IGNORED

Concept: You only listen to music made before 1975 for a entire week.

watmmisdead

hey guys

ive played with that concept for a little while...

let me explain, and my english is not my native language.

about a few months ago, a friend of mine recommended we only listen to music made before 1992. I stopped listening to any music done after 1992. this prompted me to really explore the 80's up to 1992. I discovered so much music I had either stopped listening as a grew up, or simply never heard. The experience have been a eye-opener and im in a sort of musical "renaissance"

Its been about 3 months now that i started this 1992 limit. ive expanded up to 1993 recently. before I get into the 90's further, I wanted to understand the often repeated mantra about the 80s: " the 80's are bad compared to the 70's"

honestly, right now, i disagree with those general idea of the 70's being "better" musical years. who knows, it might be true, but right now i cant say im either expert enough about the 70's music to really take a stand.

so yeah, this thread will be about my journey in the 70s. who cares right? ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

what music will you be listening to?

today ive listened to only 1975 albums:

One Size fits all- Zappa...fav tracks: pojama people (those lyrics are so damn funny), Inca Roads and Andy (that bit that start around 2:40min is so epic)

Bongo Furry- Zappa... never liked this album, but Muffin man is still one of zappas funniest tracks.

Wish you were here- Pink Floyd...Fav tracks: wish you were here and Welcome to the machine. the lyrics are so relevant today

Toys in the Attic- Aerosmith.. Meh. fav tracks: sweet emotion, walk this way

Head hunters- Herbie Hancock.. A classic record. Always put Vein Melter on repeat.

Ive basically listened to Wish you were here all day at work. 

I see there a Brian Eno album i never really spent time with...

interesting list:

https://www.twgeema.com/best-electronic-albums-of-1975

Edited by watmmisdead
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

A week?  I did that for most of the 2000s.

no idea if I follow what you mean but...

will probably stay at least a month in the 70's. just exploring the year 1975 should take at least a week?

I feel I only scratched the surface from 1985 to 1993 and it took a good 2 months. 

Id say, a week per year can be enough to really take a deep dive into each year.

Edited by watmmisdead

A few I've kept coming back to over the years...

Can - Ege Bamyasi

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters/Thrust

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left/Bryter Layter/Pink Moon

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

Definitely going for American funk & soul like Roy Ayers Ubiquity's earlier studio albums, as well as Weldon Irvine, The Delfonics, Mike James Kirkland, The Isley Brothers etc.

As for French artists too, I'll go for Françoise Hardy, Marie Laforêt, Joe Dassin and maybe Serge Gainsbourg

Portugese artist Jorge Ben Jor also put out HEAPS of amazing material before 1975 but my knowledge of South American music is unfortunately really narrow.

Finally I always go for the more well known ones like Nick Drake, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, David Bowie (I love Diamond Dogs), The Stooges and others.

• Like 3

From a production standpoint I’d say the mid-late 70s is among my favorite eras. I think there was a really high level of musicianship and production coming together off the tail end of some of the experiments and technological developments from the years prior that just hit such a peak then. 

I can listen to albums I don’t even like from the 70s and just be totally amazed by how cool they sound. Like, I can’t stand Yes but the other day I was listening to random tracks and just being like Goddamn every instrument sounds so nice and rich and placed perfectly in the mix here. 

I think this is why I get such a boner for Syro, I think this is Rdj in a kind of 70s-esque mode of production - lots of lush gear used to make this rich realm of production. 

• Like 8

listened today to

can- Tago mago. damn, pretty cool album. The first track is stunning. will need more time to digest it all

8 hours ago, milkface said:

Definitely going for American funk & soul like Roy Ayers Ubiquity's earlier studio albums, as well as Weldon Irvine, The Delfonics, Mike James Kirkland, The Isley Brothers etc.

As for French artists too, I'll go for Françoise Hardy, Marie Laforêt, Joe Dassin and maybe Serge Gainsbourg

Portugese artist Jorge Ben Jor also put out HEAPS of amazing material before 1975 but my knowledge of South American music is unfortunately really narrow.

Finally I always go for the more well known ones like Nick Drake, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, David Bowie (I love Diamond Dogs), The Stooges and others.

once i listen to all the recommendations, id be curious about more recent recommendations for portugese and french music, if you dont mind! Im native french, im ashamed to have never even listened to any french artists

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

From a production standpoint I’d say the mid-late 70s is among my favorite eras. I think there was a really high level of musicianship and production coming together off the tail end of some of the experiments and technological developments from the years prior that just hit such a peak then. 

I can listen to albums I don’t even like from the 70s and just be totally amazed by how cool they sound. Like, I can’t stand Yes but the other day I was listening to random tracks and just being like Goddamn every instrument sounds so nice and rich and placed perfectly in the mix here. 

I think this is why I get such a boner for Syro, I think this is Rdj in a kind of 70s-esque mode of production - lots of lush gear used to make this rich realm of production. 

do you have a "audiophile" speaker system?

12 hours ago, watmmisdead said:

once i listen to all the recommendations, id be curious about more recent recommendations for portugese and french music, if you dont mind! Im native french, im ashamed to have never even listened to any french artists

Of course man just send me a message any time. My parents are both French but I was born and raised in England so my recommendations are only really things from the 50s-80s that my parents and grandparents still listen to, and contemporary things that I listen to at the moment. Got very few 90s + 00s recommendations to make I'm afraid! :beer:

As for Portuguese music it was my friend that showed me because he's a massive fan of 60s + 70s South American music in general so I'll need to ask him for more recommendations but I was really impressed with Jorge Ben Jor's material.

Edited by milkface
  • Like 1

Will second Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil is also great.

Some really interesting early electronic music too like:

Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

White Noise - An Electric Storm

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, watmmisdead said:

do you have a "audiophile" speaker system?

No, not at all. I think good music sounds good on a low budget. 

I do have nice headphones and a small home recording studio which is where I listen to music when I’m really trying to appreciate mixes and productions and stuff but it’s very much a “bedroom studio.”

• Like 2