IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

People are usually too excited to release every little achievement they make in their own personal progress with music thinking it is a centre of the world.

Yeah, "first test" videos on YouTube are a glaring symptom of this sickness (as well as the consumerist focus in a lot of culture). Let me see what you can do with that thing after a few hundred hours of use instead!!!

And as if that wasn't enough, there's the "unboxing" videos that are basically a whole big genre in itself.

Guest Chesney

I want to hate on Jev's attitude and outlook but to be honest I agree with 90% of the sentiment. I just wouldn't have been so brazen cunty about it. But i'm ok with it.

There are a lot of really bland musicians out there with no identity and bland music as a result but not everyone can be individual and break music molds.

Having said that, this is just an opinion. The music I like is not the pinnacle of music. Maybe all these people actually like the music they listen to and it's not them just trying to fit in and belong somewhere?

Who knows?

EdIT: Jev, i'm interested in hearing the music you make, PM me a link if you don't want to post in here.

Edited by Chesney

I also agree that there's way too much grey sludge, particularly since the internet and 'free' tools. Don't like the arrogant attitude though especially coming from someone who doesn't understand the context and refuses to even try to.
Music serves many different functions and therefore takes on many different forms, an inability to see that doesn't suggest a very experienced or rounded view.

I also want to hear Jev's music, PM me too if you have some but don't want to share publicly.

Edited by Brian Dance

Guest Chesney

Thing is we know nothing about Jev yet and what he considers good music.

I have rules for myself making music and have rules for what I like from artists and rules are always broken if the music is good enough.

On one hand I despise presets and will never use them, I HAVE to make every element myself in order to feel like I am accomplishing something. I don't care how others made their music if I like the result, what they use is their dilemma. But I do respect people more for effort when it comes to other music that I do not listen to particularly.

I am assuming Jev is similar, but the taste maybe totally different.

I have to sometimes remind myself that people like the sound of these presets and drum machines etc so they do not need processing and turning into something new. I mean, basic drum sounds and presets are the main reason to buy/use something right?

Edited by Chesney

Guest Chesney

And of course, Jev, I am not suggesting you to justify yourself to us. Who are we to do that?

I'm just interested to see where you are coming from.

Thing is we know nothing about Jev yet and what he considers good music.

Neubauten says a lot about that.

I have to sometimes remind myself that people like the sound of these presets and drum machines etc so they do not need processing and turning into something new. I mean, basic drum sounds and presets are the main reason to buy/use something right?

Not for me, i delete all presets and sounds. You cannot develop your own sound using stuff like that.

The point is, this area of the internet is occupied by braindance / electro / noise artist. In my opinion it's only natural that these discussions come up. Jev has strong opinions resulting from his taste. A bit less cunty would be nice, yes. But that's not mandatory for having a proper discussion on things.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I do the same regarding presets but the reason people buy, for example an 808 or 909 is for that sound. The raw sound and character is the reason we buy one thing over the other.

Having real drum sounds in a library is really convenient as alot of people just want real drum sounds, We can't discount those people because that's the sound they want?

you have a lot of hate for formula

you know how restaurants interview new chefs? they don't ask them to make coq au vin. they ask them to make scrambled eggs. you feel me now?

also, curious what you think about fluorescent grey's music. links to follow......

I have a lot of hate for music released just because their producers had fun making it while jamming a physically exciting piece of gear...

What wankers! Having fun making music and thinking there might be someone else who also likes it! Vile creatures.

If you cannot sit and listen carefully to a track without impatient movement and other distractions and finding no (at least jarring) mistake in it, then the track is probably not worth releasing.

This just shows how far removed you are from actually listening to music, as also evidenced by your embarrassing reaction to the DJ tool. Not every piece of music is fucking meant to be listened to sat down like some fucking academic analysis.

People are usually too excited to release every little achievement they make in their own personal progress with music thinking it is a centre of the world.

Or people are caught up in enjoying something and figure they'd see if others will enjoy it too. Sometimes you just like something and you wanna share it. Not everyone has your level of ego within themselves.

Like you guys, it's impossible for me to use presets, I always feel like I'd be cheating whenever I consider using some.

But it's a whole different story IMHO when it comes to someone else's work.

Some tunes are insane when it comes to originality, skills and craftmanship, but won't move me at all, and I then feel like all the obvious skills are worthless.

Some are deceptively generic, and even more so if you break down all their elements and start to analyse the tune, and yet for whatever reason(s) they just work their magic.

I went down the virtuoso rabbit-hole, listening to insanely complex/elaborated stuffs... to realise that it was a dead-end. The very positive thing though is that now I'm much, much less biased when discovering a new piece of music, regardless of its genre. It's liberating to me.

As usual, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Nil

I love those geeky discussions... but damn re-reading my post (actually, most of my posts...) I seem to be pontificating haha. Not my point at all.

Guest Chesney

I wouldn't worry, it really hard not to on the internet. I try to be as Devils advocate as possible which results in loosing gravitas with my opinion. Might make me seem a boring poster but at least I feel I am no cunt. Though if people thought I was, that's fine.

I used to never ever use presets but I'm a bit more relaxed about it now when I'm doing commission work, still design 99% of the sounds but sometimes I know a preset of a particular synth will work perfectly although I do tend to just delete the lot of them as soon as I get a new piece of gear. Obviously still treat the sound afterwards.

Used to be really precious and have rules but I'm way more into whatever works now. I care about making good music, not some ego trip about how I created every single last detail from scratch. Who cares how you made it if it sounds shit? Does it touch, move and/or interest people?
Still tend to make all the sounds because I find it really fun and it's often quicker for me to get the results I'm after. I know some people that make good tunes and are signed to v respectable labels that don't have a clue about synthesis.

There's also the whole thing of sounds as cultural signifiers, the ultra overused sounds remind you of certain things, trigger emotions and memories (memory is a super important part of music). Amen break, 909, hoover etc. etc.
If you're able to make something fresh/interesting/enjoyable using just the sounds of a 909 then I say more power to you.

It's highly unlikely that it's presets in the dj tool track I posted, check out the video of his first day with it, no preset sounds at all and that was 3+ years ago.

I had a similarly pretentious attitude to yours when I was a teenager. Used to show up to dj sets and just play the best, maddest shit I had - then think everyone was plebs for not liking it or dancing.
Now I take great pleasure in getting a dance floor going and once they're under the spell taking them wherever I like. Getting a room full of people to dance to wonderful, bizarre music is vvvvvvv fun but you have to be gentle.

Post some of your music Jev.

Guest Chesney

Used to be really precious and have rules but I'm way more into whatever works now. I care about making good music, not some ego trip about how I created every single last detail from scratch. Who cares how you made it if it sounds shit? Does it touch, move and/or interest people?

I don't think it's ago trip, certainly not in my case. It's just a personal thing. I won't be bragging about the fact and belittling others that don't do the same. Sometimes I wish people would stay off well trodden paths and make the music which would naturally flow if they were given some tools without these used sounds, but I think that's different to belittling.

"Good music" is subjective so it's really pointless us even talking about it on a forum. That would be really boring though right ;)

I used to never ever use presets but I'm a bit more relaxed about it

Used to be really precious and have rules but I'm way more into whatever works now. I care about making good music, not some ego trip about how I created every single last detail from scratch. Who cares how you made it if it sounds shit? Does it touch, move and/or interest people?.

Hear hear.

I've been using loads of midi piano and preset drum sounds recently in order to completely go against my own old preciousness about using presets.

Does it matter if the artist that drew the picture you really dig made his own pencils and paper?

Not saying you're ego tripping and as stated above I mostly make all of my own sounds too.
The comments are more in reference to Jev's condescending attitude.
I hold originality and imagination in the highest regard but to sneer at everything that's not pushing boundaries is moronic.
There is, of course way too much total shite being released everyday but it's easily ignored.

What I mean in the statement you quoted is that the results are more important to me than the process. The process isn't unimportant but it pales in comparison to the finished thing.
Look at Damogen Furies, it's undeniably original and he made it from the ground up (if you consider making patches in Reaktor ground up) but I've never met anyone who enjoys that album and I know a lot of electronic music lovers.

Guest Chesney

I get yer Brian. All good.

Lets get some pics up in this thread.

This is my favourite hardware piece that does not fit in the studio

10f5d9j.jpg