IGNORED

Arrested Development

autopilot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
Guest maantecaaa!!!

I've been going through the whole series in the past couple weeks. There's one recurring joke/theme I don't get. The family members sometimes speak with really poor grammar, eg:

"Daddy horny, Michael"

"Look at banner, Michael"

"I got a letter from Army"

The most likely possibility I can guess is that the family is poorly educated despite their wealth. Is that it? The only other thing I can think of is that everyone has gotten used to speaking to speaking to Michael at the level of a 5 year old.

• 1 year later...

i've watched the first 3 episodes of this show, and so far it doesn't really seem to deserve all the praise it's getting. i mean, it's funny, but nowhere near for example curb your enthusiasm funny. does it get any better?

Guest bitroast

it gets better on the assumption that you'll be able to get into the humour and characters a little more.

or not. ??????

either way. yes (imo)

Guest Franklin

i've watched the first 3 episodes of this show, and so far it doesn't really seem to deserve all the praise it's getting. i mean, it's funny, but nowhere near for example curb your enthusiasm funny. does it get any better?

don't get me wrong, Curb is hilarious, and certainly one of my favorite shows, but AD is in a class by itself really. It's tough to compare it to anything (other than maybe the larry sanders show to a lesser extent) because it has a continuous plot and each line is written and re-written to be concise, intelligent, and funny.

Keep going data, and pay attention.

edit: I just noticed my own signature line below lol!

The show should be called "Tobias and GOB steals the show"

fixed

and with regards to comparisons with Curb - CYE is an altogether different kind of comedy, based almost entirely on the cynicism of Larry David, which you're waiting to see bubble over by the time the episode's through. You won't get any of this here, but I think the fun comes from how crowded the show gets - around the middle of season two - where there are just infinite references back and forth that just fly by. The camp style is overbearing at times though, imo, as is Ron Howard's narration

cool, guess i'll keep watching then. i wasn't really comparing the style of the show with curb, it just seems like they get an equal amount of hype. anyway fanx!

my favorite show ever... if you dont like the humor, then you dont like the humor... but I think its brilliant... and the subtleties are perfection... Ive watched all the seasons at least 5 times, and it was probably by the 3rd-4th time through that I felt I had made all the connections and picked up on all of the subtle references.

Archived