IGNORED

Chiastic Slide or Confield?

cern

Chiastic Slide vs Confield   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Chiastic Slide or Confield?

• Chiastic Slide
    • Confield

i bought Confield at local fav record store in san diego. had just been through a difficult break up. i was kinda shut down. Confield was perfect for my brain at that moment. when i got i was walking out the store and around the corner was a restaurant that had an outdoor hostess station and the hostess was french i think. She said "what'd you buy?" and i said new autechre.. and she said something like "oooh, like, minimal, very nice...." and i said yeah and kept walking because was in total introvert mode and too stupid to stop and chat w/the tall french woman. anyway.. went home to my apartment and played the vinyl for a good long while. those opening tones delivered.

2 minutes ago, dcom said:

I take the Fifth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, dcom said:

I take the Fifth.

I was trying to be humorous with this by not telling which one I like better, and at the same time make a vague reference to LP5 which is between Chiastic Slide and Confield, but it seems again that I tried to be too clever.

Nevertheless, I prefer Chiastic Slide. I'm a sucker for harmonic/melodic things, and Chiastic Slide has more of it.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Big Brain 2

Chiastic Slide is absolutely incredible and has long been my favourite album (here on WATMM we can accept that EP7 is decidedly an EP without any fuss or muss, I presume) of the "pre-Confield era", so having to answer this was both straightforward and a little heartbreaking, tbh.

I'm not sure why compare these two albums... I think there are a lot of pairs in their discography but I would think chiastic pairs with tri rep and confield pairs with ep7...

Anyway... I love both these albums, but I hardly ever listen to confield... To me it's like something I really have to be in the mood for but when I am I love it.

So I picked chiastic just cos it's easier to listen to, and it really is one of my favorites anyway.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, splesh said:

here on WATMM we can accept that EP7 is decidedly an EP without any fuss or muss, I presume

To me it's an album, not just because it's album-length but also because it's really cohesive, great flow, has all the qualities of a good "album" imo.  Again I wasn't around to see it released as two seperate EPs (not sure if this happened at all in North America actually..?) so it just came into my hands as an hour-long album that was called an EP for reasons unknown to me at the time.  And it beats them all.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 5

People who find Confield challenging:  What is challenging about it?

I found Draft way more challenging. At the time it struck me as being really contrived. I grew to love it of course but it was a lot more difficult to get into. Confield just felt natural and still does.

• Like 1

Chiastic Slide by a mile. Love confield but I have to be in a certain mood for it. Chiastic Slide is more melodic yet still sounds experimental and as ae as their later albums. 

• Like 2

Very disappointed in these results 

I certainly love chiastic slide, and it was my first introduction to Ae. But Confield should be the clear winner!

and the comments about people not choosing Confield because they have to be in the right mood just doesn’t sit right with me. 
some of what I consider the all time best albums are ones I might reserve for special occasions. Because my reaction to them is SO intense and it completely takes over my world, so I have to set aside time to let myself become completely taken over by them. 
chiastic is an album I can put on and love, but still be a functional human being. Confield takes me over and I cease to exist in the physical world 

• Like 4
  • Farnsworth 1

3 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

lol "minimal"

it does have some minimal moments.. i mean.. a bunch of their tunes are pretty stripped down aren't they? but i was hung up on how she said 'minimal' for a long time because of her accent and me being a dumb idiot for not stopping walking down the sidewalk and having a conversation about it with her or whatever.

• Farnsworth 1

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

it does have some minimal moments.. i mean.. a bunch of their tunes are pretty stripped down aren't they? but i was hung up on how she said 'minimal' for a long time because of her accent and me being a dumb idiot for not stopping walking down the sidewalk and having a conversation about it with her or whatever.

I mean for a random stranger to have any response other than "never heard of them" is pretty unusual on its own tbf

• Like 1

My immediate response to Chiastic circa ~2001 (when I was first getting into autechre) was "oh this is great" and my opinion never changed much from there.

My response to Confield was "Yeee too much", followed by a 20 year route to being one of my favourite albums ever.

I was going to say that Chiastic is more a shower than a grower, but realised under this metaphor Confield is less the other way round than "Jeez, I'm not sure if that thing is ever going to fit in there".

On 1/4/2023 at 7:40 PM, YELLOW said:

Chiastic gets my vote. Confield hasn't quite "unfurled" for me yet and I'm not trying to rush it along

Watch this in the dark:

Just want to announce to everyone that I’m planning to explain my reasons for choosing chiastic in this poll but I don’t have the time for it atm. i will try to find the right words to describe my feelings and thoughts behind it and i know that english language has 2-3 perfect words that i could use for this and once you read my reasons you won’t be disappointed with my decision anymore and as a matter of fact you will most certainly agree with me and you will probably never be the same person again… well, actually I could explain myself right now… why not, right? or not? No! Ok, let’s leave it for another occasion! Hopefully I’ll find the time this year… or next, who knows! But I promise you, you’ll love my reasons more than confield itself! …stay tuned!

love ❤️ xox

Edited by xox
  • Haha 4
  • Farnsworth 1

14 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

People who find Confield challenging:  What is challenging about it?

I found Draft way more challenging. At the time it struck me as being really contrived. I grew to love it of course but it was a lot more difficult to get into. Confield just felt natural and still does.

I basically had the same experience with Draft.

I'm not even sure I find confield difficult anymore as much as it is... Quirky. It's so squishy and farty and organic. It's like a really strong blue cheese. Delicious, but not something I would want every day.

• Like 4
  • Burger 1

20 hours ago, ignatius said:

it does have some minimal moments.. i mean.. a bunch of their tunes are pretty stripped down aren't they?

I guess it is one of those terms that could be interpreted a few different ways yeah. Some might think VI Scose Poise is minimal because it uses only a couple "instruments". But in my mind, the percussive element is doing so many interesting things that I wouldn't consider the word minimal to describe this track. So for me it's a matter of considering amount of detail - edits, timbral variations, "events" - vs number of building block elements, I guess ? 

I dunno, generally when I think of "minimal" I think of stuff like SND lol, but not Ae... Not most Ae at least, and definitely not Confield. 

1 hour ago, flacid said:

Confield. More unique.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unique

pen-icon.svg Can something be very unique or somewhat unique?: Usage Guide 

Many commentators have objected to the comparison or modification (as by somewhat or very) of unique, often asserting that a thing is either unique or it is not. Objections are based chiefly on the assumption that unique has but a single absolute sense, an assumption contradicted by information readily available in a dictionary. Unique dates back to the 17th century but was little used until the end of the 18th when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was reacquired from French. H. J. Todd entered it as a foreign word in his edition (1818) of Johnson's Dictionary, characterizing it as "affected and useless." Around the middle of the 19th century it ceased to be considered foreign and came into considerable popular use. With popular use came a broadening of application beyond the original two meanings (here numbered senses 1 and 2a). In modern use both comparison and modification are widespread and standard but are confined to the extended senses 2b and 3. When sense 1 or sense 2a is intended, unique is used without qualifying modifiers.

• Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

15 hours ago, ignatius said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unique

pen-icon.svg Can something be very unique or somewhat unique?: Usage Guide 

Many commentators have objected to the comparison or modification (as by somewhat or very) of unique, often asserting that a thing is either unique or it is not. Objections are based chiefly on the assumption that unique has but a single absolute sense, an assumption contradicted by information readily available in a dictionary. Unique dates back to the 17th century but was little used until the end of the 18th when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was reacquired from French. H. J. Todd entered it as a foreign word in his edition (1818) of Johnson's Dictionary, characterizing it as "affected and useless." Around the middle of the 19th century it ceased to be considered foreign and came into considerable popular use. With popular use came a broadening of application beyond the original two meanings (here numbered senses 1 and 2a). In modern use both comparison and modification are widespread and standard but are confined to the extended senses 2b and 3. When sense 1 or sense 2a is intended, unique is used without qualifying modifiers.

I'm not going to pretend to understand that... ?

IMO Autechre's work sits in the highest echelons of electronic music. 

Within this work, Confield is most Autechrean (to me)

• Like 1