IGNORED

Loscil & Lawrence English - Colours Of Air by [Kranky]

Scaramouche

Collaboration album dropping the 3rd of Feb next year on Kranky. 

The union of composers Lawrence English and loscil aka Scott Morgan is seamless, sublime, and long overdue. Born of a conversation centered on the notion of “rich sources” as a forge for electronic music, Colours Of Air is a collection of recordings of a century old pipe organ housed at the historic Old Museum in Brisbane, Australia, which were then processed, transformed, and elevated into eight majestic electro-acoustic threshold devotionals. The timbre of the instrument and spatial fluctuations of room tone infuse the music with a subdued, sacred feel, like vaulted light in a nave of stained glass. They describe the album as “an iterative project, a reduction and eventual expansion,” sifting the swells and drones of the organ for every shivering shade of radiance.  

The tracks are named for the hue each piece suggests – from the gauzy levitational miasma of “Yellow” to the pulsing melancholic mirage of “Violet” to the seething twilit sandstorm of “Magenta.” Morgan and English are both adept at conjuring moods of muted grandeur, like landscapes veiled in dusk, still looming and luminous. Here their combined powers open pathways to heightened realms of deep listening and bewitching restraint, finding flickering infinities in ancient configurations of wind, brass, stone, and dust.

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Loscil is super consistent. Maybe one of my top ambient artists. He will be playing live near me in March... might check it out (if the venue lets me bring in pyjamas, a blanket and a glass of warm milk to really get cozy). But yes, this release is very nice.

Ambient is sort of like perfume — you don't remember anything about until it's in the room. Ephemeral but very appreciated. 

• Like 2

The last few months I’ve been spinning the Lawrence English and William Basinski LP Selva Oscura. It’s very good! I’ll definitely be giving this a spin too!

Edited by beerwolf

18 hours ago, beerwolf said:

The last few months I’ve bee spinning the Lawrence English and William Basinski LP Selva Oscura. It’s very good! I’ll definitely be giving this a spin too!

This has remained on my Bandcamp Wishlist for some time, not sure why I never picked it up when it came out. 

Edit: Bought Selva Oscura, it's jolly good. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Went to the show at the Jazz Cafe last night, excellent, revisiting the album again this week. 

There's a tour CD, 'Chroma', that they'll be releasing on Bandcamp soon. 

• 3 weeks later...