IGNORED

James Holden - Imagine This Is A High Dimensional Space Of All Possibilities

thumbass

Album dropping March 31st. Not too familiar with his stuff but the first single sounds awesome:

(Not gonna copy the write up since it's longer than the new testament)

First single:

• Like 8

I used to know Holden as a cheesy melodic trance producer up until I heard The Inheritors, which has been a really important album for me ever since. The new one sounds decidedly different, but at least it's not trance, either. I highly recommend The Inheritors, and will dip my toes in the new one, when it's released.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, thumbass said:

Album dropping March 31st. Not too familiar with his stuff but the first single sounds awesome.

Pre-order: https://jamesholden.bandcamp.com/album/imagine-this-is-a-high-dimensional-space-of-all-possibilities

First single:

Holy shit! This track is fantastic. I’m excited to have him back! Inheritors is an amazing album but Idiots Are Winning is truly special. 

Man this track really is killer. Maybe I need to take a better dive into his discog. I've only listened to The Idiots Are Winning because it had a funny album title but it hasn't really stuck with me at all.

2 hours ago, thumbass said:

Man this track really is killer. Maybe I need to take a better dive into his discog. I've only listened to The Idiots Are Winning because it had a funny album title but it hasn't really stuck with me at all.

While you are at it, check out the other early Border Community albums from Nathan Fake and Luke Abbott.  All hit that analogue melodic sweet spot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For some reason I have always dismissed him, but there’s too many folks in this thread (who have impeccable taste) that prove that I’m probably completely wrong ?

I’ll check these records out this weekend :watmm:

Edited by beerwolf

Looking forward to this, new track sounds great. First thing I heard was The Inheritors, and then The Animal Spirits in 2017. How's that one not been mentioned yet? I checked out The Idiots Are Winning until a couple years later and it's good but for me, not on the same level as the later two.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Looking forward to this, new track sounds great. First thing I heard was The Inheritors, and then The Animal Spirits in 2017. How's that one not been mentioned yet? I checked out The Idiots Are Winning until a couple years later and it's good but for me, not on the same level as the later two.

I need to give Animal Spirits another spin. Kind of glazed over it at the time.

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Idiots Are Winning features that amazing track :

But the whole album was a disappointment for me at the time of release.

Edited by Jafs
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Here to say Nathan Fake fucking rocks. Blizzards was one of my favorite albums from 2020.

Blizzards was great, never ventured further into the Fake catalogue

On 1/12/2023 at 11:13 AM, thumbass said:

Album dropping March 31st. Not too familiar with his stuff but the first single sounds awesome.

Pre-order: https://jamesholden.bandcamp.com/album/imagine-this-is-a-high-dimensional-space-of-all-possibilities

First single:

Cool track, enjoying all the piano riffs clattering together, hand perc, the lack of a bassline or kick gives this a really unique meandering, jammy quality. Quintessentially dreamlike. The communion of lifeforms/entities on the art makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Goiter Sanchez

Listening to the idiots are winning for the first time in like 15 years, goddamn that's some nostalgic shit. He's yet to put out a clonker as far as I'm concerned, and although I guess he's (understandably) done with DJíng his DJ-Kicks is still one of the best psychedelic post-krautrock workouts there ever was IMHO:

Its sounds like you are on a really wild party and people are start to destroy your furniture while dancing on the table and stuff. Its a bit much but maybe that changes with more listens 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:00 AM, o00o said:

Its sounds like you are on a really wild party planet and people gnomes are start to destroy your furniture insecurities while dancing on the table stars and stuff. Its a bit much but maybe that changes with more listens 

ftfy

• Big Brain 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:50 PM, species8472 said:

idiots / inheritors are both amazing.

even when he was doing the “cheesy melodic trance” stuff back in the day his tunes were the best. horizons is a beast!

Yeah I was a massive James Holden fan in the early 00's when Sasha, Armin, Tiesto etc were dropping his tunes.

This is the banger:

Horizons, The Wheel, etc... all gold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jafs said:

There's not a month I don't listen to his Balance 005 mixes.

Yes! Pure gold that.  

The Chris Fortier Balance mixes were great too, but I think James Holden's effort was by far the best.

Another cracking tune of his:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

The Chris Fortier Balance mixes were great too, but I think James Holden's effort was by far the best.

Joris Voorn's Balance 014 was nearly as good, even if not being the same kind of beast. I'll lend an attentive ear to the Chris Fortier effort, thanks for the tip !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jafs said:

Joris Voorn's Balance 014 was nearly as good, even if not being the same kind of beast. I'll lend an attentive ear to the Chris Fortier effort, thanks for the tip !

Ah yes, Voorn was neat.  Kinda forgot about that.  He had a ton of tracks all layered up and spliced, it was great. 

Chris Fortier's is a fairly straightforward tech house mix but across 3xCDs. At the time it really hit the spot - I should probably give it a listen again (its definitely been a few years, may have aged). Some great DJs did that series actually, looking at the discogs now, I remember Lee Burridge, Anthony Pappa, Phil K and Will Saul all bringing great mixes too.