IGNORED

Clark - Sus Dog (new album)

thumbass

I dont know what to make of it. On the one hand this is arguably  the best new era Clark work. It's very well produced and I guess his vocals sound good for a newby. On the other hand, it's just not my thing. I have defended his works ever since most people started turning sour on him but I don't know.

I really dislike Thom Yorke too so yeah. It could be a grower, well see.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 8:15 PM, jules said:

I know I’m a broken record on every new chris clark release thread - he doesn’t stop exploring - he always pushes himself - blah blah blah. While I agree with the Thom voice sentiments already expressed, I give tons of credit for just going full tilt on what his voice is. He’s used it a lot and obviously has a knack for hooks but damn, there are a ton of vocal hooks on this and good ones at that. Have to give him props for pushing his own creativity. There’s nothing better than that than any artist can do. Looking forward to exploring this much more than anything he’s done in many many years.

My favourite thing he’s done in almost 20 years. This is really good.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, thumbass said:

It's very well produced and I guess his vocals sound good for a newby.

Yeah I’m not sure but in a weird way I think this might be why I like it so much. Just kind of going back to his roots and trying shit, rather than fitting a record label uh… label. Not a fan of tom porke ofc and I hear the relation but like Clark’s version better ? 

• Like 4

This album seems to be picking up steam with good vibes in various places so I’m gonna give it a spin. It certainly sounds intriguing. I’m not a huge Clark fan but respect him and enjoy various bits and pieces he has created over the years. So count me in Mr Clark ☝️

• Like 1

Do I like it as a “Clark” album? As in, does it give me all the reasons I love “Clark Albums”.

No.

Is it a fantastic album with a bonus of a lot of the reasons I love Clark?  

Absofuckinlutely.

Just gorgeous. Will be getting heavy rotation now and future. 

Also gonna put this and playground on a lake in a playlist together and give it a listen on random a la drukqs. The harder beat drive vocal tracks meet the new classical leanings… 

After all my nasty comments (if for anything I will go to hell for haha) I like this surprisingly much. It even made me revisit Iradelphic. The emotional middle part sounds so Body Riddle and yet fresh. There is still hope I guess. I wonder how he will perform this live?

• Like 1

This is definitely his best in a while, and I actually quite like a lot of Death Peak and S/T (hard pass on 'playground in a lake' though).

After a few listens decided to pick up the vinyl - prices are all over the place.  Bleep is £34 (standard edition) whereas his bleepstore is £11 cheaper at £23.  Bandcamp is £25 but with huge postage, and Norman have it for £35.  Very strange.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PurpleMoustache said:

As a Thom Yorke agnostic (I’ve tried to get into Radiohead multiple times, only to be put off by Yorke’s voice) I surprisingly love this. Could end up being one of the best albums of the year

Same boat here friend; welcome btw. Yeah I can't really stand Tom Porke, radiohead is not for me it just sounds like a sad wailing banshee. But for whatever reason this Clark album is my favourite thing in a while. 

• Like 2

I was listening to this the other day on my new headphones while out and about and there were some moments that I got the chills. Just great moments. The production reminds me of old Clark. The singing is actually good too. 

Edited by YEK
  • Like 2

I'm genuinely happy for others who are getting into this, but just tried listening all the way through again and still didn't enjoy it at all lol (apart from the obviously fantastic mixing and great punchy overall sound.) But apart from that it seems quite limited, like he's always in the same scales or something, and too many dissatisfying moments where I hoped for some payoff but something meandered into nothing. tbh I even prefer Tim Exile's 'Listening Tree' for electronic musician now does singing. I know it got a lot of hate and it's not my favourite thing ever but it has plenty of imagination and surprise, that's for sure.

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lianne said:

I'm genuinely happy for others who are getting into this, but just tried listening all the way through again and still didn't enjoy it at all lol (apart from the obviously fantastic mixing and great punchy overall sound.) But apart from that it seems quite limited, like he's always in the same scales or something, and too many dissatisfying moments where I hoped for some payoff but something meandered into nothing. tbh I even prefer Tim Exile's 'Listening Tree' for electronic musician now does singing. I know it got a lot of hate and it's not my favourite thing ever but it has plenty of imagination and surprise, that's for sure.

I still enjoy Listening Tree here and there. Always found it weird how universally panned it was. Maybe Sus gets filed in your don’t like folder or maybe it grows on you. I found it quite pleasant, similar comfortable scales were ok for me I’m glad it kind of set into a groove sonically and didn’t have surprises at every turn.

Maybe I’m just getting old and enjoying nostalgia vibes more than experimentalism or something lol. 

cheers

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

On 6/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, cern said:

Clark for electronic music is like who Bono from U2 is for the Rock music 

You should really think about a career in music journalism.

Yeah and it is a mad grower. Somehow the preview singles didn't work at all without the album context.

Went and saw his show in Brooklyn last night and he brought some serious heat. Really well done set. New stuff blended in really well and his voice sounded great live. Middle part of the show was very jammy and he spanned across some dubby drum and bass, off kilter techno and some wild crunchy hip hoppy beats. All very Clark. He was doing a lot up there. Even got to shake the man’s hand afterwards at the bar. Which was cool after listening to the dude for 23 years. Good stuff. 

IMG_7903.MOV

I didn’t take any vids aside from this because I was super into it. And I only took this one because he got out of his wheelchair for this transition. This got nasty too. Sorry for cutting it short.

Cheers

Edited by jules
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, jules said:

Went and saw his show in Brooklyn last night and he brought some serious heat. Really well done set. New stuff blended in really well and his voice sounded great live. Middle part of the show was very jammy and he spanned across some dubby drum and bass, off kilter techno and some wild crunchy hip hoppy beats. All very Clark. He was doing a lot up there.

OMG I almost came.

I lost all hope one day I would say: Wow, that's a new Clark LP I love putting on and on again. Well here it is. Mad in love with Dolgoch Tape and Wedding.

• 2 weeks later...