IGNORED

Skinny Puppy w/ Lead Into Gold - When Nothing is True… Anything is Possible (2023 Farewell Tour)

Rubin Farr

SP are one of those bands whose discography you can get completely lost in, in a good way. the first half of it is superior to the second, as is almost always the case, although I remember Weapon being decent. they could have more good stuff in them. Ministry on the other hand cannot be saved.

posting this cos it needs to be:

11 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I need to binge a bunch of skinny puppy records this spring. 

VIVIsectVI is my favourite of the lot.

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

when i was a teen i had this 2 vhs collection of wax trax videos and i was obsessed with the lead into gold song "faster than light and harder." kinda wore out that particular part of the tape playing it over and over. that one and coil's windowpane were really powerful to 12-13 year old Alco

3 minutes ago, usagi said:

i remember seeing that cd as a youth and being like...is this 666 somehow?

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

11 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

The lyrics to Spasmolytic always give me goosebumps. So dark.
Made the mistake of putting it on a mix cd for a friend in uni. I have learned that this is a love or hate band, haha. Never an in between.

I have been a Patreon subscriber of Cevin Key's for a few years now. Every weekend he hosts an interview with other artists and friends. He has been annoyingly hush hush about skinny puppy for a while, but I think that may be due to a tour NDA which has been delayed since covid. Anyways, I recommend it!

Do you have this one? lol

B7CE3881-888D-474D-BAAD-A79DE838A955.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2023 at 6:27 PM, Alcofribas said:

i'm a little more familiar with ministry, having worked with chris connelly. 

but i know nothing about skinny puppy. they seem like an interesting band.

Some of the best SP side-projects worth tracking down

115F6BFC-22EA-493B-A09F-B683D8EA1A42.jpeg

0806843F-8AC7-4065-A66B-480AE7EE5A36.jpeg

download cover.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 2:18 AM, Alcofribas said:
On 3/31/2023 at 2:15 AM, usagi said:

i remember seeing that cd as a youth and being like...is this 666 somehow?

lol I only just realised the three VIs in the title do indeed be 666. I always read it lazily in my mind as "vivisect-vee"

2 minutes ago, usagi said:

lol I only just realised the three VIs in the title do indeed be 666. I always read it lazily in my mind as "vivisect-vee"

this is diabolic language. the devils tongue 

• 2 weeks later...

Not as elaborate as previous tours, but with no label support, making a profit is on their dime, and they've downsized to a 4 piece band now. Ogre was complaining about being old "I feel like I'm 16, but I'm 60. I'm 60? I'm 60!" Cevin was totally zoned out, good stuff.

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp4.jpg

sp5.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Not as elaborate as previous tours, but with no label support, making a profit is on their dime, and they've downsized to a 4 piece band now. Ogre was complaining about being old "I feel like I'm 16, but I'm 60. I'm 60? I'm 60!" Cevin was totally zoned out, good stuff.

sp1.jpg

nice pics!

btw Josh (dude w/long hair on the left) and Paul are Malekko Heavy Industry founders. Love those two fuckers! just stoked for them to be touring w/skinny puppy. like a group of old time homies. Josh is a HUGE skinny puppy fan and actually had what's his name's mini-moog.. i forget the story but he bought it from him long ago. It sat in the muffwiggler synth shop for a while so i played it all the time when it was slow... then josh eventually got tired of people wanking on it and put it back in his studio space.. understandably.

anyway, here's malekko's site

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com

:cisfor: 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

nice pics!

btw Josh (dude w/long hair on the left) and Paul are Malekko Heavy Industry founders. Love those two fuckers! just stoked for them to be touring w/skinny puppy. like a group of old time homies. Josh is a HUGE skinny puppy fan and actually had what's his name's mini-moog.. i forget the story but he bought it from him long ago. It sat in the muffwiggler synth shop for a while so i played it all the time when it was slow... then josh eventually got tired of people wanking on it and put it back in his studio space.. understandably.

anyway, here's malekko's site

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com

:cisfor: 

He has a split tongue, correct? He had some pretty intense guitar faces, lol

heard every song I expected, but no Tin Omen! party foul.

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

He has a split tongue, correct? He had some pretty intense guitar faces, lol

heard every song I expected, but no Tin Omen! party foul.

i don't think so but i haven't seen him in a while. if he does then this gives me time to think up a good joke before i see him again. 

Skinny Puppy were my favourite band for ages. Obsessing over all their music led me to their side projects, led me into electronic stuff proper via Download and finally gave me a real appreciation for music that can hold my attention without requiring lyrics. Makes me sad that it's the final tour and I'll never see them live, assuming they don't come to Europe. Think I'd be proper emotional to hear their stuff live. Mad to think I am a latecomer to their music and I have been listening to them for 20 years. 

I used to nerd out about Puppy to any and all who would listen to me bang on incessantly. Now everybody has to listen to me bang on about Autechre.

• Like 4

Here is a decently recorded show for those of us in Europe who may never get a chance to see them ; _ ; 

I saw them twice around 2011-2013 or so. They have a new sound guy on this tour so the live sound seems much better. 

Edited by gnarlybog
  • Like 1

Ogre is getting the shit kicked out of him on this tour. Supposedly lost 4 teeth in a stunt gone wrong a few nights ago... but still managed to finish the set! Before that, he had to cancel a show or the first time in 40 years due to a virus. On a previous tour he was jumped and had his jaw broken. Wile E. Coyote stuff.

• Sad 1

The Cincinnati show was awesome- this is the third time I’ve seen them. Columbus in 2004, Detroit in 2014, and this one a few days ago in Cincinnati. I’d def I have to say this was the best set of theirs, personally they did most of my favs, and specifically ones that they didn’t do the other times I saw them, or in most live videos

also lead into gold was fucking awesome. I would have gone just for them, tbh

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

i saw SP and lead into gold in minneapolis a bit ago.  skinny puppy was absolutely everything i hoped for, cevin key on his array of gear and toys and shit, live drummer who was fabulous, live guitars and bass and then ogre putting on a fantastic show with various masks and costumes and whatnot

had to sort of decide, am i going to FLA/ministry/etc show in milwaukee or SP and LiG in minneapolis and in the end skinny puppy won out largely because what i've seen of recent ministry shows was supremely underwhelming and i've never really given a shit about FLA

lots of great stage antics and overall perfect sound

lead into gold i dunno i guess if you're into that, they were ok, they didn't do anything for me personally but the folks i was with enjoyed it and apparently they are really nice guys so, i dunno

YMMV

edit: also this was the show where something happened to ogre's teeth

i'm pretty sure that i saw 'the aggressor' (whatever, the other person on stage with ogre 'beating' him) accidentally hit him in the teeth

they finished the set then we sat and cheered for what seemed like 20 minutes while the rest of the band did some brapping and jamming then ogre came back and explained he had like lost a tooth or something and his mouth was bleeding, well the other band members explained that and ogre was like 'what the fuck huh?'  

they did one more song anyways and then the show was over

Edited by hapbt
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...