IGNORED

Internet Archive lawsuit

"March 25 (Reuters) - A U.S. judge has ruled that an online library operated by the nonprofit organization Internet Archive infringed the copyrights of four major U.S. publishers by lending out digitally scanned copies of their books."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-judge-rules-internet-archives-digital-book-lending-violates-copyrights-2023-03-25/

I've been seeing a lot of people talking about this, saying that it'll be the modern Library of Alexandria if archive.org goes under.   What's everyone's take on this?  

Either way, I went and downloaded some Wisp rarities and Sleepy Town Manufacture last night just in case.  Anybody got any good recommendations? 

8 hours ago, ignatius said:

fcuk those copyrights.  hopefully they argue that internet archive is acting as a library.. which also lends out books. 

I'm wondering if this will just impact their ability to lend out books or if it'll cause the whole site to get shut down.  I'm sure it'll impact ebook borrowing and lending in general.  Might even impact physical brick-and-mortar libraries too.  But I would hope that everything else like public domain books, films, music, etc. wouldn't be affected.  I hope.  

I read further and saw that a lot of the lawsuit had to do with the CDL program they were using.  They either got rid of the wait lists or made them more lenient towards how many people were borrowing ebooks at a time during covid.  

Also side note, author Chuck Wendig threw his support behind the publishing companies and the lawsuit and got bullied so hard he locked his twitter account and issued an apology. 

but, internet archive has copyrighted stuff right? making it ilegal? I never looked at it as a complete legal site... those Eva books I mentioned are copyright protected but random dudes just decided to upload them... anyway I have no clue what I'm talking about as always... ミ⁠●⁠﹏⁠☉⁠ミ

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

fcuk those copyrights.  hopefully they argue that internet archive is acting as a library.. which also lends out books. 

But libraries pay for hard copies of the books and have special copyright laws?

They need to argue they are something else, because they are so very important in preserving human knowledge and culture (like that amazing film "In Our Garden").

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

but, internet archive has copyrighted stuff right? making it ilegal? I never looked at it as a complete legal site... those Eva books I mentioned are copyright protected but random dudes just decided to upload them... anyway I have no clue what I'm talking about as always... ミ⁠●⁠﹏⁠☉⁠ミ

Yeah, this. I always wondered how they got away with “lending out” ebooks like that. 
I’m against overbearing copyright as much as the next guy (maybe even against copyright period) but labeling yourself an archive doesn’t give you the right to start passing around copies of each and every file that comes your way. They can’t not have seen this coming.

Edited by Limo
Typo
  • Like 1

feeling like I'm the only one who didn't use archive.org for pirating, wtf

I just want access to weird old films and propaganda and the occasional long-out-of-print book plz. and a place that will publicly host my tunes until the end of days

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, luke viia said:

I just want access to weird old films and propaganda and the occasional long-out-of-print book plz.

hashtag same

wayback machine too

• Like 4

10 hours ago, luke viia said:

feeling like I'm the only one who didn't use archive.org for pirating, wtf

No idea it devolved into this before tripping thru the acid house wormhole in this thread... lordy.  Could've sworn just a few years ago the musics were mostly just live sets from a smattering of artists with fanbois into the tape-sharing scene.

3 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

I'm about halfway thru reading Ficciones at this very moment (a $4 used paperback mind u), so I'm guessing a coincidence like this was inevitable -

11 hours ago, luke viia said:

and a place that will publicly host my tunes until the end of days

You can't just hold out another 18-24 months?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

It makes me feel like a huge manchild that everyone is using this site for books, except me who uses it to download ps1 and N64 roms for my vita

ROMS are an amazing part of the archive along with old DJ setlist too, discovered lots of old arcade games that became my favourites thru it. 

10 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

It makes me feel like a huge manchild that everyone is using this site for books, except me who uses it to download ps1 and N64 roms for my vita

10 hours ago, milkface said:

It's got some amazing stuff to download on it but the web page archive is by far the coolest feature, like this snapshot of WATMM in October 2003 or ebay in January 1999

9 hours ago, neglectedlove said:

ROMS are an amazing part of the archive along with old DJ setlist too, discovered lots of old arcade games that became my favourites thru it. 

This is why its so much more than a library. Like my public library is dope - they lend musical instruments, have makerspaces, etc. but look at all this knowledge that is up on archive. Intellectual Property laws need significant change. Lawrence Lessig kind of got at it 12 years ago (earlier than that actually but this speech to the World Intellectual Property Organization is amazing) here. 30 minutes well spent.

• Like 3