IGNORED

Fred Again.. (the artist)

thumbass

So what do you guys think of Fred Again..? He hasn't gained a lot of traction on this forum yet, but he's been gaining massive popularity these past months/ years. I personally really enjoy his stuff so I thought why not make a thread on him, although I do think a lot of you guys are going to find him mainstream crap. 

I also usually am not a fan of the mainstream producers but what sets this guy apart is that imo he creates a really nice emotional experience throughout his albums documenting life during the pandemic. And the Four tet/ Skrillex collabs are amazing of course. His livesets are insane as well

He also has an ambient album out now on Four Tets label together with Brian Eno.

https://fredagainagain.bandcamp.com/album/secret-life

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Very curious to hear to Eno album this weekend, I'm struggling to even imagine what it will sound like. 

I'm excited as well. I heard that Eno was a type of mentor to him, he helped him Amp his production skills

scanned the boiler room set. that kind of stuff reminds of early days of rave before everything got split up into tribes.. when dj's would play stuff from all over the map w/hip hip style breakdowns right into rave pianos and fast breaks or whatever. so, in that way it's nice but seems more pop just because the passage of time and what things look like today in that world. but people are having a good time there and enjoying it so seems all good right?  things that aren't my cup of tea usually come off better when the person on the decks or whatever doesn't present themselves as a super star dj expecting cult worship from trancecrackers.. 

rambling on...needlessly ?

also, worth mentioning that in the states it all feels different depending on where someone is. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

• thumbass changed the title to Fred Again.. (the artist)

i skimmed through the yt links you provided, and my first impression is that he must be a very positive guy with a good sense for party vibezz, but music-wise it's like tik-tok music drop-the-bass-autotune cheesy piano emotions kind of guy, or maybe i'm just old and listen to drexciya too much idk

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

listen to drexciya too much idk

so, you listen to drexciya the 'just right' amount then... 

• Big Brain 1

he's one of those 'nepo babies' I keep hearing so much about right?

I'm sure his family's immense generational wealth does not define his art practice

Spoiler

*farts*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, Friendly Stranger said:

Very curious to hear to Eno album this weekend, I'm struggling to even imagine what it will sound like. 

I listened to a bit of it on NTS yesterday. Ambient with a lot of vocal samples. Not bad but wish Eno would have collaborated with someone else.

His finger drumming and performances are pretty impressive but the music itself is mostly bland. Like a watered down version of Ross From Friends or Bicep. Like @hello spiralmentioned he wouldn't really be famous if he wasn't basically British royalty whose parents are friends with Brian Eno

On 5/3/2023 at 2:28 PM, ignatius said:

scanned the boiler room set. that kind of stuff reminds of early days of rave before everything got split up into tribes.. when dj's would play stuff from all over the map w/hip hip style breakdowns right into rave pianos and fast breaks or whatever. so, in that way it's nice but seems more pop just because the passage of time and what things look like today in that world. but people are having a good time there and enjoying it so seems all good right?  things that aren't my cup of tea usually come off better when the person on the decks or whatever doesn't present themselves as a super star dj expecting cult worship from trancecrackers.. 

rambling on...needlessly ?

also, worth mentioning that in the states it all feels different depending on where someone is. 

Yea he is a bit much. The eno stuff sounds pretty from what I heard on NTS but I was wrapping up work at the time and not in the zone at all for it. Will try again in a tranquil setting. 

Dj stuff is fine. Some nice stuff but some obnoxious

Freds a talemt, love his stuff....don't give a fuck that he's mainstream and nepo his music is awesome

Anyhow off to go listen to him & Brian! 

• Like 1

I love the dynamic between Skrillex FT and Fred. Four tet is such a boomer compared to the rest and the younger people don't know what a legend he is, he seems to not care. I like that he's getting more popular because of his association with Skrillex and Fred.

Can't wait to listen to secret life.

https://fredagainagain.bandcamp.com/album/secret-life

Was a little underwhelmed on 1st listen but had a few more replays today& enjoyed it a lot more, so think it will be a grower.

Not sure if any of it tops this though, fucking love this remix & the orgional full e.p by fred again & Headie 1 worth a listen as well

• Like 1

Will be checking out this thread. Just for curiosity. Those really nice, ‘YES WE REALLY ARE NICE!’ cocksuckers over on DIS already have drawn a bead on him just for coming from a privileged background. The hypocrisy of self proclaimed ultra tolerant people who’s belief system literally smashes at 3000mph into the buffers as soon as they come across anyone who has a bit of cash, or has a slightly different worldview than them never fails to fascinate me. 

Edited by beerwolf

Great album, really tranquil listen. I like that he hasn't sold out yet and is willing to put out something as not-commercial as an ambient album. Respect. Actual Life 3 is probably my favorite album of his yet, but he hasn't missed so far imo.

• Like 1