IGNORED

Why do people listen to Aphex Twin?

Guest The Bro

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Death and Taxes

because in a review somewhere someone said that postal service sounded like aphex twin with lyrics, so death cab fans had their link to the electronic music world.

the truth is, aphex, unlike typical experimental electronic, has universal appeal. a lot of pop melodies and though the beats can be heavily breaky they still maintain danceability. i reckon you could toss BoC in there too. both have cross-genre appeal. both sound like instrumental versions of some of the "fag" bands out there now that rip their sound off and toss some shite vocals over top of it.

but, like i said. universal appeal. how many jazz bands cover autechre.

“i want to know scientifically, why i like this sort of music.”

You should be trying to understand from an emotional point of view. Dickie is mindful of the melodies he puts into a track.

“….why is it geek music? what is it in the music that appeals to geeks.”

It’s geek music because it’s so technical. It’s clear people desperately want to know what he uses and how he uses it…and he ain’t telling, which is a big part of the mystique and appeal of his music.

...but, like i said. universal appeal. how many jazz bands cover autechre.

LoL that one.

I like RDJ stuff because I'm interested in processes, and well executed ones at that. I call it kungfu. RDJs kungfu is good. You can hear in his tracks just how much time has been spent in exploration, both of music and of the technical aspects of sound production. Dude needs a labcoat and goggles as well as a conductor's baton.

That said, there are many of his tracks that I don't listen to, and don't like. But taken as part of the whole body of his work, it is more of the process laid out for you.

Ironically, I'd say the presence of those less beloved tracks is indicitave of self acceptance as an artist in process, and also a way of not ever being quite fully reclusive.

Guest Replicant
“i want to know scientifically, why i like this sort of music.”

You should be trying to understand from an emotional point of view. Dickie is mindful of the melodies he puts into a track.

“….why is it geek music? what is it in the music that appeals to geeks.”

It’s geek music because it’s so technical. It’s clear people desperately want to know what he uses and how he uses it…and he ain’t telling, which is a big part of the mystique and appeal of his music.

I agree to a certian extent, but then again, aren't we at least some what aware of what he is using?

Ever since he said that he writes his own music making software, I've been insanely curious.

It's hard to imagine that he made Drukqs on Ableton with the same 5 VSTs I use. Of course I'm sure he could if he wanted to...

Guest Promo
omg some normal people listen to afx twins, i'm not special anymore. buhhuhu

why do you give a fuck?

I care because you don't. :laughing:

omg some normal people listen to afx twins, i'm not special anymore. buhhuhu

why do you give a fuck?

I care because you don't. :laughing:

I C See 3 head rails :tongue:

(i know, that was terrible)

Guest Death and Taxes
LoL that one.

I like RDJ stuff because I'm interested in processes, and well executed ones at that. I call it kungfu. RDJs kungfu is good. You can hear in his tracks just how much time has been spent in exploration, both of music and of the technical aspects of sound production. Dude needs a labcoat and goggles as well as a conductor's baton.

That said, there are many of his tracks that I don't listen to, and don't like. But taken as part of the whole body of his work, it is more of the process laid out for you.

Ironically, I'd say the presence of those less beloved tracks is indicitave of self acceptance as an artist in process, and also a way of not ever being quite fully reclusive.

well said. and usually i would've been like "kungfu what the fuck is he talking about" but a few weeks ago i was reading an article on hong kong and learned that kungfu is a broadly used term to mean "skill" :cool:

LoL that one.

well said. and usually i would've been like "kungfu what the fuck is he talking about" but a few weeks ago i was reading an article on hong kong and learned that kungfu is a broadly used term to mean "skill" :cool:

Oddly enough, according to my martial arts teacher (who studied in China during the 80's), kung fu is actually used most often in denoting culinary skill :grin:

Cooking beats is how I refer to making music anyway...

Looks like David Carradine might have misled us all :ohmy:

I like RDJ because I can extract as much or as little emotion as I like, even from the same song depending on when I listen to it.The proper Drill stuff also often feels like a big 'fuck you' to other people's taste if I think it's shit. The ambient side works for me in the same way as BoC, that feeling of exhiliaration that I can't really explain.

And as for being 'cool', I've always been chuffed about having songs called 'Cunt' and 'Phlid'.

IMO, aphex makes the most quality electronic music out there. aphex is how i got into electronic music, that was 5 years ago and since then i haven't been able to find anything that compares to his creativity and style. it seems like just about (if not all) artists that put out electronic music these days have been greatly influenced by richard in one way or another. there are some other electronic artists out there besides aphex that make good stuff, like autechre (mostly the new stuff), boc, squarepusher, vibert (again, all influenced by aphex). i geuss after listening to aphex for so long, and hearing how good electronic music can be, it's easy to be dissapointed by other artists.

i kinda see electronic music broken up like this...60%- average/poor music, that is usually uninspired, or tries to push the boundries in such extreme ways that it just falls flat. i've researched alot of music on sites like boomkat, and i've downloaded alot of stuff. and 90% of the time i'm just dissapointed.

the other 40% is stuff like autechre, vibert, boc which is really good and usually inventive, but in the long run doesn't hold a match to most aphex.

these are just MY opinions...

as far as people on myspace that have Aphex among the other bullshit emo/pop/"alternative" on there music list, well it's pretty obvious to me that most of those people (who have terrible taste otherwise) are just sheep, plain and simple. there's an entire plethora of "sheep" out there that listen to "alterative" music because they want to be different not because they are. they do not truley appreciate music.

I think it's really weird when people listen to music for the sake of being "different" (usually they end up listening to the same stuff a million other people trying to be different listen to). I listen to music because it sounds good, or it strikes me emotionally, or it has something unique, be it something super poppy on Billboard top 10 or something really obscure that only 10 people know about. It's ridiculous how many people on messageboards like this get off on how obscure their music tastes are and seem to listen to music primarily for that reason rather than for the quality of the music/production, or they just can't appreciate what's good about more easily accessible music.

I listen to Aphex Twin because his music sounds so distinct and provides me with something no other music does (most of the time). I like his approach to production and melodies. His music always sounds kind of cocky, and I like that. (Wait, does that make it fag music? I hear fags like cock.)

• 3 months later...

Because aphex is still the best, thats why. If you really like it and want to hear more then you'll probably end up getting into other stuff like everyone here but still nobody comes close to rdj in terms of sheer originality and talent in the world of electronic music. Thats my two cents.

I know who you mean (ok so bump-o-rama as usual, but nevermind) with the Last.FM people who are like "Omg I listen to Aphex I am t3h best". I think it's to show they are open minded or something like.... playing the really mainstream albums to be in-the-know or something, who knows I guess.

Guest Caustic
I know who you mean (ok so bump-o-rama as usual, but nevermind) with the Last.FM people who are like "Omg I listen to Aphex I am t3h best". I think it's to show they are open minded or something like.... playing the really mainstream albums to be in-the-know or something, who knows I guess.

yeah,people like that,if you ask them something like "what do you think of ICBYD?" they'd usually reply "wtf is that. i love Windowlicker/Come to daddy/some shit hoax they found on Limewire."

(I can't get that fucking vid, with the two guys killing me with girlboy and rubber joohnei, out of my head.. Whatever the purpose of that was, I hate it.)

By making music so damn good, it becomes vulnerable for the listener at the same time - at least if you have this awesome connection to it. Something suddenly kinda' ruins it - but luckily these things only last for a short while and is partly due to how bad you want it to be your own.

(I mean 2 days ago maybe I wouldn't have given a f about those 2 guys.)

ppl like whatever they >think< they like, but it sure is a true shame if music gets listened to just to get a certain approach from others.

Archived