IGNORED

Surgeon - Crash Recoil [Tresor]

Really impressed with this album, I've been playing it consistently since Friday. A tight suite of tracks with lots of details to focus in on. It's going to be tough to album to beat this year for me. 

On 3/19/2023 at 9:06 AM, tokn said:

Killer LP after a lot of recent Surgeon felt kind of formulistic to me, a very good suprise. This is proper techno and makes me wanna go out to sweaty basement raves, like others mentioned here. Probably you know this gem, but Surgeon and Ilian Tape are a match made in heaven:

I missed both of the EPs on Ilian Tape, love the Detroit vibes on this track. 

there was a time when surgeon was a solid bank but as I went on  many festivals in the last year he just became one of many. he is still good but there is so much more like Blazej Malinowski, DVS1, Peter Van Hoesen, DJ NOBU, Valentino Mora, Claudio PRC etc to just name a few

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

In the middle you might find a babbling possessed sage standing centre stage behind either something as simple as a pair of decks that dominates all in its path like a shot of sonic voltage to the head by turning speakers into beasts, casting spells upon the audiences awaiting sonic orders that forces them to levitate and collapse before the witchdoctor’s wartorn altar. 

A million hot swords drawn, a million vines severed, a million humming nuclear reactors exploding at different times and the megacities erected upon them start to wobble, the ominous vibrations of Hope Not Hate wrap the ear around its finger in a savage, chimeric chant of entrancing engine-heavy finesse. A sublime, sonorous roar with a reverberating, rib-rattling, tooth-loosening drum at one thumb and whatever else rests at the remaining fingers, it’s an odyssey in a cauldron that’s been on the boil since the 90s, ever in Surgeon’s control.

?‍♂️

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

At the heart of my setup is the SOMA Electronics Pulsar-23. I’m using that to create very low kick drums and the way I’ve set it up lets me use one of the potentiometers to tune them higher and lower so the notes aren’t constant throughout the whole set. I also use the Pulsar to create acidy synth voices, snare claps and hi-hats. It has these completely unquantised CV loop recorders for all the sounds, which works great for wonky experimental stuff but it’s a bit too much for straight-up techno, so I’m using it quite conservatively.
[...]

I have a Torso Electronics T-1 sequencer sat in front of it and I’m using the MIDI out to sequence the Pulsar because I feel that techno works best when the sequences are quite strict. A lot of sequencers have random functions that you can add, but the Torso’s sequencer randomisation is more musical and human-sounding so it’s great for giving nice variations to hi-hat patterns etc. If I’m muting different drum channels, I can do that with one hand by double-tapping certain keys and selecting and unmuting whole selections while I’m tweaking other parameters. 

Surgeon on how he ditched the studio to record an album with a tabletop live setup: "It’s funny, but people desperately want to know what gear I’m using" (Musicradar)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, o00o said:

there was a time when surgeon was a solid bank but as I went on  many festivals in the last year he just became one of many. he is still good but there is so much more like Blazej Malinowski, DVS1, Peter Van Hoesen, DJ NOBU, Valentino Mora, Claudio PRC etc to just name a few

To be fair, I have only seen DJ NOBU out of that lineup but for me, Da Surge is incomparable. What I didn't realize at Movement last weekend was that pretty much all these DJs let the whole track play and since their track selections are so homogenous, it was difficult not to get bored. Surgeon was in the underground stage, which was proper bunker vibes and he came blasting out with some classic dub. I found myself so excited because it was some novelty finally. He weaves in so many tracks and elements that it was impossible not to be dazzled the entire time. He also lets things "breathe" in key ways so that it's not a complete assault.

I'm probably biased because I treasure so many of his mixes that now go back 24 years or more (fuck). Also, while zoning out at the Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport, the man himself zipped past me in a Sunn O))) shirt. I debated for a second and then knew I had to be that guy because there will probably be no other opportunity. We're all gray af now. I gave chase. He is a very gracious dude and let me fanboy out while sipping a coffee and cream. I always get a kick out of soft spoken and chill artists who make completely brutal tunes. Anyway, achievement unlocked.    

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 9:06 AM, tokn said:

Killer LP after a lot of recent Surgeon felt kind of formulistic to me, a very good suprise. This is proper techno and makes me wanna go out to sweaty basement raves, like others mentioned here. Probably you know this gem, but Surgeon and Ilian Tape are a match made in heaven:

Been enjoying Crash Recoil loads again after not listening to it for a bit...proper awesome album 

Also been enjoying them 2 ilian Tapes e.ps ! They passed me by at the time for some reason

• Like 4