IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Here's my attempt. I'm currently not happy at all with the feng shui of gear placement. Because it's an IKEA shelf, I've only got like 50cm of depth room and I can't figure out a nice way to place the things so they're both easy to use and not cramped/placed precariously all over the place.

I have the thinner Ivar shelves, and I use it to store anything I'm not using in my setup, pedals and stuff. It's perfect for that. Not the best desk, tho I thought of doing the same thing.

Edited by sheathe

so nice! I really need to work on making my desk setup a bit more minimal. I have too much stuff cluttering the desk and it's hindering my productivity a little. I'm almost there with my current setup, but then I see stuff like this and think it'd be lovely to have that much space.. perhaps I need to put up some shelves or something..

It certainly helps. I like to keep some gear in my closet so I can focus on one piece at a time.I work from this desk so I need space to do "desky" things. Also it was a $60 ikea hack.

Do you use the OT as a centerpiece? If so, how?

Edited by sheathe

Here's my attempt. I'm currently not happy at all with the feng shui of gear placement. Because it's an IKEA shelf, I've only got like 50cm of depth room and I can't figure out a nice way to place the things so they're both easy to use and not cramped/placed precariously all over the place.

I have the thinner Ivar shelves, and I use it to store anything I'm not using in my setup, pedals and stuff. It's perfect for that. Not the best desk, tho I thought of doing the same thing.

It's not actually that bad, the vertical beams only get in the way because my gear is sprawling like some out of control oil spill. I've seen a lot of inspiring minimal clutter setups here and I thought that restricting myself in this way would force me not to buy too much (bulky) gear and learn to use whatever I've got efficiently. In retrospect the microkey 61 might have been overkill. :)

How is the cat working out for you? I've heard lots of people have had issues with them.

Yes!

The OT is the master MIDI clock and my mixer has a feature so that when I mute something it goes out of outputs 3/4, which go directly into the Octatrack. My laptop acts as an instrument just like everything else.

This basically allows me to sample anything plugged into my mixer when I mute it and everything is in sync.

Here's a table with some stuff on it (lots of recent joy using the A4, Moisturizer + modular together):

KPi2fsD.jpg

how's the lady that you sing to?

Here's a table with some stuff on it (lots of recent joy using the A4, Moisturizer + modular together):

KPi2fsD.jpg

I know black cats are super common but this guy reminds me of Salem from Sabrina The Teenage Witch. I imagine him saying snarky things while you jam?

"You call that a synth patch?

1989 called and it wants cliche era sounds back

How long have you spent EQ'ing those hi hats?"

Yes!

The OT is the master MIDI clock and my mixer has a feature so that when I mute something it goes out of outputs 3/4, which go directly into the Octatrack. My laptop acts as an instrument just like everything else.

This basically allows me to sample anything plugged into my mixer when I mute it and everything is in sync.

Yeah I use my mixer and OT the same way. It's the only thing that makes sense as far as integrating it. Having some clock issues when using OT as slave. I guess ableton has a pretty terrible clock. The OT transport will act like it is tripping over itself when it's slaved to Abe.

Yup, I tried various iterations. I find that I get the most benefits from realtime resampling if everything follows the OT clock.

Hopefully get a pic of the new studio in a months time. Concrete footings are going in today ha.

Nice!  I started my move early and got a few things in yesterday, but the landlord hasn't changed the locks yet so I only moved stuff that nobody would be likely to take in the unlikely event that they walked in off the street (so far just wood, sweaters and a heavy drill press that takes two people to lift) Should be moved completely in 3-4 weeks and set up in another 1-2.

No concrete footings, but if all goes well in a few months I'm going to approach the landlord about letting me have access to the crawlspace above the apartment to set up a reverb chamber.

oh that sounds wicked man.

I bet they'll go for it, they are great and are really music friendly (there has been at least one hip hop album produced in there and a few bands have practiced there over the years, as long as you aren't an ass about it and work with them and the neighbors then it's all good) but the guy I'm replacing was kind of a problem and they actually padlocked the access hatch to stop him going up there and messing with the wiring, so I'm going to give it some time for them to get to know me better before I bring it up, haha.  It's perfect though, there's a little hatch with a ladder about 15 feet from where my DAW will be set up, I'd just need to stick a half decent budget monitor speaker and a half decent cheap mic up there (good enough to sound OK but cheap enough that I wouldn't mind leaving it up there all the time in the elements and probably eventually ruining it) and run the cables down when I needed to.

EDIT: the downside is a lot of my heat will be going straight up that hatch, too.

Edited by RSP

• 2 weeks later...