IGNORED

Overmono - Good Lies (album)

thumbass

Album releasing May 12th. 

I have become a big fan of them over the years so I can't be more excited. Their EP's are all bangers so im curious to see how they handle the album format.

Pre-order: 

https://overmono.bandcamp.com/album/good-lies

First single:

Overmono announce their debut album Good Lies will be released on Friday 12th May 2023 via XL Recordings. The announcement comes in-line with the release of “Is U”, the second track to be revealed from the forthcoming album following “Walk Thru Water” (“a display of their impeccable grasp of sound design.” - Clash) which was released in November of last year

Highly anticipated would be an understatement; since their inception Overmono have purposefully cultivated a fanbase that heralds them as one of the UK’s most original contemporary live electronic acts. A run of ground-breaking club EPs between 2020 and 2022 built momentum and culminated in their breakthrough club single, “So U Kno”, which encapsulated the hearts of clubbers and went on to become a bonafide phenomenon as dancefloors re-opened; featuring in end of year lists published by Resident Advisor, Pitchfork, DJ Mag and Mixmag. Since then, Overmono have been named ‘Best Live Act’ at the prestigious DJ Mag Best of British Awards, taken their custom audio-visual live show to the most credible festivals across the globe, including Glastonbury, Movement Festival, Dekmantel and to sold-out crowds in London, LA and NYC as part of their debut headline tour last year. And, they have produced innovative releases including their instalment of their ‘Fabric Presents’ DJ mix series and collaborations with the likes of Joy Orbison.

Now, Overmono return to present their most ambitious release to date. Across the twelve-track project, Overmono journey through a powerful distillation of their musical career so far; incorporating “So U Kno” alongside new music that propels them beyond the dancefloor. Good Lies remoulds and interweaves captivating vocal cuts into a series of multi-genre electronic sounds that flits effortlessly between euphoria and melancholy.

Talking about their debut album Good Lies, Overmono says: “Across the last two years, we have spent so much time on the road, making music whenever we could. Moving around all the time was always really inspiring and got us experimenting a lot and having fun with how we created chords or chopped and pitched vocals. This album is really a letter of love to the journey so far and marks where we want to take things. Much love, T&E x

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 5

Logged on just now to make this thread! Really excited for this release, and hopefully I'll be able to go to one of their shows in future since I wasn't able to go last minute last September. (@overmono can I have my £20 back? or....)

Also, obviously isn't an Overmono release without the doberman pic lol

a3493924304_16.jpg

EDIT: I caved and preordered the CD and a really cool A1 poster.

Edited by milkface
  • Like 3

I recently discovered these guys myself and will definitely be looking forward to this one.

They have allot of great tracks, one of my favorites:

Edited by viscosity
  • Like 1

Prob my most listened to artists of 2022, they defined a lot of moments in my life music wise last year. Is U is a belter as always. Saw them live in Amsterdam last year as well and it was one of the best sets i've ever heard.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:08 AM, thumbass said:

Album releasing May 12th. 

I have become a big fan of them over the years so I can't be more excited. Their EP's are all bangers so im curious to see how they handle the album format.

Pre-order: 

https://overmono.bandcamp.com/album/good-lies

First single:

Overmono announce their debut album Good Lies will be released on Friday 12th May 2023 via XL Recordings. The announcement comes in-line with the release of “Is U”, the second track to be revealed from the forthcoming album following “Walk Thru Water” (“a display of their impeccable grasp of sound design.” - Clash) which was released in November of last year

Highly anticipated would be an understatement; since their inception Overmono have purposefully cultivated a fanbase that heralds them as one of the UK’s most original contemporary live electronic acts. A run of ground-breaking club EPs between 2020 and 2022 built momentum and culminated in their breakthrough club single, “So U Kno”, which encapsulated the hearts of clubbers and went on to become a bonafide phenomenon as dancefloors re-opened; featuring in end of year lists published by Resident Advisor, Pitchfork, DJ Mag and Mixmag. Since then, Overmono have been named ‘Best Live Act’ at the prestigious DJ Mag Best of British Awards, taken their custom audio-visual live show to the most credible festivals across the globe, including Glastonbury, Movement Festival, Dekmantel and to sold-out crowds in London, LA and NYC as part of their debut headline tour last year. And, they have produced innovative releases including their instalment of their ‘Fabric Presents’ DJ mix series and collaborations with the likes of Joy Orbison.

Now, Overmono return to present their most ambitious release to date. Across the twelve-track project, Overmono journey through a powerful distillation of their musical career so far; incorporating “So U Kno” alongside new music that propels them beyond the dancefloor. Good Lies remoulds and interweaves captivating vocal cuts into a series of multi-genre electronic sounds that flits effortlessly between euphoria and melancholy.

Talking about their debut album Good Lies, Overmono says: “Across the last two years, we have spent so much time on the road, making music whenever we could. Moving around all the time was always really inspiring and got us experimenting a lot and having fun with how we created chords or chopped and pitched vocals. This album is really a letter of love to the journey so far and marks where we want to take things. Much love, T&E x

yeah, they get it with the emotional vocals

but i dunno, it lacks grunt. its all too polished. 

Edited by watmmisdead

"Walk Thru Water" is another generic, hip hop sounding track that for some reason hit me at the right time, they're always playing these types of songs at the Plasma donation site I frequent.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually after I was shocked about the pop appeal of this LP it really grew on me, reminding me of James Blake's CMYK and early UK Funky Stuff. If you want some typical Overmono dubstep bangers (lol) this will disappoint you. The new Bicep? Still kind of sad I missed their Berlin gig this winter.

• Like 1

Haven’t invested any time at all into their new stuff. Sounds iffy from what I’m reading. I think they do tread a fine line between great and terrible, which is sometimes part of their appeal. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 2:20 PM, species8472 said:

it’s a pop album. and a enjoyable one. they are in debt to burial for all that vocal work. 

They are different enough from burial imo. Everyone who's ever used vocals in a dubstep/ UKG track owes Burial.

Anyway, great album, love the pop appeal. Hopefully they'll keep getting more popular so that this type of electronic music gets more widespread. It doesn't sound cheap at all and I feel like they put great care into this project.

Aoty contender for me personally.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 2

There's a few good tracks but it's a bit underwhelming overall - dropping the beats and upping the vocals doesn't really play to their strengths IMO. 

Second half of the LP picks up the pace and sounds better for it. Best track by far is So U Know, but that's a year old now. 

• Like 1

Yeah this isn't really for me.  I guess it might have been curated alongside the powers that be in XL Towers for maximum album sales potential. 

Grimey club bangers reserved for EPs which is cool.