IGNORED

Depeche Mode - Memento Mori

Out This Friday

Finally, a full on return to form - best since the Mark Bell days, and while that album isn't the best one, they took risks and worked with an amazing producer, and SOTU, Delta Machine and Spirit, while all had great tracks, just was going through the motions.

This is actually quite sonically interesting again with Gore and Ford doing some dark industrial sounds. I'm 1 listen in and I like this one quite a bit, think I might have to catch this tour after all..

spacer.png

Edited by sexagon hun
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, sexagon hun said:

Finally, a full on return to form - best since the Mark Bell days, and while that album isn't the best one, they took risks and worked with an amazing producer, and SOTU, Delta Machine and Spirit, while all had great tracks, just was going through the motions.

This is actually quite sonically interesting again with Gore and Ford doing some dark industrial sounds. I'm 1 listen in and I like this one quite a bit, think I might have to catch this tour after all..

Totally agree about SOTU & Delta Machine, the latter I consired to be one of their weakest album, even if it's OK and has its moments as usual. But I don't thing I ever thought anything was really uninteresting of their output.

Spirit (which James Ford also produced, along with Matrixxman), while not being near as their best work, is probably the most interesting album since PTA.

Really glad to read the popping reviews and advices telling they sound revived.

Maybe the AE collab will happen one day? ?

Edited by Jafs

Might check this out. Been through a few DM phases over the years as I guess they are a 'rite of passage' type of band for fans of the darker side of pop music. Like The Cure, Gary Numan, Joy Division etc. 

I think the last album I spent some time with was Exciter...which was a while back.

Edited by beerwolf

Good news: It's solid and nothing is super cringey. Vocals are strong and the arrangements seem more stripped down than I can ever recall?
While the tempos can get a little slow, it does not have that sluggishness of some of the more recent albums.

"Dont Say You Love Me" has stood out so far, as well as "Before We Drown"

2 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

"Dont Say You Love Me" has stood out so far, as well as "Before We Drown"

Same here, and I would add the final track ''Speak to Me''.

• Like 2

Willing to re-listen. It's a good sign. But the thing seems like a huge wall of sound. With clipping? LOTs of compression? IDK, may be my smartphone infrastructure, need to look at it @ PC.

Edit. Yes, it's an exhausting listen. Attachment related. I do not understand why they master like this. Too crowded with layers on layers on bass on bass on... 

Definitely one of those walls of sound albums where your ears just wish to Enjoy the Silence

Screenshot_20230324_200058.jpg

Edited by WurstPLUS

I've also noticed the sound is pretty hard and brittle. At least the songs are good. I also find them to be quite happy and uplifting despite the album's title and overall theme.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:56 PM, WurstPLUS said:

We Drown 2nd half is epic. But the production is terrible. Why why why...

Album details - Dynamic Range DB

The average DR of their releases has been about 7 since 20 years. PTA is clipped has hell, but the SACD was a bit better.

Edited by Jafs

8 hours ago, X4creek said:

i havent heard any other DM (im young apologies) but I'm really liking this! Favorite tracks are the closer and the two singles i think those 3 tracks are absolutely fantastic

get yourself Violator and a "best of" or "the singles" tout d'suite!

Edited by hayhook
  • Thanks 1