IGNORED

Anyone play chess? (there is currently a massive popularity boom)

Brisbot

Edit: Since I made this thread, I have come across 3 instances where people are talking about chess in activities that have nothing to do with chess. Online and one while I was out and about. This is really strange. IDK if before I started chess I was running into people talking about it but didn't take notice, OR if it really is becoming THAT big.

Anyone hopped on the current Chess popularity boom, here? I just started playing chess about 2 weeks ago and it's surprisingly engaging. I've known how to play for a long time, but past two weeks I have been playing a game or two daily. Very  fun and Easy flow state access as you have to concentrate the whole time if you want to win. 

I asked people at work about chess and found out a few people started playing chess within the past few months. There was a lot of drama that resulted in people paying attention to chess, even non-chess players. And apparently there is a popular youtuber league where popular youtubers play against each other. Which you know, causes an influx of new chess players.

https://www.chess.com/ - the largest chess website. It has lessons and puzzles as well but it's behind a paywall, so I recommend lichess.org if you wanna up your game for free. The tactic puzzles are great. And has lessons for beginners -> advanced.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2

Yeah man I like a spot of chess

One of the best New Year's Eve's I've had in recent years was just me and my wife playing chess and drinking cocktails. Was awesome.

Edited by BCM
  • Like 2

I started a couple of years ago on chess.com too, was more fun than I remember but I'm still too lazy to learn any real openings, it's a beautiful game imo

On 2/3/2023 at 11:30 AM, Summon Dot E X E said:

I wanted to learn it and had an app that had a tutor feature, but I have trouble thinking several steps ahead. I might gain that skill if I were to play a lot, but it seems like a big time commitment.

I definitely have a lot of respect for chess masters though.

I think there is a misconception that chess largely relies on having deep calculation of positions. It sometimes can benefit calculating certain critical lines in critical positions to ensure the move is good especially at the highest levels, but 90% of the game is a mix between good principles (opening principles, how to avoid making weaknesses in pawns) and pattern recognition (seeing basic tactics). If you learn those things, you'll beat most people based on instinct and thinking about the principles your move aligns with. It also helps you focus on what lines to calculate and what to throw out based purely on knowing immediately why it would be good/bad.

I think in recent years I've learned the most by watching one of Daniel Naroditsky's speedrun series, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfjI4jEY58s&list=PLT1F2nOxLHOeyyw85utYJpWtSmxvA-2WR. He usually breaks down positional the reasoning for moves, as well as opening concepts, and usually finishes the games with some cool tactics he usually explains. Lots of other youtube channels that do a good job teaching chess.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, vkxwz said:

I started a couple of years ago on chess.com too, was more fun than I remember but I'm still too lazy to learn any real openings, it's a beautiful game imo

You would probably do well then switching to Chess 960. It seems the openings for that are more abstract depending on the pieces. Nothing is set in stone.

And yeah it's simplicity into complexity is what is attractive. A human can get his mind around 64 squares at once... on the top level anyway. If it was more complex, with many more pieces and squares, it would probably be worse off for it even if it all made sense as a game in itself.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, xox said:

I’ve been playing chess on chess.com regularly for years; have tens of thousands games played 

Jesus. Blitz and all that right?

On 2/3/2023 at 1:30 PM, Summon Dot E X E said:

I wanted to learn it and had an app that had a tutor feature, but I have trouble thinking several steps ahead. I might gain that skill if I were to play a lot, but it seems like a big time commitment.

I definitely have a lot of respect for chess masters though.

Was the app Dr. Wolf?

Chess has been in and out of my life since childhood but I've played regularly on chess.com for a couple of years, I enjoy tactics and ballsy positional play rather than long analysis, with mixed results of course. Finding mate in 10 is impossible but I'll gladly fork & pin your pieces while you're setting your stupid endgame up. My heroes are Mikhail Tal and Morphy. I really enjoy Agadmator videos on YT. 

Edited by chim
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Jesus. Blitz and all that right?

Yes, usually 5-min games! But this is my latest account.
Throughout my time at university I’ve played over 70.000 games on yahoo-games ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 6:55 AM, iococoi said:

5f565bde-f254-49d4-ab49-e4e076939d97.jpeg

Yeah I will watch games from GM's and understand most of the moves and reasoning behind them. But GOOD LUCK playing a GM... or an IM.. or in my case anyone over about 1000 elo.

• 8 months later...

Knight = “horse” or “jumper”

Bishop = “hunter” or “laufer”

Rook = “cannon”

Pawn = “pedestrian”

Queen = “queen”

King = “king”

Edited by xox