IGNORED

Skrillex-quest for fire

watmmisdead

12 hours ago, Silent Member said:

You know what I'm sure he's a good guy that can make a decent banger, but he'll always be an intolerable little twat in my brain. I can't flip that switch off.

Sorry skilex  

Edit: in my defense he single-handedly ruined an entire subgenre.

I have to come down on this side. he is obviously capable of redeeming himself artistically, I mean if he's washed his ass clean enough to work with Flowdan (my favourite grime MC) then that wins points with me. I could listen to some of his better stuff and enjoy it. the old 100 page hatefest, while fun, was a long time ago.

however... that 00s to early 10s era was a golden age for various interesting forms of bass music (DMZ, Loefah, bongomeister Shackleton, 2562, The Bug, Pinch and the whole Tectonic roster, Ital Tek, Goth Trad, many many others) and he and his clones unleashed a torrent of corruption which drove good people away and ultimately caused its demise... so I could never accept him. you could argue he wasn't singlehandedly responsible for it (I'd agree) and that change/evolution in music scenes is inevitable whether it's in a direction you like or not (I'd agree). but he was such a noxious presence that it leaves a lasting memory, like something you catch a whiff of for a few seconds which smells so bad that you end up smelling it the rest of the day.

Spoiler

also his favourite AFX is Flim, what a tit. clean ur room sonny

Edited by usagi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, usagi said:

I have to come down on this side. he is obviously capable of redeeming himself artistically, I mean if he's washed his ass clean enough to work with Flowdan (my favourite grime MC) then that wins points with me. I could listen to some of his better stuff and enjoy it. the old 100 page hatefest, while fun, was a long time ago.

however... that 00s to early 10s era was a golden age for various interesting forms of bass music (DMZ, Loefah, bongomeister Shackleton, 2562, The Bug, Pinch and the whole Tectonic roster, Ital Tek, Goth Trad, many many others) and he and his clones unleashed a torrent of corruption which drove good people away and ultimately caused its demise... so I could never accept him. you could argue he wasn't singlehandedly responsible for it (I'd agree) and that change/evolution in music scenes is inevitable whether it's in a direction you like or not (I'd agree). but he was such a noxious presence that it leaves a lasting memory, like something you catch a whiff of for a few seconds which smells so bad that you end up smelling it the rest of the day.

Reveal hidden contents

Hit the nail on the head mate. That’s a great post.

Funnily enough I was thinking about Digital Mystikz the other day. Some of their tracks were badass. Shame they went away. A CD compilation would be great or even better on Bandcamp or Spotify. Education was a killer, killer track.

8 hours ago, usagi said:

Reveal hidden contents

this was a brilliant articulation of why skrillex sucks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Funnily enough I was thinking about Digital Mystikz the other day. Some of their tracks were badass. Shame they went away.

people come and go but the classic tunes have been immortalised in the canon (and, ideally, will shape the ideas of future producers). this ones shines like a light still, even more so with time and recent events.

also while the scene may have died, lots of people carried on in their own way, they just didn't use the besmirched d-word anymore. e.g. DMZ had their run but Mala kept going with Deep Medi which still puts out releases. Goth Trad still plays killer dub-heavy sets. the closest I thought any of the newer artists came to recapturing the original fire is Kahn, that little EP he did with Commodo and Gantz was magic and I wish they'd followed it up with more.

^ this stuff makes me miss Salv, he was into this kind of thing as much as I am and he was vocal about it.

• Like 5
  • Big Brain 1

theres some moments in this album that is pure genius. Im not entirely surprised. His production skills are quite amazing. I also feel in recent years he did show a clear tendency for him to go, once in a while, in idm'ish areas. His sounds has been steadily progressing and evolving. Even back in 2011 here at watmm, i didnt totally agree with the skrillex bashing, but understood the critics.  I feel @usagi really capture well the critics around skirllex at the times. Today? I would disagree with such a portrayal of skrillex, as a artist.

that said, this is pure pop for me. I would agree with anyone who dislike his new stuff: his vocals are cheesy often, often its repetitive and just pure pop. but still, I enjoy some of his stuff, unashamingly and find that he is quite a special voice in todays world of controlled main stream popular music, as sad as it is.

I personally loved this song by skrillex released 5 years ago:

this was released by skrillex two years ago; clearly, we are far from the 2010 skirllex:

on the new album, i feel those are highlights:

Edited by watmmisdead

1 hour ago, watmmisdead said:

pure genius.  quite amazing.  he is quite a special voice 

:cerious:

Edited by Silent Member

how funny that someone starts a thread about Skrollix and within two weeks Kahn & Neek, Ital Tek and now Shackleton all announce new releases.

I guess we should keep hating then.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

In my mildly inebriated state The Devil that is Spotify influenced me to listen to this album after Four Tet. Hah! I'm actually rather enjoying it. Not bad at all. Hail Satan 👹

• Like 2

This album is great and has more thought put into it than the things one may often associate Skrillex with. He may have been in the cohort that brought the downfall of certain kinds of bass music from the broader public but for the pop side of dance music this is incredibly strong stuff. I resent that "brostep" sullied the name of dubstep but there's still stuff that stands on its own merit as enjoyable. I totally understand and to some extent cosign the criticisms of it, too, though

• Like 1