IGNORED

Principles of Geometry- This album is like a love letter to BOC

Alzado

This album just came out a few weeks ago and it is one of the best things I’ve heard in  ages. It’s definitely an ode to 90s era Warp and is HEAVILY influenced by boc. Check it. 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, YEK said:

I really like the first one, sounds very mhtrtc lovely editing.  The others sound way too much like rip-offs.

I’d encourage you to listen to the whole album. It follows a particular path and the tracks progress. 

Yeah, bought this as well recently. Wouldn’t call it the best album in ages though. Although I haven’t spent much time with it, it’s good. Enjoyable stuff. Especially if you miss boc. There’s nothing annoying about it. Which I tend to have with a lot of boc copy cats. It just happens to remind you of them. Although its more varied. A bit more electro, to my ears. In this sense i prefer it over boc really. With boc i find it hard to sit through a whole album. Because it all becomes too similar after a while. Despite the individual tracks being brilliant. This album is more varied. Although, again, haven’t spent much time with it.

This album deserves more attention 

2 hours ago, dcom said:

It's a nice BoC pastiche, a very good one in that category, but a pastiche nonetheless.

yeah, it seems like he's really proud that he found that BOC formula, some tracks are particularly similar, even directly sampled (Cmd Ctrl). It's nice music, but can't shake that imitation feel...

For everyone saying it’s a rip off, I think you’re missing the point. I’d say it’s a purposeful nod. If you listen to the album start to finish, it’s pretty clearly a nod to lots of different warp influences. See below.

But the album progress over time hitting different eras. Boc is the biggest influence but it’s not them alone. These guys were already successful doing more mainstream stuff. Then they took a 10 year break and came back with this. I think it’s brilliant. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Alzado said:

For everyone saying it’s a rip off, I think you’re missing the point.

I explicitly said pastiche, see the definition. Yes, there's more than just BoC influences, e.g. Hummerican's pads are a nod towards LFO, and yes it's a fun album, and by far their best, but it's impossible to shake the feeling that they're riding on the coattails of others rather than standing on their shoulders.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2

MHTRTC came out 25 years ago. At some point, new generations of artists are going to pop up and reveal boc’s influence in their own music. That’s a good thing in my opinion. It’s not lthe same as someone aping them while they were still active (early Tycho). 

I remember liking new rock bands in the 90s and my dad saying things like “they’re just ripping off zeppelin.” At some point whatever. Don’t be techno dads.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Alzado said:

Don’t be techno dads.

There are gazillions of electronic artists doing impressive, idiosyncratic, unique, and interesting things without "nodding towards" anyone, but for some reason BoC seems to be one of the most imitated and pastiched, and especially on a forum like WATMM, you're bound to get called out for enthusiastically liking things that are a bit more than just nods because we know and love BoC through and through. Pastiche also implies a lack of originality, coherence and an imitative jumble, and that's what I think this album is - and as I said before, it's a good one at that - but you don't need to release a 26-track album that mostly sounds like and is stylistically similar (albeit in a superficial way) to BoC to "nod". There's way more expressive breadth in electronic music than in traditional rock, so the comparison has a pretty big limp; your argumentation might fly with the established PoG fan base, but here? Not so much.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, dcom said:

There's way more expressive breadth in electronic music than in traditional rock, so the comparison has a pretty big limp

Yikes. That’s a pretty elitist thing to say. I’m sure there are jazz and classical fans who would say the same thing about the music you love. Every genre of music is equally capable of expression. It’s just the subjective act of listeners making value judgments that shapes how we think about it  

But either way, I’m not here to aggressively argue that my opinion is more correct than yours. I think you’re wrong but have no desire to persuade you and am already bored by it.

Just now, Alzado said:

But either way, I’m not here to aggressively argue that my opinion is more correct than yours. I think you’re wrong but have no desire to persuade you and am already bored by it.

Thank you, I aim to please.

30 minutes ago, Alzado said:

Mission failed, in that case

Yes, it has been established several times here on WATMM that my attempts at humour fail more often than not, this time it was sarcasm - but at least I seem to be consistent with my failings (this being an instance of self-irony).

Edited by dcom

1 hour ago, Alzado said:

Don’t be techno dads.

IDM is the dad rock of electronic music.   We're all old farts here coping for nostalgia, this is why the forum still somehow exists at it's fundamental base. 

Waiting for a new BOC album has the same symbolism as people still buying Nirvana T-shirts.

Edited by Bob Dylan
  • Haha 1

I don't have a problem with these "nods". As I'm sure half the stuff we're listening to and think is original is in fact also a nod. Whether it's a nod to Kraftwerk, Brian Eno or some more obscure/avantgarde artist. Like Squarepusher is a whole bunch of nods. But of course, he brought his own personality with him. You can argue about PoG. Imo, it has enough personality to stand on it's own legs. 

/ techno dad

Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 3