IGNORED

Concept: You only listen to music made before 1975 for a entire week.

watmmisdead

13 hours ago, watmmisdead said:

can- Tago mago. damn, pretty cool album. The first track is stunning. will need more time to digest it all

Check out the Malcolm Mooney period Can, my personal favorite stuff they did.  B side of Monster Movie, everything on Delay 1968.  First 2 Kraftwerk albums and Ralf & Florian, too. Also Brianticket.  

But for some reason arguably the most ahead of its time album of that era, that still sounds ahead of its time today in a lot of ways, came out of Connecticut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are probably the holy trinity of 1960s US and UK synthpop, and prey much mandatory listening if you like first generation, non-academic electronic music:

Taken together as a single piece, Coming Down/Love Song For the Dead Che is probably my favorite pop song of all time (although they're also some of the least electronic on the album).

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 2

Plus jsut about anything Robert Wyatt touched up until at least the mid 70s is fantastic.  Rock Bottm and the first Matching Mole are probably the best, and generally two of the best albums of the 1970s full stop.

I've been listening to a lot of Kate Bush again this winter,and that sent me to the handful of extant recordings of Gurdjieff's harmonium improvisations (since he was one of her primary influences).  Those are also pre 1975 and pretty excellent.

• Like 2

I really like your threads watmmisdead (funny that eh?). I am more fascinated with music from the past than music from the future. I don't know why that is, an age thing perhaps, or is music from the past just better? Or am I of an age where new music made by a younger generation is just a total disconnect to me, which perhaps thats exactly how it should be. I dunno, I'm confused. I guess Burial and Skee Mask who I've liked since their first music dropped make music thats relevant to the youngsters, why do I like that yet not a lot of other stuff? Haha its a strange old situation to be in. A total enigma!!

Metal is a real weird one, I cannot stand hardly any new metal made in the last 15 years. Apart from SUNN O)). 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I've been listening to a lot of Kate Bush again this winter,and that sent me to the handful of extant recordings of Gurdjieff's harmonium improvisations (since he was one of her primary influences).  Those are also pre 1975 and pretty excellent.

i have been obsessed with houds of love album recently! will for sure check it out! many thx!!

2 hours ago, six said:

Will second Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil is also great.

Some really interesting early electronic music too like:

Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

White Noise - An Electric Storm

Listened to Rubycon yesterday night. cant wait to revisit tonight actually! Amazing

compared to another "classic" of 1975, Klaus Schulz timeline (iirc), I actually disliked it. oh welll. maybe I need more time with this

All the Kool & the Gang albums from before 75 are great. I like their first one especially. And the other early funk classics - Sly, P-Funk, etc.

Also early rocksteady - The Paragons, The Gaylads. Absolutely love that stuff.

And Morton Subotnick of course, in the proto-IDM camp.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Boxus said:

the Kool & the Gang albums from before 75 are great.

Great recommendation. “Light of Worlds” is a fave of mine: absolutely gorgeous warm layers of instruments, serving some incredible compositions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watmmisdead said:

i have been obsessed with houds of love album recently! will for sure check it out! many thx!!

The Dreaming is my favorite but Hounds Of Love is close (and Cloudbusting is probably my favorite song she did, or at least my favorite single). 

Apparently Cymande toured again not long ago, or have one scheduled for next year or something?  A freind mentioned it a couple months ago.

Amazing band.

2 hours ago, Boxus said:

All the Kool & the Gang albums from before 75 are great.

Every time I hear Summer Madness it gives me goosebumps. First heard it here. The video has loads of the cast of Kids (1995) that Larry Clark & Harmony Korine film.

3 hours ago, Berk said:

John Martyn

YES

And Roy Harper.

And fuck it, listen to Donovan.  Donovan rules. Especially the Mickie Most/Shawn Philips era, but even some of the 70s stuff (Open Road, a few tracks on Slow Down World).

Also I'm not really that in to the Strawbs in general, but From The Witchwood is a really, really good album.  Kind of like a middle ground between Tyrannosaurus Rex (NOT T. Rex) and, I don't know, Arthur-era Kinks maybe?

The first 3 or 4 Ellen McIlwain albums before she went country are fantastic.

Julie Tippets.

The French band Ame Son did a really uniquealbum that mixes free jazz and psych in a way I haven't heard anywhere else (maybe some Henry Cow and Soft Machine is in the ballpark):

Sam Gopal's rock album is amazing.  His group was doing freeform folk-psych around England but when they got a record deal they decided they should go electic, so they brought one of Hendrix's roadies on as lead guitarist and had him write them some material.

So basically what you have is a whole album of songs written by Lemmy during one 24 hour speed binge, with him playing guitar and signing like Jack Bruce.

tenor.gif

(except their Donovan cover, which sucks)

• Burger 1

Also just watch literally every video on Beat-Club's official channel, incredible stuff on there.

https://www.youtube.com/@beatclub

Black Widow's set is my favorite (NSFW for nudity and simulated human sacrifice):

Obviously not musically on the same level as some of the other artists on there, but I'm a sucker for the 60s/70s satanism aesthetic.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

And fuck it, listen to Donovan.  Donovan rules. Especially the Mickie Most/Shawn Philips era, but even some of the 70s stuff (Open Road, a few tracks on Slow Down World).

????????? times a billion zillion. Open Road is my joint. 

I’m a massive Don fanboy. Pretty much everything he did between 65 and 75 is gold. If anyone ever wants to talk Donovan you know where to find me. 

If you haven’t heard it, his lost / found 1971 John-Phillips-produced album The Sensual Donovan is a banger.

I think I read a quote from him that he had forgotten he had recorded the entire fuckin thing. The man is magical. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

AFAIK they were already involved with Scientology at this point, but it was early enough that it hadn't really polluted their music yet.

I didn't know about that Donovan, thanks for the tip!

On the folk psych topic, I happen to live not too far from where this was recorded, so even though it's a private press rarity with less than 1000 copies pressed I've got two (the first one was literalyl abandoned in the basement of an apartment I was living in around 2012, and the other was $10 at a used video game shop that also carries records) and a friend of mine has 3 or 4.  Kind of crazy how may we have, really, all things considered:

Too bad about all the tracking distortion on the vocals, but I guess it was cut into the lacquer - every copy I've played has it in exactly the same spots.

I've also got a copy of the second Perspective record, but it isn't very good.  The third one ("Oh My God They Baked His Face") hasn't turned up yet.

• Burger 1