a shoebox with these recorded tapes. naturally i took the box and invited my neighbor friend so we can listen to them (cool stuff for bored adolescent kids). apart from richard clayderman piano, and other pop shit there were lots of 80s and 90s dance and techno songs so that was our occupation for the next couple of months.

the "nononono" song and "what is love" were the ultimate hits

"what is love" still hits the spot today but with a profound weight of a life experience huehue

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Kerrang! (remember that!) was the first weekly music paper I bought as a kid because I was a full on thrash metal head in the very late 80’s early 90’s, then after a few years as I got into other stuff like Sonic Youth, The Cure, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode early Mercury Rev, so I also started buying NME. Aphex was very prominent in the NME back in the day whereas Autechre was hardly ever mentioned. If never. Pretty sure I was buying Aphex records for quite a few years before I became fully aware of the Warp label and ethos. But buying my first Autechre album is viscerally etched into my mind. I don’t know the reason why but some records you never forget buying. It was in Reading HMV and I can even remember most of that process and walking through the aisles. Although it’s now a bit faded round the edges like most memories. It was Amber, it was an entirely blind purchase and it instantly blew me away on first listen. More so than first reconnaissance missions into Squarepusher or BOC territory. Like most loyal music listeners back in the day, it wasn’t long before I’d saved more money and within the next few weeks I’d bought LP5 and Tri Repetae. I actually look back at that decade (90’s) and it blows my mind how much great music I discovered then. That’s also including all the late 60’s and early 70’s stuff like Hendrix, Floyd, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Byrds, Bowie, Dylan, Velvet Underground, Neil Young etc etc. All within 10 years. With no older brothers or sisters to borrow records. And without the internet. Happy days. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YEK said:

Cool, me neither 

Aphex’s version is way poppier sounding. 

this is a afx version

if you listen to the other track on the 1994 ep, its afx as well and featured on his 2003 remix album

Edited by watmmisdead

35 minutes ago, watmmisdead said:

this is a afx version

if you listen to the other track on the 1994 ep, its afx as well and featured on his 2003 remix album

Oops . I’m embarrassed. The slow mix has a different vibe than the fast mix for sure. I just listen to the original track and it’s good too but I like Richard’s drums. 

• Like 1