IGNORED

Internet Archive lawsuit

On 3/26/2023 at 12:43 AM, prdctvsm said:

+ Analogue bubblebath series (AB2 fuck yeah!) and incredible good rip of the whole Universal Indicator series (good riddance to the muddy Youtube videos uploaded 11 years ago). Also hosting AFX and Mike P Soundcloud dumps and tons of live goodies (videos as well as audio). "Archiving" something that is available for purchasing elsewhere is a little bit naughty, but where can you buy those?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:15 PM, chenGOD said:

This is why its so much more than a library. Like my public library is dope - they lend musical instruments, have makerspaces, etc. but look at all this knowledge that is up on archive. Intellectual Property laws need significant change. Lawrence Lessig kind of got at it 12 years ago (earlier than that actually but this speech to the World Intellectual Property Organization is amazing) here. 30 minutes well spent.

it's 

:whistling:

Lessig is awesome. I read Free Culture, yeah, about 12 years ago. 

It is, of course, free (though you can buy a hard copy if you want)

or, 

• Like 1

350 pages?? meh i just had Bing summarize it for me. good enough :nyan:

“Free Culture” is a book by law professor Lawrence Lessig that was released on the Internet under the Creative Commons Attribution/Non-commercial license on March 25, 20041. The book discusses how big media uses technology and the law to lock down culture and control creativity1. Lessig defines “Free Culture” not as “free” as in “Free Beer”, but “free” as in "free speech"1. A free culture supports and protects its creators and innovators directly and indirectly1. It directly supports creators and innovators by granting intellectual property rights1. Lessig claims to defend a free culture that is balanced between control — a culture that has property, rules, and contracts pertaining to property that are enforced by the state — and anarchy — a culture that can grow and thrive when others are allowed to use and build upon the property of others1.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Farnsworth 2

On 3/29/2023 at 12:09 PM, luke viia said:

it's 

lol that's what I get for drunk posting.

Thanks for the link to the book, I read it once long ago but yeah Lessig is great.

• Like 1

The WCCA Worcester, MA public access collection is amazing.  The trick is to sort by date, oldest to newest, and find the stuff from the 80s and early 90s, where this stuff lives:

https://archive.org/details/organicvapor4

https://archive.org/details/staticfusion54

Edited by TubularCorporation
Archive.org auto embeds are completely fucked.