IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

1 hour ago, Berk said:

^Not shown are my 70s mixer with lush spring reverb, my new Korg sq1 and the neutron I'm receiving today. 

Now I gotta stop being a gear slut for a while. My excuse was that I'm not or hardly spending any money on going on vacation etc, but yeah..

That looks good, but you should probably get some speakers or at least headphones too. Otherwise it all sounds kind of quiet. ?

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

That looks good, but you should probably get some speakers or at least headphones too. Otherwise it all sounds kind of quiet. ?

Got a pair of akg k240s (first pic, in the right) ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

much slimmed down my setup (haven't sold anything, just put it away for a bit).

in this pic are my juno 106, korg dw-8000, behringer model d, tascam 2488, korg sq-1, yamaha rev500, roland srv-3030, t.c. electronic m350, zoom rfx-1100, novation drum station and behringer fca-1616 interface.1a9a834bf2336406b1f01bed0d5fb951.jpg

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, BCM said:

in this pic are my juno 106, korg dw-8000, behringer model d, tascam 2488, korg sq-1, yamaha rev500, roland srv-3030, t.c. electronic m350, zoom rfx-1100, novation drum station and behringer fca-1616 interface.1a9a834bf2336406b1f01bed0d5fb951.jpg

This is such a cool room, so much light. I bet it's hella fun to work on your tracks there

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BCM said:

pro tip: make sure your speaker stands on the washing machine for a great flanger effect

• Like 5
  • Farnsworth 1

I found a picture of my setup circa 1997, behold the masterful ergonomics

received_3811978062151876.jpeg

If you're wondering where the chair is, there was none, I sat on the floor or stood. Yes , there's a Juno 106 and a DW-8000 in this picture as well.

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, BCM said:

Where are yoo groupies maang?! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCM said:

it must be interesting having the speakers placed behind your ears. i'm getting dizzy just thinking about how it sounds. i too would like to nap on those couches though. 

• Like 1

fucking knew you lot would moan about the monitor placement lol. i've got to work with what's available yo and I usually push my chair way back every now and again to get a proper stereo image etc so it's not an issue. anyone who's ever listened to my tracks - any major mixing issues? no.

so stfu for realz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, BCM said:

What's the rack thing enclosure? Seems really neat and light. My rack stuff is all over the place as monitor stands basically, so occasionally I think about something more professiona.

Edited by thawkins

1 hour ago, BCM said:

fucking knew you lot would moan about the monitor placement lol. i've got to work with what's available yo and I usually push my chair way back every now and again to get a proper stereo image etc so it's not an issue. anyone who's ever listened to my tracks - any major mixing issues? no.

so stfu for realz.

lol. i only said it must be _interesting_ but figured you are used to it. 

• Like 1

Just now, BCM said:

Thanks! Although I have to say it looks flimsy as hell, I am pretty sure my Roland XV5080 alone is enough to structurally destroy it. ?

By the way off topic but your sig seems to have enough space for an additional studio space (or maybe something is up with my browser).

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 00.06.36.png

Those cheap rack frames are actually pretty solid usually.  Once you have stuff mounted in it, the actual rack units themselves are what hold it together, the little bar in the back is more to keep it in position while you mount stuff and make it a little more sturdy.

My rack is one of these I found in the trash with the top part missing, and it's completely flimsy when it's empty but as soon as you put a couple things in it then it's as solid as the giant steel server rack I had before (also from the trash) and abandoned in an apartment because it was bigger than a refrigerator and weighed almost 200 pounds empty. I've used it for about 7 years and it's been through three moves and is just fine still.

I've also had good luck screwing my rack gear to two chunks of 2x4 and then screwing some plywood panels on the sides as feet.  Ugly but it works.

Point being it's the gear that holds the rack together, so you really don't need much actual rack unless you're going to be playing out with it. So if you need one you can usually get away with the cheapest one you can find.

• Like 2

This style is what I'd be more hesitant about, because the parts that it rests on are separate pieces of metal from the actual rack so they could get loose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-8U-Desktop-Rack-2-Post/dp/B01NBPL8OP/

I've used a couple of Startech 2u server rack things that screw together like that but they've all been attached to wooden frames or the underside of a desk so there's not really any chance of anything loosening up.  If it was going to be freestanding I'd look for something like BCM has where the foot part and the rack rail part on each side is a single piece of metal. As long as the metal's not flimsy you should be in good shape with that design.

• Like 1

and anyway, all that shit about speaker placement and reflections and stereo imaging etc is all fucking bollocks.

like, can you fucking hear it?

deece.

• Like 1