IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Yeah, it can be surprising sometimes what the best part of the track turns out to be. In the track I wrote last week, Signal, I started off with a Jamie Principle style simple arpeggio running through it. Musically, it was the least interesting part of the track, just 3 notes repeating, for a very basic sort of polymetre that's so popular in simple acid house. But once I'd wired up a patch for it, with a slowly evolving acidline style patch using a Putney style filter I recently got, then run it through some effects, it really came to life and became a prominent, interesting part of the track. Which shouldn't surprise me at all, as acid house has always favoured slowly evolving timbres over the actual music for where the interest lies, kind of by definition. But I still wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it did, much better than the more musically interesting channels in the track.

(I don't mean to say anything bad about acid house here. I love a good acid house track. But there's only so much people can concentrate on at once, so the more timbrally interesting an instrument gets, the less musically interesting what it's saying has to be, for balance. That way, the listener isn't overwhelmed with too much to concentrate on at once. That way jazz and modern IDM lie, and only other musicians like listening to those.)

im actually a bit ashamed of my current 'studio' (read: room) as its a wire hazard

and mine must be nothing compared to other peoples!

I have been dreaming of a way to have a room of patchbays, with electrical points littered about so i could just pick up my fx boxes and elektrons ans synths and just move them around easily.. at the mo everything is spaghettied with everything else. i think im going to do that sometime.

moving things around to a 'work table' would really benefit me - i sometimes like working with small amounts of kit at one time

(I don't mean to say anything bad about acid house here. I love a good acid house track. But there's only so much people can concentrate on at once, so the more timbrally interesting an instrument gets, the less musically interesting what it's saying has to be, for balance. That way, the listener isn't overwhelmed with too much to concentrate on at once. That way jazz and modern IDM lie, and only other musicians like listening to those.)

always a balancing act, moreso with modular... very easy to just randomise the randomisation

Edited by lala

always a balancing act, moreso with modular... very easy to just randomise the randomisation

Ha, I'm really tame for a modular user in that respect. I like having options, and being able to think laterally about a patch, such as adding a BBD chorusing type effect to some oscillators before filtering and attenuating it, because that makes sense in my mind... but I never did get excited about making completely automated systems with my synth, or wiring up especially complex patches. I usually tend to wire up reasonably simple, straightforward patches that only sometimes take real advantage of being modular in the first place. I only got an LFO again the other week! Usually I just prefer to ride the knobs manually. Live tweaking's half the fun. :)

ive been listening to your music and i can see/hear that..

ok, heres mine:

vigmcw.png

current room. i hate it. need to get out asap.

vcxfkx.png

Ms20 mini (dont like it, i need to get the one with both filters)

PRO-2
SH101

2uihczs.png

euro frankensynth and Macbeth mk1

210ndpy.png

Midas desk F32

Dual osc X0Xbox with I/O mod
lots of TC gear for some reason - CCC/M300/M3000/Voiceworks
Aphex exciter
Lexicon PCM70
Sherman Filterbank 2
Yamaha TX81Z
RYTM
A4

korg monotron delay <wicked bit of kit btw

wak594.png

And this is my latest way of learning kit - ive got an old pedestal that my current things go on, instead of, say leaving the fx in a corner racked up and hard to get to... much much better for me to be productive on!!! so:

Octatrack

Fireworx

its a name my ex called me, she was Japanese

also im one of those really un-mad people that like to tell everyone how absolutely crazy and off the wall they are

I love the Venice

Really nice eq & pre-amps, super flexible..channels always send to the daw. I can press a button and receive from the daw for vst or FX processing. 6 aux, 4 groups and 2 matrix (not sure how to use those best yet)

As for the sound, its darker than I'm used to. warm. But I can achieve such a punchy sound I'm really happy. punchy like kraftwerk tour de France drums.

Makes mixing so much fun. The monitoring is weird because it's a live desk but I don't know any others so ive got my head around it.

Only thing is my computer mixing usb and firewire isn't straightforward.. I pc.. But it's possible.

Just mixing a snare and kick with a decent room reverb has got the pow I've been after. Bliss

All my songs use it in my sig if you want to hear it

And just buying an SSL G4000 clone for the 2 buss

I need some eq or exciter and compressor action there and my sound will

Improve ten fold

lala, I think your studio is the only one I've ever seen that has the potential to be super awesome, yet it's for some reason covered in a thick layer of dust, with gear just laying everywhere. Or maybe others who have dust-covered studios just have shitty cameras. Anyway, man..... Your studio is like a beautiful woman who doesn't bathe or dress well.

I'm being complimentary, btw! Sorry, no offense intended. Except... The dust..... It's like an IDM Superstar was abducted by aliens, and the room was left untouched for ages.

All right, enough.

tell me about it!

i bought this little badbwoy specifically for this purpose1965799_DV7210N_1.jpg

The only place in the internet where you get peer pressured into buying a vacuum cleaner to clean your electronic music dungeon

pahahahaha

maybe i will post a picture of my studio through deepdream to be well current

from that i then thought was maybe a metasynth image but deepdreamed with it only knowing the spectrum of another tune/tunes so it does weirdness

everytime it recognises an amen type break it puts a new amen or something

fractal fucking amens zoomed into it

• 2 weeks later...