IGNORED

James Holden - Imagine This Is A High Dimensional Space Of All Possibilities

thumbass

On 1/12/2023 at 8:39 PM, dcom said:

I used to know Holden as a cheesy melodic trance producer up until I heard The Inheritors

Thanks for the pointer, that one is a nice surprise and damn fine album. For some reasons I initially liked Caterpillar... "Cheesy melodic trance" was my prejudice as well. Just knew one track before: "Lump", which gave me some RDJ/Windowlicker vibes because of its use of voice.

40 minutes ago, WurstPLUS said:

Thanks for the pointer, that one is a nice surprise and damn fine album.

My favourite track is Blackpool Late Eighties (the polymetric melody phrase is the thing), then most probably Renata, but all in all it's full of brilliance.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 3:49 AM, beerwolf said:

this was great, thanks for the link :catsalute:

Spoiler

A relatively simply-patched modular is used for making nice tones, the computer for generative sequencing, MIDI, chord augmentation and production of LFOs: “Half the composition is building the instrument. I build a system and it doesn’t quite work, so I correct it, or it doesn’t respond quite in the way I think it will but something interesting comes out of it. But if I buy a synth from a shop, I’ve outsourced my favourite bit of the creative process to some company, and given them way too much money for a lot of plastic and metal that doesn’t need to be in the world.”

....where I consider myself fairly cynical, Holden turns out to be much more hardline than I am. When I mention being conflicted by Boiler Room – these streams ‘teach’ people how to act in clubs way before they ever get there codifying the whole experience, but what about the access to people whose circumstances mean they’ll never get to these clubs – he sets me straight: “I think what Boiler Room offers isn't access to that club. What it offers is the illusion of access. There's nothing like the actual experience to be had from a Boiler Room stream. People used to trade bootleg recordings of my DJ sets and I just thought it was the stupidest thing. Sure it's okay music, but an mp3 of a set is about 5% of the experience of hearing it in a club. And similarly the streaming video of a DJ set is 5% of the experience. And you are killing this experience by observing it. It’s the observer’s paradox. The level of risks that [DJs] are willing to take changes if the set is being recorded forever. Boiler Room’s goal is to extract things from club culture for free and then to sell them to someone else via an asymmetrical power relationship. Most of the problems in dance music stem from these extractive practices.”

"...I already thought of music as serving an incredibly important social function, or being pseudo religious, having a therapeutic function. But this is what music is: it brings communities together. And that’s what I think its evolutionary purpose is.”

i really like this guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

I don’t think this album ever got the credit it deserved tbh. Great track

I've given a first spin only a few months ago, and since then it's on heavy rotation. Even picked the CD on discogs marketplace.

Fundamental / Boilerroom / Bloodlock is such a amazing sequence.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So hyped for this release, seems like something special from Holden and like a more focussed and electronic version of his "The Animal Spirits" noodlings and following instrumental sounding stuff.

"The Idiots Are Winning" is indeed one of these special LPs you keep coming back to.

Yeah and thanks for the Balance mix series, never heard these!

Edited by tokn

This album is amazing...probably my AOTY so far. It has Inheritors vibes but flows so much better. This is definitely meant to be listened to as an album. So lush! Lots of dubby-tribal vibes throughout. Holden is kinda like Vibert to me - I wouldn't call myself the biggest fan out there, but godamn I'm so glad to grow up in an era where he's making music. 

I'll be listening to this for a while. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Loving the PDF of artwork, was this art Ai generated?

That would surprise me... Is there no artist credited?